Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Buck Compadre Series.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
New Buck Compadre Series.
on: January 21, 2015, 10:24:09 AM

Some new camping cutting tools from Buck.  I actually quite like the look of the machete type thing.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: New Buck Compadre Series.
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 07:31:46 PM
Yup, that one is interesting. :tu: Not too fond of the red look though. :shrug:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:54:16 PM
It does rather look like someone has slapped some red oxide paint on them, doesn't it. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:44 PM
I like the red....it's not like your trying to hunt. I'm totally okay with visible tools.
Again; enough of you haven't set down something in the woods and either never found it or spent way too long looking for it.

I think half my time in the boyscouts as a leader was looking for younger scouts crap!!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:37:25 PM
I like the knife, but I don't know anything about that steel. You guys?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 03:07:05 PM
I really like the look of those tools and especially like the handles on the Axe/machette  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:27 PM
5160 is a fairly common low chromium spring steel. It is an older steel so most people do not give it the credit it deserves.
It is very popular for hot forged blades as it works easily and with practice can be reliably heat treated by the hobbyist at home. It forges easily though is prone to cracking if worked below temperature. 5160 readily takes an edge an has a potential to be very durable when flexed. It is prone to surface rust hence the powder coating on bucks offerings, however it takes a long time for serious rust damage beyond the surface due to the chromium content.

It has been largely supplanted by 1095 due to 1095 having slightly higher edge retention,  1095 also seams to throw a spark off a ferro rod better, a down side to the chrome in 5160 as also seen in most stainless.

Common industrial uses include auto leaf and coil springs and agricultural machinery blades.

Cold steel's proprietary "Carbon V" steel is a close enough variant to be considered comparable from what I understand.
  It is essentially the same steel just a small trace element difference to make it proprietary and therefore "special". You would need to be a true metallurgist with a lab to tell the difference between a blind sample. In the end it comes down to process as to the final properties of the blade.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:01:30 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:12:51 PM
5160 is a fairly common low chromium spring steel. It is an older steel so most people do not give it the credit it deserves.
It is very popular for hot forged blades as it works easily and with practice can be reliably heat treated by the hobbyist at home. It forges easily though is prone to cracking if worked below temperature. 5160 readily takes an edge an has a potential to be very durable when flexed. It is prone to surface rust hence the powder coating on bucks offerings, however it takes a long time for serious rust damage beyond the surface due to the chromium content.

It has been largely supplanted by 1095 due to 1095 having slightly higher edge retention,  1095 also seams to throw a spark off a ferro rod better, a down side to the chrome in 5160 as also seen in most stainless.

Common industrial uses include auto leaf and coil springs and agricultural machinery blades.

Cold steel's proprietary "Carbon V" steel is a close enough variant to be considered comparable from what I understand.
  It is essentially the same steel just a small trace element difference to make it proprietary and therefore "special". You would need to be a true metallurgist with a lab to tell the difference between a blind sample. In the end it comes down to process as to the final properties of the blade.

Thank you!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69