Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Roselli Axe

us Offline The Warrior

Roselli Axe
on: January 29, 2015, 04:19:58 AM
Hey guys, haven't been on forever. Hope everyone is doing well. The wife got me a Roselli axe I wanted for Christmas. Still haven't had a chance to use it yet, but at least it's cool looking, haha.:

Next to the BK9 for size reference:

Sheath removed:

She's a thick one:

Choked up:

Looking forward to using it. I opted for the 18" handle model, that's considered the axe. The 14" model is considered the hatchet, with the same head. $2 more for the 18" inch handle seemed the way to go. I can always choke up 4 inches if I need to, haha. Thanks for looking.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Roselli Axe
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 06:47:17 AM
Nice present  :tu:
I tried Al's out at one of the meets, takes a lot of getting used to after using 'normal' axes
Looking forward to in use pictures  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:56:37 AM
I've always wanted to play with one too! Great looking axe mate, please let us know how you get on with it :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:30:17 AM
I tried Al's out at one of the meets, takes a lot of getting used to after using 'normal' axes

Like Tony I've had a play with Al's (50ft-Trand) and it's a different feel to a more conventional axe.  However Al is a big fan and it seems it's worth sticking with.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 10:11:29 AM

Like Tony I've had a play with Al's (50ft-Trand) and it's a different feel to a more conventional axe.  However Al is a big fan and it seems it's worth sticking with.

Congrats on the new axe. The main difference in use with this axe is that is you attack the workpiece at an angle it is more likely to glance off. Hit a lot more perpendicular than with a normal axe, and after the first few swings you'll think it's defective as nothing is happening. A few more swings and huge chips will start flying off and you'll start to adjust to the difference. It's a great splitter too.

As Tony and Gareth have said, it takes a bit of getting used to, but now I've started to tun into it, I'm very happy with it. I love my GB Wildlife Hatchet and Forest Axe, and this 18" version of the Roselli is sized similar to the GB Short Forest Axe ... but I don't want an SFA now I have this.

At first you might not like it ... but stick with it. It does take a bit of time to figure out

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline The Warrior

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 01:21:02 PM
Thanks guys. I wanted it for it's intended use, a carving axe. Wanted to rough out some bowls, and spoons. I did read a review that said it took some getting used to. I recently purchased a little cabin in the Ozark Mountains, in the Mark Twain National Forest. I took the axe with me the last time, but was so busy with other things, hiking, etc., that I didn't get a chance to use it. Am looking forward to it though.

Edit: Here's the review I was talking about: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/705903-Roselli-Axe-and-Carpenter-and-a-Short-Hike?p=7713485#post7713485
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:26:50 PM by The Warrior »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:25 PM
That's a nice looking axe! Can't wait to see some of the stuff you make with it.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 01:57:39 PM
That is a beautiful piece. Let us know how you like it in use
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 02:39:24 PM
Thanks guys. I wanted it for it's intended use, a carving axe. Wanted to rough out some bowls, and spoons. I did read a review that said it took some getting used to. I recently purchased a little cabin in the Ozark Mountains, in the Mark Twain National Forest. I took the axe with me the last time, but was so busy with other things, hiking, etc., that I didn't get a chance to use it. Am looking forward to it though.

Edit: Here's the review I was talking about: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/705903-Roselli-Axe-and-Carpenter-and-a-Short-Hike?p=7713485#post7713485

I will confess, I've not really tried using mine for carving. I did try choking up on it once or twice just for stripping bark or something, and you need to mind your knuckles. As a general purpose axe, I'd still recommend it if you have the patience to get through the learning curve. It's lightweight but powerful, rides well on a belt, has good ergonomics (for me at least), works well one handed or two handed, lets you choke up on the head, has a hammer section for knocking in wedges or stakes to secure a log (or for a tent/shelter) .... I think you'll love it. If you don't, it probably means you've not been using it long enough  :D :D

us Offline The Warrior

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 11:08:33 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll probably use it more than just for carving, but it's primarily what i bought it for.

I also have a tomahawk loop I had someone make for me a few years ago. I sold the tomahawk, but kept the loop. It should come in handy. Way handier than running the sheath through your belt, and undoing the buckle on the sheath, that's for sure.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 11:15:57 PM
Nice idea  :tu:

I found that if you wear the sheath on your belt, you don't need to re-buckle it every time you stow the axe if you are just repositioning logs and such rather than actually travelling any distance. The benefit with that is the proper sheath prevents accidental contact with the edge (you or someone/something else) ... plus it prevents the risk of losing the sheath. It's one of the things I like most about the sheath design, and beats the competition, or at least what I've seen of it.

I can't wait to hear the report after the first days fun  ;) Any little jauts on the horizon?

us Offline The Warrior

Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 11:49:28 PM
Nice idea  :tu:

I found that if you wear the sheath on your belt, you don't need to re-buckle it every time you stow the axe if you are just repositioning logs and such rather than actually travelling any distance. The benefit with that is the proper sheath prevents accidental contact with the edge (you or someone/something else) ... plus it prevents the risk of losing the sheath. It's one of the things I like most about the sheath design, and beats the competition, or at least what I've seen of it.

I can't wait to hear the report after the first days fun  ;) Any little jauts on the horizon?

Good points.

Not really. It'll probably be at the cabin. Sometimes we go every other weekend, sometimes a month between times.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%