Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Fuse Or Juice S2.

Inky · 29 · 2428

gb Offline Inky

on: January 22, 2015, 09:38:53 AM
First up, I realise this is an old topic, not least because the Fuse is now discontinued and the Juice has been made worse (IMO) by its revamp but, nevertheless, I think it's a question that is probably still being asked... Well I asked it recently anyway.

I have been a big fan of the Fuse for sometime and have carried one daily at work for a few years now. To be honest I pretty much like everything about it, good tool set, nice locks (it's one advantage over the Pulse) and nice size and weight (the Blast, though it has a file etc. is too bulky for my taste). I know people don't like the inserts or complain that they a sharp but a light sand sorts that out in no time.

I have a Pulse, which I also like but I have wanted to carry a small tool daily (out of work) where, in te UK, it is ileagle to carry locking tools. I considered the Juice S2 for some time before buying. Even though it has many good reviews I simply didn't like the look of it really. The sissors seemed oversized for the tool, the blade looked ugly and the can/bottle opener just awkward. I also thought the choice of three flat head screwdrivers excessive. I read a review once, maybe on here, where someone described the S2 as a crap Swiss army knife with pliers and fom looks alone, I suspected it might be true. However, there are not loads of options for quality nonlocking Leatherman tools and in the end I thought, thousands seem very happy with it it must be good. I should just add that in the midst of all this deliberation I did by a Kick but found that there was little difference in weight and size to the Fuse once in your pocket/sheath and while nonlocking, I'd rather just take my chances with the Fuse.

As for the Juice, I've had it a month or so now and yep, I think a crap Swiss army knife with pliers is a pretty accurate description. The springs seem weak, as do most the tools (not all, Phillips is good if short and the blade, while ugly, is functional). The sissors might be big but give me the small ones on the Fuse/Pulse any day. It is light and very pocket friendly, there is no denying it, and for this reason it is certainly not without merit.

So, in conclusion, if you are going to carry it in your pocket and you just want a fairl light duty but practical tool, the Juice (which, incidently, is significantly more expensive here than a Fuse) could be for you. Personally, I think the Fuse is still a far superior tool, and could potentially be carried in a pocket or a low profile sheath.
I guess my next question is, is the sideclip really much better that the Kick or the Juice?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:08:18 AM by Inky »

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Re: Leatherman Fuse Or Juice S2.
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:42:50 AM
If you like the Fuse,  what about a Kick?

gb Offline Inky

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:21 AM
As I mintioned, I did buy a kick (I have since passed it on but have also not entirely discounted going back to one) but I found that the size and weight meant it was not significantly different to carry than the Fuse, which is superior in every way (bar the legal aspect of carrying it in public).

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:30:40 AM
So, what's your take on the Blast??
If your prepared to carry the locking Fuse, you might as well try the Blast  :tu:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:37:19 AM

I too have juice, I tried to like them but I just can't.

Sideclip is hard to comeby nowadays, and I heard the handles hurt when use as pliers.

IMO rebar is far superior than the old kick/fuse/blast line. There was reason why they retired.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:40:02 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:40:11 AM
The Juice line should be the superior choice, but as most of us agree it isn't, simply because they don't make it properly. It's very frustrating, as I don't think it would cost too much in the way of investment to improve the line. There is of course the issue of the monetary cost to the user too.

The Fuse and Kick can be fairly easily modified, and I have one of each that is a bladeless mod. They are both fairly comfortable tools in use IMHO, and yes I also find the Blast a bit too bulky. Personally I don't consider the Rebar to be a great choice even though it puts a Blast type loadout in a Fuse sized frame. I don't think the ergos are that nice (less comfortable than Fuse), there's no scissors, and I'm not a fan of the plier heads. Modding will let you tailor the tools to your needs, but will increase the costs as more than one tool needs to be bought.

As regards stock models, I don't think Leatherman are currently well placed for UK urban daily carry. This is why the ones I carry are modded  ;) It might be worth looking at a Gerber Balance. It does have softish backsprings again, but I personally think the tool overall is better than a Juice equivalent, and it saves additional costs on modding - although you will probably find a modded Fuse to be a better tool than the Balance  :pok:

The Sideclip and PSTs are nice slimline tools which are very inobtrusive, but of course in pliers mode they can be uncomfortable if used hard as you are gripping on a thin metal edge. The SOG Pocket Power Plier compensates for this by having compound leverage and reducing the gripping force required, but adds a couple of other negatives instead (wider handle splay and the "gears of madness")

Another mod which could be considered and which has been done by a few members here, is taking a Gerber MP400 and switching the knife for a file from a MP450. This also means you have a stash of spare drivers tucked away in a drawer in you damage one  ;)

For a quick fix - try the Gerber Balance (good deals to be found on Amazon occasionally)

For a longer term solution - consider modifying a Fuse to suit your needs (bladeless) and pair it with a non-locking folder or SAK

:cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Inky

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:08:42 PM
Regards the Blast, I just find it too big, don't need a saw for everyday carry (can't really say I need a file either but I like it on the Pulse). I have a Charge TTI, which I think is a nice tool until you open the pliers, then it goes down hill fast IMO. I find that the gap between the plier handle is far too small because of the outside tools and it is too easy to catch your hand. I also think the internal tool selection is iffy.

