Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Couldn't resist owning this vintage MTB

tosh · 54 · 2664

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Couldn't resist owning this vintage MTB
on: January 31, 2015, 01:41:09 PM
As many know I've been commuting to and from work for the past 4 months by bike. The bike in question was/is my younger brothers. It remained unused in an outhouse for the past decade or more. I didn't want to use my own bike (GT Tequesta) purchased back in the mid 90's as I'd owned it from new and it's practically mint - stunning condition.

My brothers on the other hand was pretty rough, no seat, no chain, middle chain ring smashed, bent wheels etc etc
I did manage to get it up and running for £30?? Then added mudguards, saddle bag, lights. But the spokes are constantly coming loose the gearing is all but useless - only have a range of the middle 6 on the back and middle front!! And the pedal snapped off last week,,,
Also pretty certain the headset or forks are bent...,, just doesn't seem to ride true??

Anyway, toyed with the idea of buying a cyclocross,  then hardtail, then full suspension then fat bike.......!!

Couldn't make my mind up and was getting drawn closer and closer to buying something exorbitantly expensive on finance :ahhh

So I sat down and went through exactly what it was I wanted, there was only ever one that I really pined for.

When I bought the GT Tequesta I really wanted the Orange P7  :drool: but simply couldn't afford it. It was simply gorgeous!! Nickel plated steel frame! What a classy looker :o

Well now I have one, won it this morning on ebay. Owned from new, totally overhauled, now altered to 8spd, new brooks saddle and the guy I bought it off I know back from when we were kids. He's moved to Glasgow - small world init!!
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 218.6 KB)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:20:57 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Couldn't resist owning this vintage MTB
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 02:07:24 PM
Tosh,I'm so jealous! That is a real beauty :drool:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 02:14:07 PM
Very cool bicycle mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 02:16:01 PM
Looks good..  :tu:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 02:16:56 PM
Tosh,I'm so jealous! That is a real beauty :drool:

Cheers Kirky  :tu:
I can't wait for it to arrive, the seller has pm'd saying it will be posted today :cheers:

I don't think the pictures do it justice. When it arrives I'm gonna get her gleaming!!
Daft thing is I was looking at bikes costing well over a grand (on finance obviously  :whistle:) this baby cost me £273 + £20 postage

I'd like some stunning mudguards for it to compliment it's slim design.
Anyone have any ideas??

Very cool bicycle mate :)

Cheers Mike  :tu:

UPDATE: Just received confirmation - it's on its way!! Should be here Wednesday!  :mail: :drink:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:26:11 PM by tosh »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 03:00:21 PM
I like the look of these mudguards...
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 109.75 KB)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:02:16 PM by tosh »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 03:16:00 PM
You're speaking my language now, that thing is sick! I'm jealous man
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 03:20:34 PM
My brand new bike and everything I have strapped to it cost less than that  :D

I know nothing about old bikes and this model (and your other one) mean nothing to me at all so I'm not going to start drooling over it, but I hope it rides well and you're happy with it once it lands  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 03:28:35 PM
Cheers for all the well wishes guys  :tu:
I can't believe its actually mine - what a show stopper!!

Here's the ad description...
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 205.03 KB)

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 03:53:31 PM

I don't know if it's of much concern to you, but the STXrc component group is one of my all time favorites, it's worked just about as well as my much more expensive parts but with a whole lot less headaches. They really don't go out of tune frequently at all. Congrats!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 04:00:29 PM

I don't know if it's of much concern to you, but the STXrc component group is one of my all time favorites, it's worked just about as well as my much more expensive parts but with a whole lot less headaches. They really don't go out of tune frequently at all. Congrats!

Cheers

That pretty much sums up exactly why I wanted this bike - back in its day this was it!!
I love the modern stuff, but I really just want something that I can ride daily and is ridiculously reliable.

Really hoping this proves to be my answer.

What do you think of the fenders?? Can you think of anything better?? I've got to have mudguards, otherwise I'll arrive at work soaked!!  :facepalm:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 04:14:29 PM

Cheers

That pretty much sums up exactly why I wanted this bike - back in its day this was it!!
I love the modern stuff, but I really just want something that I can ride daily and is ridiculously reliable.

Really hoping this proves to be my answer.

What do you think of the fenders?? Can you think of anything better?? I've got to have mudguards, otherwise I'll arrive at work soaked!!  :facepalm:

I can tell you they look nice :D, I've never used them normally when I ride the mud is part of the reason I'm there :rofl:

Have you looked up the company SKS? They're said to have some great products, mostly all fenders

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 04:17:58 PM

I know nothing about old bikes and this model (and your other one) mean nothing to me at all so I'm not going to start drooling over it, but I hope it rides well and you're happy with it once it lands  :tu:

Al,Oranges,especially of that period, are the MTB equivalent of getting a custom built Sheffield knive. The big thing about Oranges is that all other mountain bikes of the period were built for American terrain. Oranges are British bikes built for British trails :drool:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 04:21:38 PM

Al,Oranges,especially of that period, are the MTB equivalent of getting a custom built Sheffield knive. The big thing about Oranges is that all other mountain bikes of the period were built for American terrain. Oranges are British bikes built for British trails :drool:

Still are, aren't they?

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 04:24:22 PM
Great looking bike. What size is it?

Fenders look great. Think they work in lower speeds good. Little faster, and you might be muddy back and forth. I can be wrong in this.

I have old aluminium frame Tunturi Scambo mtb, with front suspension. It is way too small for me, but have had good rides on it. Bought it well used, and still going strong.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 04:31:03 PM

Fenders look great. Think they work in lower speeds good. Little faster, and you might be muddy back and forth. I can be wrong in this.

I have old aluminium frame Tunturi Scambo mtb, with front suspension. It is way too small for me, but have had good rides on it. Bought it well used, and still going strong.

Frame is 17" same size as my GT Tequesta (I'm 5'8"......short arse I know)
As for fenders, I just ordered a pair. Need to slow down on the spending bit - otherwise I'll be selling parts of my collection to fund this MTB madness :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:33:13 PM by tosh »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 04:34:26 PM

As for fenders, I just ordered a pair. Need to slow down on the spending bit - otherwise I'll be selling parts of my collection to fund this MTB madness :D

Bikes can be worse than tools, I should know I have at least a dozen.....

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 04:35:01 PM

Still are, aren't they?

Oh yeah :salute:

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 04:39:19 PM

Please, tell me how those fenders work for you. You could spend your money worse, than bikes and tools. They both mix, you know... ;)

I love riding my bike, but since having kids, it seems to go backround. Maybe this spring i get to the mtb saddle rather than my motorcyckle...

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 04:42:23 PM

A dozen!!
What...all up and running??

C'mon give us a group shot.

As for me.... I'm satisfied now. The Orange is gonna be my daily commute (fancy some fatish road tyres to fill out those gorgeous fenders) the GT will remain my off roading choice.

I'm at peace with myself now.....sigh! 8)

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 05:17:29 PM

A dozen!!
What...all up and running??

C'mon give us a group shot.

As for me.... I'm satisfied now. The Orange is gonna be my daily commute (fancy some fatish road tyres to fill out those gorgeous fenders) the GT will remain my off roading choice.

I'm at peace with myself now.....sigh! 8)

I'm not home, so I can't take a new one but here's nine of them :facepalm:. There's a few notables that are missing though

Left to right- 1998 Specialized Crossroads(salvaged from the scrap heap, fixed with a foolish mix of parts), 1972 Triumph 3-speed(going to be sold in the spring), 1970s Astra Boulevardier(intended to be sold, Dad took a liking to it), Haro Backtrail X0(my bike when I was around 10), 1996 Schwinn Homegrown(these are rare rides, out sourced by Schwinn to Control Tech in the Pacific Northwest, then a little later to Yeti Cycles, these were top notch racing hardtails in their day), 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper single speed(My jump bike, originally one of the bikes that would have competed against the Homegrowns), 1993? Mongoose Iboc(my first mountain bike, turned commuter), 2005 Giant Trance 4(my real ride now, first full suspension rig!), on the ground is a Univega Supra Sport(for sale come spring time)

Also have a MotoBecane Mirage single speed, Trek 4500 turned into a single speed beater trail rig with a Rock Shox air fork, 2008 Raleigh M80 that was saved from the junk pile on loan to a carless friend, 1999 Voodoo Hoodoo which is a fairly less common frame with all Tig welds that I built up, another Haro, a Gary Fisher Marlin swapped over to the STXRC parts with wide tires for the beach, and a modern single speed roadie out of a no name frame.

