Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91mm Vic, 5 layer, can't find the model in the Wiki though.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Well, this is a 91mm Vic, 5 layer knife. Doesn't seem weird in any way, but I can't find it in the SAKWIKI. Maybe my mind is going :) I searched under "Versions" of various 5-layered Vics in the Wiki, no mention.

The large blade has "VICTORINOX SWITZERLAND STAINLESS ROSTFREI" on one side, "VICTORIA OFFICIER SUISSE" on the other. The other, small blade is the so-called "angle blade", apparently discontinued 1973.
Fluted 5-turn Corkscrew, Awl with no sewing eye, that's all the backtools. Opener layer is the modern type, no stamps on the tangs, but the inside edge of the Bottle Opener is "sharpened/ground". Scissors are the screwed pivot variety. It has a Woodsaw, and a Fish-scaler. The Toothpick is/was the modern plastic variety, but the Tweezers were the aluminum headed version.
Sorry for not providing better detailed pics, but my crappy camera has no macro on it.
Anyone got any clues about which model it might be? It seems like it might be an early pre-runner to the Champion to me.
DSCF3148.JPG
* DSCF3148.JPG (Filesize: 153.46 KB)
DSCF3149.JPG
* DSCF3149.JPG (Filesize: 159.47 KB)
DSCF3150.JPG
* DSCF3150.JPG (Filesize: 162.42 KB)
DSCF3151.JPG
* DSCF3151.JPG (Filesize: 161.61 KB)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:40:04 PM by neillcurrie »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: 91mm Vic, 5 layer, can't find the model in the Wiki though.
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:03:12 PM
It's a Model 236faU, commonly called (by me) an Angler Plus. As far as I know there is no official name for it from Victorinox, as this model was made from c. 1950 - 1975 and full-on naming of models didn't really begin until the mid 1970s.

It's an unusual model but not super rare in that it does show up from every couple months or so on eBay in various forms (exposed rivets, hidden rivets with bail, etc).

The model in your pictures looks to be from 1971-1972.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:10:19 PM
It's a Model 236faU, commonly called (by me) an Angler Plus. As far as I know there is no official name for it from Victorinox, as this model was made from c. 1950 - 1975 and full-on naming of models didn't really begin until the mid 1970s.

It's an unusual model but not super rare in that it does show up from every couple months or so on eBay in various forms (exposed rivets, hidden rivets with bail, etc).

The model in your pictures looks to be from 1971-1972.

Many thanks for the definitive word !!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 09:13:04 PM
Angler Plus.

Jazzbass sent me a pic of it some time ago.

It's on my to do list. :facepalm:

EDIT: I see jazzbass beat me to it. :D

:hatsoff:

il Offline Shalom

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:52:01 PM
It might be thought of as a predecessor to the Outdoorsman of the Marlboro  Series.
The Magnifier - Phillips layer had been introduced around the time the Angler Plus was ending.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%