Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRK Large Sebenza 21 thoughts.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
CRK Large Sebenza 21 thoughts.
on: January 29, 2015, 03:31:42 AM
Sorry for the delayed review on this. I wanted to wait a week before doing a review then I became very busy so it got put on the back burner. Anyways here is a quick review.

Immediate impressions were that I have not seen the box it came in before. I guess these are the new style boxes now.

Next impression upon opening the box were where is the leather sheath? I was under the impression that all Sebenzas came with one, but I found out that only the "higher end" models come with one. I mean I know I bought the plain jane model, but it was still over $400 so you would think they could throw in a sheath.  ::) I also noticed the empty spot in the foam. This is where the loctite goes for certain models. My model does not require any, but I find it kind of lame they use the same foam for this model. It just makes you feel like you are missing something if that makes any sense. I did not get any pictures of the cloth and other materials it comes with.

Some pictures of the knife closed on both sides. You will notice dings, scratches, and lint as I have been carrying and lightly using it since I received the knife.

The pocket clip is awesome. I love how it is set into the handle to remove and side to side play and it is simply held in by a single screw. I also love the "double dent" on the clip. It basically clips it to your pocket twice. When pulling the knife you will feel the first dent clear the pocket lip then the second part will slide over the lip of your pants. The design is simple yet effective. You will also notice the blue anodized titanium lanyard pin. They even take it further as to grind it to a little point in the center to add to its look and appeal.

They mill the titanium thumb stud the same way which I love.

Here is the Idaho Made marking. Many hate that it was added. I am not a fan of the marking and would rather have it left alone, but it is not a huge deal to me. It would be nice without it though.

I tried leaving the lanyard on the knife, but hated it. I'm not a lanyard guy when it comes to folders. They drive me crazy so mine got the chop. The only problem is the pin will slide out of the hole without a lanyard and I really love the blue pin so I put a small piece of the cord in the hole and melted it on both ends to hole the pin in place. Worked great!

Blade centering is perfect. I love the blade to handle ratio. Lockup is rock solid. Lock up percentage is a tiny bit more than I would like, but I have read Sebenzas tend to lock up late and I was worried mine would be farther than this so I am happy with how mine came. You will also notice the GIANT washers. If you have never seen a Sebenza washer outside the knife they are huge and have holes drilled around the hole thing. This helps with less resistance as well as storing grease in the holes as to not just squish the lubricant out of the knife.

Jimping is excellent. I had my doubts as it does not look very aggressive, but it is very grippy and does the job beautifully. I also love how they rounded off the protruding piece behind the jimping.

The blade shape is a dream for me. I love the shape and everything about the blade. The spine is rounded which I love. Grind is very even. The blade did not come "scary sharp" though. Don't get me wrong, the blade is adequately sharp and even more so, but basically any Spyderco I have owned (even the budget lines) come sharper than the Sebenza did.

Anyways, that's my quick review after owning it for a week or so. Final thoughts are these.

As many experience when buying a Sebenza you wan't to be amazed and feel elated when opening the box. This was not the case with me, but to be fair I was not expecting to be. Its a knife, not the holy grail. Like I stated earlier the lack of sheath and empty spot for the loctite did dampen the mood a bit, but I guess I should of known this model did not come with either. Even so at this price they should all come with the leather sheath in my opinion. Many have complained about overcoming the detent and the thumb stud being a pain in the thumb. I did NOT find this to be the case. I found the detent to be about perfect and while it adequately holds the knife blade closed it is easily overcome and opened. I really wanted to see how "smooth" the opening and closing really is since that is one thing that is glorified about these. First impressions were I was not impressed. Let me explain. The blade opens incredibly smooth in the sense of their is no inclusions during the blade travel. The reason I was not impressed is because it felt a little gritty and has a bit of resistance. Now I assume after the first cleaning or use it will smooth out more and after the time I have had it, it has actually lost a lot of the gritty feeling. I must admit it was not very gritty in comparison to other folders, but when we are at this level of blade I am very aware of these things. It fits in the hand nice, but the back edge does dig into my palm which is a bit of a let down, but not a deal breaker. The fit and finish is excellent (as it should be) and I find myself just looking at the knife. Holding it, feeling it, open, close, listening to the sounds it makes, admiring all the fine details they add. It really is usable pocket jewelry and even more so when you get into the higher end models with inlays and polished blades and handles or the art series. I feel good about my purchase and do not regret buying it at all. Would I buy another one......? Well......., not at the moment, no. If I was very well off and could drop $400-$1,000 without a second thought then sure I would buy another one tomorrow, but a $400 + dollar purchase for me is a big deal and one is enough for now. Do I think they are overprice......? YES! Sorry to say, but this (particular model) is a $300-$325 knife in my opinion. These are about $100 over priced in my opinion. I understand what goes into these material wise as well as attention to detail and the processes they use to make these, but I still think these should be in the $300 range, not $410. 

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: CRK Large Sebenza 21 thoughts.
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 04:54:55 AM
Great review and I agree with all you say about it.

Just not for me.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 05:50:05 AM
I do like the looks of them.  I would have to have dual thumbs studs if I ever got another one!

I heard that their lock up is anywhere from 50-75% but yours looks alittle more than that.  You should call them and just ask about it.  I am sure it is fine and have seen some like that but just to make sure! :)

I too agree that they should be at a lower price point but I guess they dont have to as they seem to sell very well.  I have noticed that second hand ones are quite a bit lower than they used to go for!

I hope you get alot of use out of it! 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 05:53:32 AM
I do like the looks of them.  I would have to have dual thumbs studs if I ever got another one!

I heard that their lock up is anywhere from 50-75% but yours looks alittle more than that.  You should call them and just ask about it.  I am sure it is fine and have seen some like that but just to make sure! :)

I too agree that they should be at a lower price point but I guess they dont have to as they seem to sell very well.  I have noticed that second hand ones are quite a bit lower than they used to go for!

I hope you get alot of use out of it!

The picture can be deceiving. I have been looking at the lock up very closely and it is definitely not 75%. More like 60%-65% I would say.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:30:11 AM
Nice write up and pictures :tu:.

It sure is a classy looking knife and I'm glad to see its getting used rather than just photographed.

Maybe someday I'll pick one up but probably not anytime soon. I think I'd have a hard time using such a nice piece the same way I use my $60 Grip.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :salute: 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 06:36:16 AM
Nice write up and pictures :tu:.

It sure is a classy looking knife and I'm glad to see its getting used rather than just photographed.

Maybe someday I'll pick one up but probably not anytime soon. I think I'd have a hard time using such a nice piece the same way I use my $60 Grip.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :salute:

Basically the only way I was going to buy one is if I was going to use it. I'm not going to take it out fishing or cut food with it, but it gets carried every day and gets used for non-dirty tasks. I had to cut some rope the other day and it got the call to duty for that. I just could not see spending the cash to have it sit in a drawer. Now if I got another eventually it would most likely be a higher end model and a non user since I have one to use already.

Its funny how my mentality has changed though. I used to dread using a $100 Spyderco, but now I would not even hesitate to use my Para II for whatever needs to be cut. Its all relative I guess.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline David

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 08:58:45 AM
 8)    :tu:    :)   I wanted one of those back in the late 90's but was into Emersons at the time so never got around to trying one. Glad you got one. I'm sure it will serve you well for a long time.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 11:14:58 AM
Thanks for a really good review Cap. I'm genuinely glad your happy with it :tu:

For myself,I think I'd go with a SRM 710, and buy a good air rifle with the other $390 :oops:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 11:43:06 AM
Great review! Glad to see it's getting some use!
 :salute: :tu:

Personally, I don't see myself spending anywhere close to 3-digits on a knife. I don't have a huge need for one, just like to have a blade with me. Some days, my knife doesn't even get used.

Hope you get to enjoy it more and more as you use it! With time, those small "glitches" may tend to disappear and the knife working may get smoother, as the parts settle in.

:cheers:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 02:14:28 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. Upon reading them, the most disturbing thing I take away is its sharpness. They could have provided a better edge is all. Other than that you got me digging this one. I give it one thumb up :tu:
SAW

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 02:22:21 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. Upon reading them, the most disturbing thing I take away is its sharpness. They could have provided a better edge is all. Other than that you got me digging this one. I give it one thumb up :tu:

Up where? Nevermind...

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 02:24:53 PM

Up where? Nevermind...

Well if you're going there I must specify it will be the left thumb. Because I fractured the right one many years ago and can't get it to bend right since  :P
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 05:13:07 PM
I'd like to also say it's great to see this knife getting used, sparingly but used non the less.  I have to admit however that this knife does nothing for me personally and I'm often left wondering why it cost so much. I'm not surprised to hear you feel it's not worth 400.  I have seen titanium knives with even "better" steels cost half, sure the maker isn't as well known but from 200 to 400 most would expect "that" much more knife. 

Interestingly I posted about this exact thing, spending more on an item and expecting more from the item.  At some point I'd love to see you get a Custom and hear your thoughts on that.  Would a 1k knife hit all the right spots for you?  Would it take 3k knife to make you faint and think you've gone to knife nirvana?  :D

I think it's more about fit and finish from what you post and regardless of price you have a set idea of what that should be.  Of course dollar amount does play a part in expectation.     

It's great you are happy with this knife however I do believe this was a "grail" for you  :think:  so if you say it isn't then I'm super curious as to what is now?

Lastly, and this is no knock to this particular knife.

If a maker has the luxury to "slow" production on an item then they better darn well produce something at a higher level than a mass producer.  I'm not impressed with the fit and finish of any item that has this luxury yet falls short. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:41:56 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 05:38:40 PM
I've seen some William Henry's knives and they're absolutelly  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:!!!!

Still, I think I'd only get one if I was obscenely filthy stinking rich! And then I'd probably keep it in display at home!

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 05:51:23 PM
I understand spending money on an item then tucking it away especially when it's a high dollar amount or rare.   

What gets me is spending that money and never truly finding out what you actually bought.  I spend XXXX amount on an item I've lusted after and baby it when this item cries to be used hard then part of me wonders.  What can this item really do or can this item actually perform at the level it's supposed to?   

I realize to each his/her own, and we all enjoy things differently but............... 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 05:58:37 PM
I with ya Aloha. I will use the hell out of mine whenever I get one. (Probably will never get one.) Won't abuse it, but it will cut, scrap and get dirty. Maybe see how it does gutting a deer. Or skinning one for that matter. But that is me.

Nate
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:01:21 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 06:02:52 PM
Also, before I forget, I'm glad you like it Spaulding. It looks awesome!

Nate
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 06:06:13 PM
I really also love the blade profile and general profile of these. Ive held a few but never owned one, have you used one wet yet? Id be curious to see how the smooth scales do with a wet or slippery hand or glove.

When it came to choosing a knife last december i wanted either a CR or a Zero Tolerance. I went with cheaper, and overbuilt. Then more expensive, and lighter duty IMO.

Plus, i can put new scales, new studs, new spacers, etc... on my ZT for less than the Sebenza.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 06:11:54 PM
I know there are those who buy items and enjoy the heck out of them simply thru ownership of them.  I'm not sure if it's limited to those who are in a financial position where they can spend thousands on things or those who just admire well made items  :think:.  It probably is a combination of both perhaps  :think:.

I may be to thrifty to see clear on these matters honestly.  I very well may be inexperienced or unsophisticated enough as well in this particular arena. 

I guess I also just love to see people enjoy using these high dollar tools like they were designed to be used.

What's the warranty anyway? 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline harronek

Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 08:04:36 PM
I had my Seb 21 stolen recently and have no great desire to replace it with another CRK .
Personally I feel that they are over priced , over hyped and the blade design and steel hasn't kept up with the times . Every time I read somewhere about how fantastic they are at cutting I really wonder , I don't know what it is they are cutting , but mine was no better than my other knives and often a lot worse . I seriously wonder how many of them really cut things and use their CRK's , I suspect there is more cuddling than cutting going on . Mine was used for everything that I needed a knife for without exception .
The hollow grind can't compete with a flat grind when it comes to slicing , and for the price a better selection of modern steels should be available .
The CRK owners gang is like a Lynch Mob when it comes to anyone questioning their beliefs .
Very nice knives , but not the best of the best that many would have you believe .

Ken
A designer know he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 10:52:19 PM
I'd like to also say it's great to see this knife getting used, sparingly but used non the less.  I have to admit however that this knife does nothing for me personally and I'm often left wondering why it cost so much. I'm not surprised to hear you feel it's not worth 400.  I have seen titanium knives with even "better" steels cost half, sure the maker isn't as well known but from 200 to 400 most would expect "that" much more knife. 

Interestingly I posted about this exact thing, spending more on an item and expecting more from the item.  At some point I'd love to see you get a Custom and hear your thoughts on that.  Would a 1k knife hit all the right spots for you?  Would it take 3k knife to make you faint and think you've gone to knife nirvana?  :D

I think it's more about fit and finish from what you post and regardless of price you have a set idea of what that should be.  Of course dollar amount does play a part in expectation.     

It's great you are happy with this knife however I do believe this was a "grail" for you  :think:  so if you say it isn't then I'm super curious as to what is now?

Lastly, and this is no knock to this particular knife.

If a maker has the luxury to "slow" production on an item then they better darn well produce something at a higher level than a mass producer.  I'm not impressed with the fit and finish of any item that has this luxury yet falls short. 

I highly doubt I will ever get a custom, but if anyone has one they want to send me for testing i'm definitely game.  :D

I think I might of mentioned the Sebenza as a grail knife for me. It is like with anything. I always wanted a Para II and once I finally ponied up the cash to get one you appreciate the knife, but strive for something better. I guess it is some peoples mentality in always looking for the next thing. Same thing with the Sebenza. I always wanted one and never thought I would own one. Now that I do I would of course want something better, but to be honest I do not have anything in mind and can not really see spending this much or more on a knife again unless my money situation took a drastic change. I am at the point where I have everything (folder wise) that I want with the exception of a black/camo PM2 to finish off the PM2 collection. I am just going to enjoy this and the other folders I have and not even desire anything else.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:08 PM
I had my Seb 21 stolen recently and have no great desire to replace it with another CRK .
Personally I feel that they are over priced , over hyped and the blade design and steel hasn't kept up with the times . Every time I read somewhere about how fantastic they are at cutting I really wonder , I don't know what it is they are cutting , but mine was no better than my other knives and often a lot worse . I seriously wonder how many of them really cut things and use their CRK's , I suspect there is more cuddling than cutting going on . Mine was used for everything that I needed a knife for without exception .
The hollow grind can't compete with a flat grind when it comes to slicing , and for the price a better selection of modern steels should be available .
The CRK owners gang is like a Lynch Mob when it comes to anyone questioning their beliefs .
Very nice knives , but not the best of the best that many would have you believe .

Ken

I agree that they are overpriced. Over-hyped..... maybe. As far as the blade design and steel. The blade design is excellent in my opinion. They do not want a FFG blade. Customers requested it so he made a semi FFG blade that keeps all the strength. The CPMS35VN was designed exactly how he wanted and for good reasons with rust prevention and edge retention in mind. He wanted a great steel that can actually be sharpened in the field. That is why he does not do say a S90V or ZDP-189. The things you mentioned are strategic designs not "not keeping up with the times". The hallow ground blades are done differently than other manufacturers as well. The width of the blade towards the edge is actually slightly larger than the blade above so when you sharpen over the years the blade does not thicken and inhibit cutting.

No I am not in the CRK Lynch Mob, but just enlightening you on why these things are the way they are.

It sounds like you did not get along with your Sebenza and that's just fine. I do hate the people that think just because they spent a bunch of money on something its the best thing on the planet which a lot of time is not the case.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 11:05:16 PM
I really also love the blade profile and general profile of these. Ive held a few but never owned one, have you used one wet yet? Id be curious to see how the smooth scales do with a wet or slippery hand or glove.

When it came to choosing a knife last december i wanted either a CR or a Zero Tolerance. I went with cheaper, and overbuilt. Then more expensive, and lighter duty IMO.

Plus, i can put new scales, new studs, new spacers, etc... on my ZT for less than the Sebenza.

I have not used one wet, but assume it might be fine. The finish is a little grippy. I assume it will smooth out more over use and carry though.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 11:12:02 PM
I may have said it before Capt but I would love you in the QC dept at our favorites tool companies. 

I played to lotto today and if I win the jackpot, you sir will have a fully custom knife in your future.  It's nice to hear a real world view Capt  :tu: rather than the one skewed based on the hype and cost factor.  It sounds like a terrific knife and more importantly you are enjoying it which is what matters most.

As time goes on I look forward to hearing your follow up thoughts and see how this knife is holding up. 

Thanks for your pics and post.  :salute:   
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 12:10:38 AM
I may have said it before Capt but I would love you in the QC dept at our favorites tool companies. 

I played to lotto today and if I win the jackpot, you sir will have a fully custom knife in your future.  It's nice to hear a real world view Capt  :tu: rather than the one skewed based on the hype and cost factor.  It sounds like a terrific knife and more importantly you are enjoying it which is what matters most.

As time goes on I look forward to hearing your follow up thoughts and see how this knife is holding up. 

Thanks for your pics and post.  :salute:   

We can only hope you win!  :gimme:

I'm not shy to say if I do not like something or if I think it is not up to the standard it should be. That's for sure.  :D

I don't think I could work QC as I doubt 50% of the tools would leave the building.  :facepalm:
I'm the milk man!

au Offline harronek

Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 09:12:07 AM

Ken

No I am not in the CRK Lynch Mob, but just enlightening you on why these things are the way they are.

:)

You sure ???

Ken

PS - I'm honestly not trying to rain on your parade or anyone else who has a CRK , hell I owned one myself for quite awhile until it was taken from , I didn't sell it in disgust , it was stolen .
I think we will agree to disagree about the blade .
They are very nice knives , but there are alot of other very nice knives .
I honestly mean this when I say " Enjoy "

Ken
A designer know he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .

no Offline Grathr

Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 07:06:56 PM
Nice write up! :tu:
I dont think I will ever buy such a expencive folder though.
Then again, I never thought Id buy a $70 spyderco either, and Ive got two of those now...

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 11:24:02 PM

Ken

:)

You sure ???

Ken

PS - I'm honestly not trying to rain on your parade or anyone else who has a CRK , hell I owned one myself for quite awhile until it was taken from , I didn't sell it in disgust , it was stolen .
I think we will agree to disagree about the blade .
They are very nice knives , but there are alot of other very nice knives .
I honestly mean this when I say " Enjoy "

Ken

Yup, i'm sure. I was just letting you know why they use that steel. I do not like certain things about the knife and am not afraid to say it and have said everything I do not like about it in my review already.

I know you are not trying to rain on anyone's parade. We like different views here and welcome them all.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 11:27:18 PM
Nice write up! :tu:
I dont think I will ever buy such a expencive folder though.
Then again, I never thought Id buy a $70 spyderco either, and Ive got two of those now...

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

Funny you say that as that is how I once was. I would not even imagine spending $100 on a knife. Then I started buying $100 knives like hot cakes. Now I buy a Sebenza. I guess it is the natural progression of things....... Uh... yea, lets go with that.  :D

I honestly do not see myself buying anything else for a while whether it be $50 or $400.
I'm the milk man!

de Offline Kin-Luu

• Can never carry enough tools.
Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 12:24:06 PM
I honestly do not see myself buying anything else for a while whether it be $50 or $400.

Hello Sir, do you have a minute or two to talk about Lionsteel?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%