Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone else wear.....

Gareth · 19 · 1895

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Anyone else wear.....
on: January 19, 2015, 03:51:31 PM
the humble string vest?  After all, if it's good enough for Edmund Hillary then it can't be all bad. :D
WIN_20150119_144502.JPG
* WIN_20150119_144502.JPG (Filesize: 198.44 KB)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:00:10 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Anyone else wear.....
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:18:11 PM
It was good enough for Rab C Nesbitt too  :whistle:

I'll pass  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:18:28 PM
It was good enough for Rab C Nesbitt too  :whistle:

I'll pass  ;)

Yeah, somehow I knew he'd come up in this thread. :D  Thing is, if you don't wear something over the string vest it won't work.  Mister Nesbitt was doing it wrong. ::)

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:08:14 PM
what are they used for? like a normal undershirt or?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 11:16:28 PM
what are they used for? like a normal undershirt or?

that's the idea.  The mesh holes should, in theory, trap air and help regulate body temperature.  Think modern, synthetic, base layer but less likely to make me sweat. ;)

hr Offline styx

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 11:41:22 PM
ok now they sound interesting

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 11:56:06 PM
These seem to be very popular amongst road racing cyclists, though they call them mesh base layers I believe.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 12:17:11 AM
The reason I'm going to give these a go is that synthetic base layers always make me sweat (and I've tried a lot of different ones from cheap to top of the line) and I don't care about how well something "wicks" sweat/water in your clothing layers isn't good when hiking in cold weather.  So, for the last couple of year I've gone back to a cotton t-shirt and greatly lessened the amount I sweat.  Now I get the disadvantages of cotton; once it's wet it holds the water and so cannot hold air pockets that make for insulation.  Of course as long as I don't get the t-shirt wet then this isn't actually a problem, but things can go wrong. 

The idea of the mesh/string base layer is that it's less likely to make you sweat in the first place, isn't affected by being wet (the open weave doesn't care if the fabric is wet) and so will maintain a good level of insulation.

The disadvantages are that you must use them under a "capping" layer that'll stop the wind from taking away your nice warm air pockets and that I've been told they might cause a level of chaffing if they do get wet.  :-\

Of course, none of this would be an issue if synthetic base layers didn't make me sweat, but sadly they do.  YMMV.

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 12:50:15 AM
Damn that's insightful. Well if it works for you then great. And don't forget that an extra layer might help with chafing which cotton can cause

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 01:41:35 AM
The reason I'm going to give these a go is that synthetic base layers always make me sweat (and I've tried a lot of different ones from cheap to top of the line) and I don't care about how well something "wicks" sweat/water in your clothing layers isn't good when hiking in cold weather.  So, for the last couple of year I've gone back to a cotton t-shirt and greatly lessened the amount I sweat.  Now I get the disadvantages of cotton; once it's wet it holds the water and so cannot hold air pockets that make for insulation.  Of course as long as I don't get the t-shirt wet then this isn't actually a problem, but things can go wrong. 

The idea of the mesh/string base layer is that it's less likely to make you sweat in the first place, isn't affected by being wet (the open weave doesn't care if the fabric is wet) and so will maintain a good level of insulation.

The disadvantages are that you must use them under a "capping" layer that'll stop the wind from taking away your nice warm air pockets and that I've been told they might cause a level of chaffing if they do get wet.  :-\

Of course, none of this would be an issue if synthetic base layers didn't make me sweat, but sadly they do.  YMMV.

Good luck Grampa  :tu: :P :D :D

I do get the theory, but I think times have moved on a bit  :whistle:  ;) Fair play to you though if you haven't found a modern replacement that works for you. Just remember to pack some plasters too, to protect from joggers nipple  :ahhh :ahhh

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 04:53:51 AM

Good luck Grampa  :tu: :D :D

I do get the theory, but I think times have moved on a bit  :whistle:  ;) Fair play to you though if you haven't found a modern replacement that works for you. Just remember to pack some plasters too, to protect from joggers nipple  :ahhh :ahhh
Grrr. Joggers Nips will be the death of me. Surprising it only happens with 50/50 shirts.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 09:24:24 PM
Trust me gents, the plasters are already on the packing list for the next outing. ;)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 09:34:36 PM

A vest with smaller holes will work better, by the way, as it stops/slows down the occurence of convection currents in the air pocket. :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 10:21:27 PM
I had a light blue one when I was younger. I  made some holes on it and wore it either as it was or over a black Tshirt. In fact I considered it lucky because I wore it during my exams for  the Medical School. I kept it somewhere but my wife threw it away stealthly at some point. No puzzle, girls loved it (it was perfect with that Heavy Metal look I had then).
Apart from that it was good for old time (WWII) tank or battleship in the tropics service.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 03:30:43 PM
i always wear, pure cotton. good for health, bad for charisma :)))

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:16 PM
Funnily enough I've just been using these for the last couple of weekends.  I've been very happy with the results; nice and regular temperature, not too hot when working hard, but stayed nice and warm when camping out for the night in -3C.  Suiting me much more that synthetic base layers have done. :)

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 07:36:38 AM
It is a good shirt. Just dont wear them with backbag on a long hike. You will get nice cross design on your skin.

When i was in army, we were issued two of these shirts, and istructed how to use them. Alltough our shirts had short sleeves on them.

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 10:30:03 AM
well technically t-shirts are underwear

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 01:48:03 PM
I used to, but then switched to a v-neck tee, the older kid on the other hand loves them.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%