Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Tale of Two Spydercos

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
A Tale of Two Spydercos
on: January 21, 2015, 10:48:13 PM
Anyone who has been around a bit will know that I have a job that is really brutal on gear- just ask my Wingman or my MUT.  Pretty much every time I post about how quickly and/or badly my gear rusts, sooner or later someone says "Hey Def, try Spyderco's H1!"

So, I have obtained a couple of Pacific Salt 1's (in yellow of course!) to see how well they hold up.  The plain edge version has been riding in my work vest for a little while now, so the handle might seem a little more worn.  Sorry the pics are a bit blurrier than usual, I tried taking pics without a tripod.... I should know better...

Outside of multitools and SAKs I have more Spydercos than anything else, and they keep multiplying.  I love Spydercos quite a bit, as evidenced by two separate threads entitled Itsy Bitsy Spydercos:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,35800.0.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,8161.0.html

My photos of my rare blue G-10 Native or the UK Legal slippie I covered at SHOT a few years ago!  :P

As you can see, I really like Spyderco knives.  Will these Spydercos live up to the others that I like so much?  Probably- they are virtually the same type of construction that I appreciate in the others, although to be honest, I am less fond of FRN models than I am other handle types.  They seem cheap compared to the carbon fiber, micarta, g-10, steel etc that is used in other handles.

I have nothing against FRN handles mind you, they are tough as nails and get the job done, they just aren't as fancy as I guess I am used to.

In this case I am more than happy to take the FRN handles, especially considering the environment these knives are expected to be used in- the less the material can corrode, the better.  While you might think that CF (for example) is just as corrosion resistant as FRN, you'd be right, except that the CF would require pins and other hardware to hold it all together, all of which is of course susceptible.

I've been told the blades have less edge holding abilities than other Spydies, which honestly, I don't mind.  I would rather have a knife with a softer steel that I can touch up almost anywhere than a fancy super hard steel that holds it's edge for a long while but can't be sharpened without a diamond.

This knife is patterned on the Endura, which is actually a Spyderco I never could really get on with.  There was nothing about it that turned me off, but also nothing that really gave me "the fizz" as James May would say.  With any luck, the fact that I will be able to use these in a harsh environment should hopefully get me over that particular hump- no pun intended.

You have probably already noticed that the blades aren't the only differences here- they have different pocket clips as well.  I'm not sure what, if any significance that is, but perhaps one of our resident Spydie enthusiasts might be able to solve that mystery.

So how well will it hold up?  Only time will tell.  Needless to say, if it survives in my work vest for more than a few months, it'll survive anywhere.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: A Tale of Two Spydercos
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:33:38 AM
Great review. I love me some H-1!

The square clip is a older version and was phased out. The hour glass is the new shape. I prefer the squared off clip personally.

By the way its not a Pacific Salt 1. Its just a Salt 1. The Pacific Salt is larger.  :pok:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 03:49:06 AM
I was told
Serrated h1 work hardens with sharpening and use. It can get close to as hard as zdp189.

I own a little h1 Dragonfly I got as a gift from my secret Santa this year.

I've used it a little and it seems to hold a decent edge.

I dyed it a red orange.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:09:59 AM
I was told
Serrated h1 work hardens with sharpening and use. It can get close to as hard as zdp189.

I dyed it a red orange.

I have heard this as well, but I have also heard it takes much more force and heat to harden H-1 than use or sharpening could ever produce. I personally believe it only hardens from more heat and force than use or sharpening can produce. It has been seen that the serrated H-1 comes harder from the factory and holds a edge longer than the plain edge. This would make sense as the process of cutting the serrations would cause the edge to harden. I'm not sure though.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 04:42:36 AM
I was told

I dyed it a red orange.

I have heard this as well, but I have also heard it takes much more force and heat to harden H-1 than use or sharpening could ever produce. I personally believe it only hardens from more heat and force than use or sharpening can produce. It has been seen that the serrated H-1 comes harder from the factory and holds a edge longer than the plain edge. This would make sense as the process of cutting the serrations would cause the edge to harden. I'm not sure though.  :think:

It is just the natural ability of SE blade to hold an edge longer not any additional hardness imo. A function of having teeeth that can tear even when it is not so sharp.

Cappy is right on about the clips though.

Also H1 is not heat treated it is precipitation treated.

us Online sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 04:54:35 AM
Grant,

FYI -  those are just the Salt 1's that have around a 3 inch blade.  The Pacific Salt's are alittle bigger, I believe the blades are closer to 3 3/4 inches!

Great looking set though!!  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:13:07 AM
Thanks for correcting me!  I guess I should pay more attention when I make posts like these!

Def

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 01:20:53 PM
I would like  them better with a combo edge  :whistle:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 01:27:12 PM
Two is one, one is none!  :P

Def

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

no Offline Grathr

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 05:38:47 PM
Im looking forward to see how they hold up. :popcorn:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 02:42:21 AM
I would have loved to have one of those back when I worked on the river. I'll be watching this for further developments. tom.   8)
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%