Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco Roadie

kirk13 · 68 · 6332

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Spyderco Roadie
on: January 22, 2015, 02:27:49 PM
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Spyderco Roadie
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:42:09 PM

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 02:46:57 PM
I think Spyderco tries too hard to keep coming up with some new knife to sell. They have a slew of knives in their catalogue, some almost repeats of other models except for some small detail. This one is a question of what were they trying to do, and who is it aimed at?

I admit I am not a fan of Spyderco, but those is like somebody tried to mess the Spyderco look with a traditional knife and it came out botched. Aside from being ugly, I question the double dent in the blade. Why not just have the spy die hole?

No, it just looks like someone's trying too hard to create something new but is confined within strict guide lines of Spyderco looks. I'd pass on it even of I were in the market for a pointless knife.

Folding butter knife perhaps?

And I can't understand why Spyderco knives have what looks like a fat tick on them?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:48:45 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 02:51:10 PM
Lots of love in the room then :rofl:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:57:33 PM

[/quote]

Yes, it's ugly and expensive
[/quote]

I guess that's the other thing I never understood. Why do Spyderco knives, with one single blade mounted in a synthetic handle of injection molded stuff, cost three or four times what a SAK with 6 or 8 blade/tools, made in a European country. Or more expensive than a Buck or Case three blade stockman made in the U.S.A.?

I get the trendy thing, but Spyderco knives are priced outrageously for what you get.  Heck, you can buy an Opinel for the price of two fast food lunches, and it will cut as well as any spyderco.

No, I guess I just don't really get it at all.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 02:59:49 PM
I don't like it. Even more so with the name that it was given
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

de Offline Kin-Luu

• Can never carry enough tools.
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 03:13:11 PM

I guess that's the other thing I never understood. Why do Spyderco knives, with one single blade mounted in a synthetic handle of injection molded stuff, cost three or four times what a SAK with 6 or 8 blade/tools, made in a European country. Or more expensive than a Buck or Case three blade stockman made in the U.S.A.?

I get the trendy thing, but Spyderco knives are priced outrageously for what you get.  Heck, you can buy an Opinel for the price of two fast food lunches, and it will cut as well as any spyderco.

No, I guess I just don't really get it at all.

But, but...

Spyderco knives are rather cheap?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 04:07:03 PM
From a video posted recently the lack of a spydie hole and the knife design itself was due to TSA allowing certain knifes on planes. 

I like spyderco however the price of that knife is rather high.  I can appreciate an occasional turd when companies try to do something different.  Heck in the same video mentioned the native 5 is damn near the exact knife its always been.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 05:25:22 PM
I'm a fan of Spyderco but some of their more recent collaborations and designs are really nonfunctional eyesores that play into a certain fantasy
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 05:38:24 PM
I'm not a huge Spydie fan, but the blade shape is pretty cool looking, just seems too pricey.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 09:44:53 PM
Wow a lot of hate about the Roadie! cbl51, everything you said that you "did not understand" why they did was all done to make it TSA compliant (when it was going to be legal again) as Aloha said.

I personally love the look of the Roadie and really want one. Not for $50 though.
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 09:50:42 PM
Wow a lot of hate about the Roadie! cbl51, everything you said that you "did not understand" why they did was all done to make it TSA compliant (when it was going to be legal again) as Aloha said.

I personally love the look of the Roadie and really want one. Not for $50 though.

At $50 I'd be tempted...£50 though?!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 10:48:04 PM
I saw it and thought it would make a great training knife for youngsters. And the steels good too :)

Bit rich though for a 2inch blade :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline pingu

Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 01:30:15 PM
Well my expensive single piece stainless steel and red plastic arrived in the post.

Having read this thread after ordering I was concerned but no need.  Price apart which is indefensible the Roadie is a beauty.  Any recipient used to a tiny Style or Classic sized blade will be delighted even if they don’t appreciate how much the gift cost.  Not a gift that the gifter will feel cheap about.

Forget the TSA objectives, the handle is just a great size to hold comfortably.  The blade is a perfect size and rigidity to grip comfortably when deploying and closing.   I totally get the double dimple as will any user concerned about damaging nail nicks.

Price apart the Roadie exceeds my expectations.  I’ll take some pics when I get some fruit in.  No not pineapples.  Only got bananas which is hardly a test.

Finally I guess appearance is subjective.  Most Europeans don’t like American autos (except for classics).  Not sure about 50ft-trad  :pok: but I’m fine with the Roadie.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 01:46:13 PM
 :popcorn:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 02:14:33 PM
I actually quite like it too :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 02:45:50 PM
If it was half the price I'd think about it, but not at over £50!
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 05:37:04 PM
I just checked my usual site and the Roadie is at $44.00 shipped and have released more colors. Black, Blue, Orange, Red, Grey.

Very tempting, but I can't get one right now.  :ahhh  I still think it is overpriced to be honest. Just my opinion without handling one is it should be a $35 knife at most.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:38:06 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 10:45:29 PM
So the steel is a little better....
How does this compete with an Alox Solo?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 10:51:55 PM
I just checked my usual site and the Roadie is at $44.00 shipped and have released more colors. Black, Blue, Orange, Red, Grey.

Very tempting, but I can't get one right now.  :ahhh  I still think it is overpriced to be honest. Just my opinion without handling one is it should be a $35 knife at most.

Not saying your at all wrong Cap., but if I could get one for $44,I'd break the arm of whoever was holding it! In $, they're 87 bucks here!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:54:32 PM by kirk13 »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 11:11:05 PM

Not saying your at all wrong Cap., but if I could get one for $44,I'd break the arm of whoever was holding it! In $, they're 87 bucks here!

According to a quick check on Bing, $35 USD is £22.34 GBP which is about £10 more than I would pay for it. Sorry, but I don't like the look of it at all, and would rather carry a Vic Classic.

I hope it serves Pingu well, but judging by the pics alone, I can't see any reason I would want one :shrug:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 11:37:49 PM
Well my expensive single piece stainless steel and red plastic arrived in the post.

Having read this thread after ordering I was concerned but no need.  Price apart which is indefensible the Roadie is a beauty.  Any recipient used to a tiny Style or Classic sized blade will be delighted even if they don’t appreciate how much the gift cost.  Not a gift that the gifter will feel cheap about.

Forget the TSA objectives, the handle is just a great size to hold comfortably.  The blade is a perfect size and rigidity to grip comfortably when deploying and closing.   I totally get the double dimple as will any user concerned about damaging nail nicks.

Price apart the Roadie exceeds my expectations.  I’ll take some pics when I get some fruit in.  No not pineapples.  Only got bananas which is hardly a test.

Finally I guess appearance is subjective.  Most Europeans don’t like American autos (except for classics).  Not sure about 50ft-trad  :pok: but I’m fine with the Roadie.

Is there any chance of a photo next to a classic and a 91mm SAK?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 11:56:44 PM

You can say i'm wrong anytime you want.   :)

I could not imagine paying $87 for a Roadie. I feel for you guys and pricing. It truly is a bummer.  :(  Is it just import taxes or what? 
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 12:18:38 AM

I could not imagine paying $87 for a Roadie. I feel for you guys and pricing. It truly is a bummer.  :(  Is it just import taxes or what?

Love to know! I think all they do is change the $ to £. Same thing with stuff like iPods too :rant:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 12:20:13 AM

Shipping, import duties, importers margins, more shipping, retailers margins, and then 20% tax as a cherry on top. All the accumulated percentages mean than on average our prices are around twice what yours are

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 12:22:49 AM

Shipping, import duties, importers margins, more shipping, retailers margins, and then 20% tax as a cherry on top. All the accumulated percentages mean than on average our prices are around twice what yours are

Well that's just a slap in the face.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 12:29:40 AM
Absolutely! Some deals can be had occasionally, aside from that, it's trying to source from the US, paying an extra chunk for the shipping, and hoping customs don't slap charges on. If they do, there's an additional release fee that needs paying too  ::)

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 08:21:25 AM
We also get ripped off down here.
Spydercos are sold at the MSRP plus import duty it seems. The importer and agent has draconian policies where you cannot advertise for less than a price they set. You can get it cheaper from some retailers but nothing like online in the USA.

MSRP $79.95 for the Roadie means easily $90 for them down here.

$44 is reasonable and I will pick one up when a friend travels over next week.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 08:56:05 AM
We also get ripped off down here.
Spydercos are sold at the MSRP plus import duty it seems. The importer and agent has draconian policies where you cannot advertise for less than a price they set. You can get it cheaper from some retailers but nothing like online in the USA.

MSRP $79.95 for the Roadie means easily $90 for them down here.

$44 is reasonable and I will pick one up when a friend travels over next week.

We have that pricing in the USA which is refereed to as "MAP" pricing. Minimum Advertised Pricing. Benchmade does it. Nothing compared to what you guys go through though.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline pingu

Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 01:09:51 PM
Most of my legal folders are Sanrenmu obtained direct from Hong Kong and easily better than adequate for EDC.  One or two are even worthy of collection.  The unbelievable value has left me enough dough for the occasional extravagance such as the Roadie.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%