I think you are right 50ft-trad that the juice should be good but it is ill thought out. As for the Rebar, I'm not convinced. I do like the way it looks but the knife is thin and bendy and it has a few too many tools I don't need. I still regard the Fuse and Pulse my favourite tools, I really wish they would bring out an updated Pulse with decent locks and a Rebar type body. I have to say all in all, when I look at the current Leathetman line I think it has gone down hill in recent years with gimmicks take precedence over genuine innovation.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:19:31 PM
I think if the Fuse has a chance to get you in trouble cause it has locking tools, then I would go with the Kick.  I dont care for the Juice line either.

Have you given any thought to a sak?  They dont lock and you have alot of choices in tool setup!  :)

gb Offline Inky

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 08:09:45 PM
I have a few SAKs my fave for edc is the Wenger classic 16, just what I need and no more but I do like/use pliers. But when you compare the Wenger 16 to the S2 (which pliers aside is a fair comparison) the Wenger is a much nicer tool (possible exception of the Phillips bit).
But returning to the topic, I'm starting to think you might have a point about the kick, there are not many other options.

Everyone seems to say the sideclip is better than the kick, is it really, or is it just because it's rare (and therefore cool)?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 08:23:27 PM
I would suggest Kick to you, there is enough room inside to mod in another tool like scissors.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 08:27:54 PM
Everyone seems to say the sideclip is better than the kick, is it really, or is it just because it's rare (and therefore cool)?

The Sideclip is slimmer, lighter, and harder to track down

The Kick is more comfortable with heavier duty pliers

Choose your preference  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Inky

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 08:59:59 PM
I can't ! Lol. Quite honestly I'm not finding either of them all that easy to acquire at a decent price.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:06 PM
I can't ! Lol. Quite honestly I'm not finding either of them all that easy to acquire at a decent price.

What do you consider "a decent price"?  They are all around for about $20 but I dont know about shipping to you though!

gb Offline Inky

Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 11:51:54 PM
I'd consider $20 a very decent price! If you know of one count me in!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 12:13:20 AM
I'd consider $20 a very decent price! If you know of one count me in!

I just see alot of them on Ebay and like I said, I have no idea what shipping costs would be for one to you.  You could check Ebay and see if you can find one that ships to you.

Just to clarify, I am referring to the Kick not the Fuse or the Juice's!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:15:04 AM by sir_mike »

gb Offline Inky

Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 08:44:07 AM
Cheers, I'm looking into it.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 08:53:18 AM
Just pick up a Squirt and be done with it.

Or is there some UK law against the Squirt blade length or lock type?

gb Offline Inky

Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 11:36:24 AM
Don't like the squirt at all. I've been carrying a Gerber Dime for the past two years on my keys, much better tool IMO.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 06:44:51 PM
Cheers, I'm looking into it.

Let us know if you find one or if you dont!

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 10:59:46 PM
I really like the fuse and kick, super comfortable ! I would go knife less fuse and Wenger highlander.
Oh yeah the juice line IMHO suck.

Sak's  rule !
CHEERS

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 02:52:55 AM
Don't like the squirt at all. I've been carrying a Gerber Dime for the past two years on my keys, much better tool IMO.

:facepalm:

gb Offline Inky

Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 05:59:43 AM
To return to the topic, or rather, expand it slightly, as non-locking Leathermans go, how do the PST PST II compare to the Kick/Sideclip, especially in terms of the sprigs/catches that keep the tool in place? Do people have other suggestions for a decent non-locking pocket friendly Multitool?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 09:39:49 AM
The only issue with the pst / pst2 is uncomfortable in plier mode plus with the blade out and the handles together it could be classed as a lock  :-\ i would go bladeless kick/fuse,ive got a juice xe6,i kind of like it but sadly it should be perfect for its price  :-\ i carry a vic explorer or handyman or swisschamp for daily edc,depends how often you use large pliers day to day,good luck  :tu:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 10:51:12 AM
Comparing a Sideclip to a PST, the Sideclip's handles are made from marginally thicker steel and are a little more comfortable to use. The screwdriver selection on a Sidclip is also better.

The problem is they're rarer. I bought a mint one for £35 a year or so ago, and it's now my favourite MT. I don't use it at work, but it's with me all the time off work.

gb Offline Inky

Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 11:04:22 AM
Yep it does all seem to head back to the Sideclip time and again. Can't seem to get hold of one at the mo.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 03:44:43 AM

...with the blade out and the handles together it could be classed as a lock 

Some of these knife laws make my head hurt.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 09:32:12 PM
I think if the Fuse has a chance to get you in trouble cause it has locking tools, then I would go with the Kick. 

Apologies for being late in due to being away and also if this point has been covered but I am fairly certain only locking knife blades are a legal EDC issue in UK.

IMO that makes a knifeless Fuse a really string contender over Kick and other non-locking LMs.

FWIW for urban duties I carry a Juice S2 (pre-2014) with no real confidence but a whole load better than people I come across with nothing  :rofl: but if I think there is a job to be done then its a knifeless Fuse day.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51510.msg1018487.html#msg1018487

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:35:27 PM by pingu »

gb Offline Inky

Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 12:11:02 AM
The only trouble with that logic is that the knife if one of the most used features (for me anyway) of a multi tool. I've been carrying a S2 for the past month and apart from the fact it's small and light I really just don't like it. I don't want to carry a SAK and a multi tool so something like the Kick (well, actually, the Kick) seems like the best all round compromise if you want to be certain of staying on the right side of the law. Sometimes I just carry a Pulse because I don't think the chances of me being stopped and searched are all that great.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 12:19:48 AM
Regarding the Kick. Why isn't it on the Leatherman website ? It isn't in the retired section .
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:21:40 AM by SteveC »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD