Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My "scary" Vic Climber

RVER · 66 · 5918

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: My "scary" Vic Climber
Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 09:46:54 PM
I don't get much of that out here in the West. When I do get a comment my reaction is, "Yes, its also a scissors, nail file, screwdriver, etc.", showing each. Generally the reaction is "That's pretty neat".

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 10:20:53 PM
A few years ago I whipped out a Classic SD to remove a staple in some papers and the middle aged ewe sitting at the next desk just about freaked out. She said "I can't believe you bring a weapon to work" as tho it was an assault rifle or something.

I looked her square in the eye and said "Don't be stupid, I would have a better chance of killing you by smashing your skull in with that oversized coffee mug on your desk."

I'm not sure it really made the point I was intending, but she did stop bugging me. :whistle:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #32 on: January 25, 2015, 10:33:16 PM
A few years ago I whipped out a Classic SD to remove a staple in some papers and the middle aged ewe sitting at the next desk just about freaked out. She said "I can't believe you bring a weapon to work" as tho it was an assault rifle or something.

I looked her square in the eye and said "Don't be stupid, I would have a better chance of killing you by smashing your skull in with that oversized coffee mug on your desk."

I'm not sure it really made the point I was intending, but she did stop bugging me. :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: January 25, 2015, 10:39:17 PM
I don't get much of that out here in the West. When I do get a comment my reaction is, "Yes, its also a scissors, nail file, screwdriver, etc.", showing each. Generally the reaction is "That's pretty neat".

That's the reaction I get at work in London's West End from customers. Over the summer I tend to see a few SAKs hard at work on food duties in my favourite lunch spot. Oddly though,these almost always belong to visitors from Europe. I've had the odd bad reaction to SAKs or MTs from work mates,but after they've needed part of my tool set,that tends to stop.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 25, 2015, 10:49:31 PM
It's a bit sad how many idiots are out there! But I always laugh at the funny
Looks because I know I'm always better prepared than most.
Weasel

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 25, 2015, 11:24:50 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :tu:
darren

us Offline BASguy

Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 02:32:16 AM

I feel the same. People are just brain washed to be afraid of anything sharp or pointy.
.....and these are always the same clowns that go home and spend hours blowing the crap out each other playing violent video games, but they feel it's necessary to admonish someone with a pocket knife....... 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline BASguy

Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 02:42:15 AM

I used to be polite when sheeple made such stupid comments. Now I stop what I'm doing, look directly at them and ask "Are you really as stupid as you just sounded?" And I wait for their answer. If it is anything other than a meek "yes", I berate them with aggressive confidence and demand that they deal with the situation that required my SAK, without any assistance. Only once I get an apology do I relent.

The use of tools and ability to create fire are 2 of the basic skills that allowed us to rise above the apes. I refuse to be forced back down the evolutionary ladder just to appease the delicate sensitivities of the privileged lemmings society has created. Nor should you.

Dave

Amen.

I've come across this attitude before, but in pertaining to firearms.

I had to ship a pistol back to the manufacturer for warranty repair. At the post office, when they asked "Is there any weapons, fluids, etc." in the box I replied "Yes, there is a pistol in it. Unloaded, without ammunition in the box heading back to the manufacturer for warranty repairs."

The lady behind the counter freaked out and scurried away. The manager had come from the back to examine the package with me (make sure it's unloaded, no ammo in the box, etc.) and you could tell he wasn't pleased. She comes back and acts disgusted to be assisting me.

The manager had to come back over to pick the box off the counter because the woman was, as she said "I'm scared to touch it. Guns kill people every day, I don't want to go near it."

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
..... and when someone shows up at her house at 3am with one of those "guns that kill people" I wonder if her call to 911 is going to request that the responding officers use nothing more than harsh language?...... Morons

us Offline BASguy

Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 02:44:34 AM

LOLOLOLOL

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 02:50:05 AM
[sarcasm] so you are afraid for your life because I have a small personal tool chest in my front pocket (SwissChamp) but do not care that the guy on your other side has a picture from when he won the Wushu tournament? [/sarcasm]
If I can help, let me know 

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 03:19:34 AM
[sarcasm] so you are afraid for your life because I have a small personal tool chest in my front pocket (SwissChamp) but do not care that the guy on your other side has a picture from when he won the Wushu tournament? [/sarcasm]

What? He's the world sushi champ? :drool:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 03:40:31 AM
We're at a family Bday party and wife asks for a knife to open her present. I hand her my Vic Climber with the main blade open and the lady next to her commented "be careful with that thing!"... She needed it again and this time I gave it to her with the "sheeple" friendly blade out. Our nation has become one of scared sheeple.  Disgusting. Should've pulled my BM.

My family is just the opposite.Whenever they need a knife,can opener,cork screw,scissors ect.,they ask me for the tool I'm carrying knowing I will have what they need.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 03:53:14 AM
We're at a family Bday party and wife asks for a knife to open her present. I hand her my Vic Climber with the main blade open and the lady next to her commented "be careful with that thing!"... She needed it again and this time I gave it to her with the "sheeple" friendly blade out. Our nation has become one of scared sheeple.  Disgusting. Should've pulled my BM.

My family is just the opposite.Whenever they need a knife,can opener,cork screw,scissors ect.,they ask me for the tool I'm carrying knowing I will have what they need.

Mine too  :D ... and my friends ... and my neighbours ... and my boss ...

... although, there are a few of them who will (highly amusingly) go out of their way to get dedicated tools for the job as quickly as possible, hoping they will do that before I have got the relevant tool out of my pocket, as a feeble attempt to discredit pocket tool carry, and therefore feebly justify their lack of carry  :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 03:56:37 AM

Mine too  :D ... and my friends ... and my neighbours ... and my boss ...

... although, there are a few of them who will (highly amusingly) go out of their way to get dedicated tools for the job as quickly as possible, hoping they will do that before I have got the relevant tool out of my pocket, as a feeble attempt to discredit pocket tool carry, and therefore feebly justify their lack of carry  :D :D

I like when people ask me if they can borrow something, though last time I had to voice my serious displeasure when someone was using my fresh, unused Fuse blade as a scraper. I was a bit miffed...
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #44 on: January 26, 2015, 04:00:06 AM
People are often initially surprised that I carry a Swiss Army Knife, but no-one has ever acted afraid of it -- not even through high school, either of my universities, or any school in which I have since subbed or full-time taught. True story.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 07:18:02 AM

It would be pretty hard to get by in life owning zero knives.  Want to cut some meat... hmmm what do you do chew it apart? 

Ive never ever seen that attitude personally though.  Most people I know carry pocket knives of some sort.  Even my wife carries a wenger.
what!? She doesn't carry an alox custom?

If I was your wife I would totally cut you off for not making me a custom to carry.  :whistle:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 07:23:25 AM

It is the same with me at an Army base in Afghanistan, sad really.

Had a Major come from two buildings over to borrow my Rebar.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 07:43:35 AM
If someone comments on a SAK I whip out a Resilience or Matriarch and say "step back now we getting serious" 

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 07:45:30 AM
If someone comments on a SAK I whip out a Resilience or Matriarch and say "step back now we getting serious"

Or whip out a SE Millie.

Might as well call SWAT then.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #49 on: January 26, 2015, 08:20:25 AM
i never hand anyone my knife or let them use it.
I always do it for them if it must be opened or whatever.
people don't know how to use knives or ruin the edge or tip on my blades.
I just can't deal with that.

my blades are bone slicing scary sharp and I'm an edge snob...obviously.

Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 26, 2015, 12:59:18 PM
i never hand anyone my knife or let them use it.
I always do it for them if it must be opened or whatever.
people don't know how to use knives or ruin the edge or tip on my blades.
I just can't deal with that.

my blades are bone slicing scary sharp and I'm an edge snob...obviously.

Understandable, but I don't really have any knives that are extremely nice so most times I don't mind, most....

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: January 26, 2015, 01:33:01 PM
I stay very quiet about EDCing a SAK. People who know me well know I always carry one (or something else sharp), but they also know I hardly ever lend tools. :)

I think one of the more important reasons for people becoming upset over the sharps we carry is a need for excerting power over others. If you can make the knife owner back down, you have won a "battle" that day. I thank it's exactly the same reason people in customer service have absurdly many stories about being treated like smurf or people coming with a ridiculously entitled air about them. They are taught they have to be "reasonable" and "positive" 24/7 while the bills pile up and the workplace become smurfier and smurfier and at the same time that smurfy job can be "downsized" at any moment. So we get people mentally similar to caged animals , they are constantly on the lookout for a chance to lash out and be the big dog, if only for a minute. Being upset over trifles or playing the victim are just as much attempts at excerting power over others as being a bully is. So, I think the correct response is the same as for animals, be firm, but not aggressive. A firm, polite response is often the best course in many matters anyway, I think...

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 11:13:14 PM
I stay very quiet about EDCing a SAK. People who know me well know I always carry one (or something else sharp), but they also know I hardly ever lend tools. :)

I think one of the more important reasons for people becoming upset over the sharps we carry is a need for excerting power over others. If you can make the knife owner back down, you have won a "battle" that day. I thank it's exactly the same reason people in customer service have absurdly many stories about being treated like smurf or people coming with a ridiculously entitled air about them. They are taught they have to be "reasonable" and "positive" 24/7 while the bills pile up and the workplace become smurfier and smurfier and at the same time that smurfy job can be "downsized" at any moment. So we get people mentally similar to caged animals , they are constantly on the lookout for a chance to lash out and be the big dog, if only for a minute. Being upset over trifles or playing the victim are just as much attempts at excerting power over others as being a bully is. So, I think the correct response is the same as for animals, be firm, but not aggressive. A firm, polite response is often the best course in many matters anyway, I think...

That may very well be the most intelligent thing I've heard or read all day...  :clap:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #53 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:35 PM

That may very well be the most intelligent thing I've heard or read all day...  :clap:

Yeah, but no fun at all.....   >:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 11:47:27 PM
I like the rip your shirt, tie it around your head, and run to da choppa with a KA-BAR in your teeth option a bit better :rofl:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 12:19:08 AM
I usually just punch a unicorn and push a rainbow down the stairs. Pretty much proves my point.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 12:28:11 AM
Do we have an "EDC stories" thread?

EDCF has one and even though I'm not a member there I still stop by to read the updates every now and then.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 02:53:53 AM
I have a great story about a chicken, can of Crisco. bald midget prostitute and myself.

Not sure if it really works in this case though.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 03:02:41 AM
I have a great story about a chicken, can of Crisco. bald midget prostitute and myself.

As long as you EDC Crisco I think it works, at least I won't be the only one then! :rofl:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 06:38:42 PM

i know i'm new here, but most threads seem to go off topic sooner or later, plus i've time on my hands so go on, hit us with it !
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD