Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help... What to buy??!!

us Offline LoveHate

Help... What to buy??!!
on: January 26, 2015, 07:20:48 PM
Ok so I finally have some spare money for a folder in the $100-$150 range. I want something in the 3.5 to 4" size. I use my knifes hard and need it to hold up. Also I'm looking for something in a good steel, the ones I have now are all aus 8 and its ok but want more edge retention. The knifes I have in mind are 1) spyderco manix 2 xl or manix 2... Can't decide what size fits me best. 2) sog Vulcan and 3) bm griptilian. So what's your thoughts? Any experience with these would help. Also if there's something else that would fit the bill post it up. This is my first knife over $100. So really don't want to make a bad decision. Thanks for the help.  :cheers:

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Re: Help... What to buy??!!
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:16:37 PM
So you don’t have a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and you are discussing other knives?
Does not compute with me unless you have some serious issues with needing an Axis lock?

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:32:44 PM
I've handled a friends pm2 and didn't like the lock location. I also am looking at the axis type locks because from reviews it seems like the strongest and having the sog trident I know I like the lock location. Frame locks also seem interesting. I should add that I'm a lefty and that may sway my decisions.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:55:16 PM
I have played with the Griptilian of those three and like it a lot.
A bit cheaper than $100 too.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:10:06 PM
Cold Steel has some good ones too, though not many in fancy steel. Good locks.

GEC produces some nice traditional locking knives, again no fancy steel.

Many more.....Damascus victorinox....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:18:37 PM
A quick comparison on the composition of the steels in question in the knives mentioned in the first post:

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=154CM%2CCPM%20S30V%2CVG-10&ni=51,276,4001&hrn=1&gm=0

(Not very tough steels, with fine edge holding ability, all three of them.)

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:48:27 PM
My main concerns as far as materials is edge holding and blade lock up. My knifes will cut cardboard carpet wood and other stuff daily in my work environment. I really don't use it to pry stuff but scrapping glass and metal of stickers may happen.

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 02:19:21 AM
Well thank you all for the help.  :cheers: I have spent all day watching every review on YouTube  :facepalm: and I have made a purchase.......
There is a manix 2 xl in all black on the way.  :ahhh my only gripe about it was the clip as I like deep carry so... There's a titanium black deep carry clip on the way as well. Saturday needs to hurry up and get here.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 06:54:18 AM
Congrats on your knife!

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 07:33:45 AM
Well thank you all for the help.  :cheers: I have spent all day watching every review on YouTube  :facepalm: and I have made a purchase.......
There is a manix 2 xl in all black on the way.  :ahhh my only gripe about it was the clip as I like deep carry so... There's a titanium black deep carry clip on the way as well. Saturday needs to hurry up and get here.
:tu: I was just about to suggest that. JA sold me his and it and the landslide are the only knives I carry anymore.

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 09:06:53 AM
Thanks shark.
Yeah, I hope I like it as much as I think I will. It's also my first spyderco so I hope it doesn't disapoint. I will post a pic when I get it.

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 01:25:03 AM
I got the manix in today. I like the feel and ergonomics. a few things I wasn't expecting, the pivot needed to be loosened as I couldn't oho to save my life. The problem with that is that this knife should not need adjustment because of the type of pivot it has. Also the blade is slightly off center and one scale is floating off the liner near the tail. And the bevel edge is slightly off like they sharpened more on one side then the other. The fit and finish is all around alittle off. However I was picking this one apart and the problems other then the pivot are so minor that the average person would never have noticed it. Overall for a user, I love it!!

00 Offline cool123

Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 07:18:56 AM
Ok so I finally have some spare money for a folder in the $100-$150 range. I want something in the 3.5 to 4" size. I use my knifes hard and need it to hold up. Also I'm looking for something in a good steel, the ones I have now are all aus 8 and its ok but want more edge retention. The knifes I have in mind are 1) spyderco manix 2 xl or manix 2... Can't decide what size fits me best. 2) sog Vulcan and 3) bm griptilian. So what's your thoughts? Any experience with these would help. Also if there's something else that would fit the bill post it up. This is my first knife over $100. So really don't want to make a bad decision. Thanks for the help.  :cheers:

Hello,

You can check some Gerber bear grylls knives.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 11:08:24 AM
I got the manix in today. I like the feel and ergonomics. a few things I wasn't expecting, the pivot needed to be loosened as I couldn't oho to save my life. The problem with that is that this knife should not need adjustment because of the type of pivot it has. Also the blade is slightly off center and one scale is floating off the liner near the tail. And the bevel edge is slightly off like they sharpened more on one side then the other. The fit and finish is all around alittle off. However I was picking this one apart and the problems other then the pivot are so minor that the average person would never have noticed it. Overall for a user, I love it!!

Kind of a bummer. Can you exchange it for a different one? If not at least its nothing major.
I'm the milk man!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 02:21:44 PM
Hello,
You can check some Gerber bear grylls knives.

:think:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 05:36:41 AM

Kind of a bummer. Can you exchange it for a different one? If not at least its nothing major.

I fixed the minor problems and the pivot has loosened with about a million flicks lol.

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 05:38:29 AM

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 07:42:35 AM
Pics  :tu:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:44:16 AM by LoveHate »

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 07:57:06 AM
Love that clip, I'm a leftie too but carry knives on my right.
Might be because the original clipits were setup like that or it frees my hand for my firearm.

The Manix is a good choice for its ambi controls.

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 08:21:01 AM
Love that clip, I'm a leftie too but carry knives on my right.
Might be because the original clipits were setup like that or it frees my hand for my firearm.

The Manix is a good choice for its ambi controls.

The clips great. I would probably do the same but I can't carry a firearm where I live  :rant:
I'm really liking the Manix, it's working in great.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 09:43:40 AM
Shes a beauty!  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 08:10:24 PM
Shes a beauty!  :tu:

thanks capt. she's almost to good to use. I fixed the edge grind the other day using the lansky and a leather belt. now shes hair whittling.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 09:25:53 AM
Very cool! I need to get me a strop.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 07:16:02 AM

I use a old worn out leather belt. I just use some oil on it and it works great.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 07:53:38 AM

I use a old worn out leather belt. I just use some oil on it and it works great.

I might have to give that a try.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 12:48:53 AM

You want to use the unfinished back side. I sanded it nice and smooth first.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 12:55:04 AM

You want to use the unfinished back side. I sanded it nice and smooth first.

:tu:
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44