I think that's it :think:, I picked up and off loaded at least 5 more since August.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 06:15:16 PM
Oh my..... :facepalm:

You've got it bad my friend :tu:

Good luck with that lot. I'll stick with 2 - partly because I haven't room for more!! :D

That's the beauty of collecting MTs - take up no space whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:17:16 PM by tosh »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 06:33:31 PM
Very nice tosh  :tu: i wanted a orange clockwork back in the late 80's early 90's but got a kona explosive instead,had so many since but still miss my first mtb,it was stollen and i replaced it with a 94 kona kilauea that i stupidly sold about 4 years ago too a collector,nice collection higgins  :tu: ive got 3 users and about 6 in bits  :facepalm: including my 92 gt zaskar project that never got finnished  :facepalm: looks like you have a great daily user tosh enjoy  :salute:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 07:54:37 PM
Very nice tosh  :tu: i wanted a orange clockwork back in the late 80's early 90's but got a kona explosive instead,had so many since but still miss my first mtb,it was stollen and i replaced it with a 94 kona kilauea that i stupidly sold about 4 years ago too a collector,nice collection higgins  :tu: ive got 3 users and about 6 in bits  :facepalm: including my 92 gt zaskar project that never got finnished  :facepalm: looks like you have a great daily user tosh enjoy  :salute:

Did you post the Zaskar here before? Just about all of our bikes get used, some more than others though. I really enjoy it, I enjoy stripping them down cleaning and tuning them almost as much as I like riding!

Tosh you gotta make sure to share plenty of pics when you get it!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 08:14:43 PM

Did you post the Zaskar here before? Just about all of our bikes get used, some more than others though. I really enjoy it, I enjoy stripping them down cleaning and tuning them almost as much as I like riding!

Tosh you gotta make sure to share plenty of pics when you get it!

no the zaskars in bits and the frame is hanging up in my shed ,no time or money to finnish it yet,ive got 3 old 50's falcon race bikes in bits as well,there future fixies,my other 3 bikes get used alot as dont drive so ride everywhere  :tu: i raced for years including bmx ,i retired from bmx racing when i was 38,im 44 now,i raced road bikes and mtb back in the 90's, i use to love building bikes but prefer to just ride them these days but still service mine and love changing parts too personlize them  :tu: i do miss some of my bikes that ive sold over the years but when my wife first met me early 2001 i was living in a flat,i had 2 mtb's in the hallway,3 in my bedroom,4 in the lounge not including a vintage schwinn klunker hanging on the wall  :facepalm: and 3 bmx's in the spare room,this wasnt including my sk8board collection lol,as too say since moving and 2 more kids later,i had too thin my bikes out as no room,hence why some are in bits  :-\ i still love my bikes as much now as i did as a kid,keeps you feeling young   :tu:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:17:27 PM by Zed »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 09:27:27 PM
@ Zed - The Kona was my first serious MTB when I was 18-19?? Bought it used from a friend of my fathers (his son I think). Mine was the Kona CinderCone. Before that I wasn't really bothered about cycling but that Kona changed everything. Boy I used to paste it!! It was later stolen and I couldn't afford another and didn't want to ride the cheap hacks. It would be another 2yrs till I saved up enough to buy another (GT Tequesta) that's when I first saw the Orange :drool:
She was suspended high up in J James cycle store, centre display. I wanted her so bad it hurt. The owner Mr J James himself was in that day and told me the GT Tequesta was a great buy - heavily discounted due to it being the previous years model. I bought it there and then and heeded his advice and swapped the crap saddle for a Brooks 66.

I'll never sell the Tequesta, too many fantastic memories and its still pristine!!

@ Higgins Don't worry, I'm going to clean the Orange up and showcase her to you all!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 06:39:10 PM
Could do with a little reassurance chaps...

This Orange I have coming, its dawned on me that the Gearing may be a little hard work on hills!! Considering I'm surrounded by hills here, maybe someone could put my mind at rest

42t on front. With a 11-30t cassette on rear (8spd).

That 42t is what's giving me concern. Obviously I never used the outside front 42t on the largest rear cog due to crossing the chain, so haven't got the slightest idea of what to expect. I do know that currently I use the middle chain ring (34t) and either the 2nd or 3rd from the biggest on the rear cassette. I seem to be able to get up hills fine - well ok not fine  :facepalm: , but I get up!!! :whistle:

Any advice greatly appreciated.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 07:01:30 PM
After the previous discussion about hills, when I mentioned I was struggling on the real stinkers, I went to JE James and they were very good about finding me a solution at a reasonable price. Maybe you can get a smaller chain ring for the front. It cost me less than £15 when I went in. To be honest I haven' been out on the bike since, but I have an extra 6T on the rear cassette which can only help. I don't think the hills you face on the way to work are particularly bad are they? I can't think of any real vicious ones out that way anyway. There's some particularly nasty ones round here

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 07:09:18 PM
Look,I used to ride clunkers with 44t rings on hills in SA . I find modern MTB groupsets far to under geared

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 07:16:45 PM
I use 12-28 cassette with 46-36-32 I live in a very hilly area and the granny gear gets me up most muddy hills,I've got other combo chainsets but all work well for me,although when I raced road bikes I use 12-23 cassette with a 55-42 chainset ,I was so much fitter then  :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%