Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Couldn't resist owning this vintage MTB

tosh · 54 · 2665

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Re: Couldn't resist owning this vintage MTB
Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 07:33:11 PM
 :facepalm:b
Look,I used to ride clunkers with 44t rings on hills in SA . I find modern MTB groupsets far to under geared

I can relate to that, I've NEVER used the Granny wheel and I find that when I come to hills I invariably come off the saddle and pull myself up using the bars as a momentum - if that makes sense.

I've been googling the scenario that I'm expecting and virtually none except for race bikes use 42t, favouring 32, 36 & 38t but not 42t.

I can't imagine how hard it's gonna be so my mind is racing (bad pun) until it arrives.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 07:35:26 PM
Keep trying. It gets easier. :pok:

TBH, if you can get up them in that gear then I don't see any reason to change anything. You've always got the granny ring to fall back on - and I've never found a hill that's too step to walk up. :tu:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 08:20:27 PM
Honestly you should be perfectly fine. And even if youdont like it, it's an easy fix
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 10:06:33 PM
Tosh:

Beautiful bike.  Simple, no frills and should just work (well).  I expect there are lots of options to change the gearing if you need it.  Over time the hills will become flatter ;) 

I used to ride in the winter with studded mt. bike tires - talk about loose fitness over the day it took to change from regular tires to the studded ones.  The extra wt. was awful.  On the other hand the change back in the spring made my fitness level go up tremendously.

Good luck,

John.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 10:40:01 PM
Tosh:

Beautiful bike.  Simple, no frills and should just work (well).  I expect there are lots of options to change the gearing if you need it.  Over time the hills will become flatter ;) 

I used to ride in the winter with studded mt. bike tires - talk about loose fitness over the day it took to change from regular tires to the studded ones.  The extra wt. was awful.  On the other hand the change back in the spring made my fitness level go up tremendously.

Good luck,

John.

Thanks John  :tu:
I've just ordered a Cape Cod polishing cloth to get that Nickel coated frame, spokes and whatever else is shiny back to new condition  :D yeah, sad I know!!  Pretty sure the novelty will soon wear off - lol

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 02, 2015, 11:08:50 PM
Great bike you've got coming there tosh, Orange is a make I wish I had purchased all those years ago, very nice indeed.

Zed - was it you who had a PK Ripper?  :pok:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 10:29:09 AM
Great bike you've got coming there tosh, Orange is a make I wish I had purchased all those years ago, very nice indeed.

Zed - was it you who had a PK Ripper?  :pok:

Yep owned one in 84 and another in 2005  :tu: i broke my old one as snapped its bottom bracket at the welds,i had a skyway ta before that,later 80's i rode a dp firebird freestyler,ive also owned a robinsons pro,and a diamondback viper, :tu:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 07:08:15 PM
What a farce..... :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd:

Parcelforce attempted to deliver bike on Wednesday, we were both out at work. The dIppy driver didn't put the consignment number on said drop card so my partner contacted them when she got home and asked for it to be re delivered on Friday...simple!

Got home Thursday, 2nd Dropcard on doormat. Now have to reschedule delivery. I ring up go through all the waiting, finally speak to someone, explain the situation and ask for it to be delivered next day please.

Got home today at 11am. Sat in kitchen all day............. At 4:45pm still no sign. Ring up again, go through the waiting....eventually get to speak with someone, ask if the driver is still out delivering? Get asked for consignment number again which dippy driver forgot to write down on 2nd Dropcard! Establish which parcel it is then get told it's being held in depot!!

I explain the previous nights re-booking for delivery today.....she hangs up!!

Re-dial again, go through waiting, get answered (someone different ofcourse!) explain the whole thing yet again, she then says driver attempted to deliver at 07:19 this morning. Bullsmurf, my partner was in, plus no sign of any Dropcard to verify drivers claim!

She comes back and says, apologies the driver wasn't in that area this morning!!

Then says she'll leave a message for Saturday manager to deliver tomorrow! I explain considering their stupidity that seems highly unlikely!

I'll collect... 26 mile round trip! Require passport, driving license, utility bill and previous drop cards!!

I'm off to collect now....

Wish me luck and composure!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 11:33:51 PM
Back home

Bike was dismantled and boxed up.

Okay a couple of issues, seat post clamp wouldn't tighten up, striped threads - I've put a longer bolt through with a locknut until I sort it out. Handlebars were removed, seems this is the old quill style stem, refitted it but there still seems a little play in the headset. May remove headset and see if I can nip up the nuts or maybe the bearing's are worn :think:

Took it for a brief spin, rides beautifully. Compared to the one I was using its incredibly light and feels very positive.

I've got 3-4hrs to myself in the morning, I'll see if I can sort the headset out.

Question - do I grease quill stems?? I've put silicon lubricant on tonight  just because I couldn't find my grease (copper grease??).

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 02:18:30 AM
Glad it arrived OK ,I always use to put a little silicone grease on old quill stems as helps with removal  :tu:headset might just need the top nut loosened and then hand tighten the top cup,might be worth checking bearings as well  :tu:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:19:56 AM by Zed »

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 02:28:04 AM
Tosh:

Glad to hear you finally received it.  Sounds like it's in generally good condition so that's great.

I would put a small amount of grease or antiseize on the quill stem - makes it much easier to remove in future.  May be worth replacing the head set bearinga since you will be working on it anyway.

Sounds like a good overhaul will leave you with an excellent and beautiful bike.

John.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 08, 2015, 11:38:00 AM
Found  another serious issue with the Orange.
The rear FIR wheel had 3 small splits (spoke holes). Seller has reimbursed me £100, just purchased a set of Mavic 221 wheels with Kendal tyres (£25). Seller has confirmed no damage whatsoever. So hoping just need to transfer rear cassette over. Also need to replace those headset bearings. But contemplating on swapping the whole stem for a more modern version???

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: February 08, 2015, 04:51:28 PM
Found  another serious issue with the Orange.
The rear FIR wheel had 3 small splits (spoke holes). Seller has reimbursed me £100, just purchased a set of Mavic 221 wheels with Kendal tyres (£25). Seller has confirmed no damage whatsoever. So hoping just need to transfer rear cassette over. Also need to replace those headset bearings. But contemplating on swapping the whole stem for a more modern version???

The joys of a Classic Bike Tosh :pok:

My next major service on the SpeSmurfpillsed will hurt. It's getting a pain to find six speed cassettes
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: February 08, 2015, 05:13:14 PM
Sorry you have a few issues mate but yes joys of old bikes  :-\ as for stem,you could try and find a Aheadset stem adapter,is the orange a older1inch type?  :tu:

Google Aheadset 1inch stem adapter :tu:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:18:38 PM by Zed »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: February 08, 2015, 06:10:25 PM
Sorry you have a few issues mate but yes joys of old bikes  :-\ as for stem,you could try and find a Aheadset stem adapter,is the orange a older1inch type?  :tu:

Google Aheadset 1inch stem adapter :tu:

I don't own a vernier, so can't give an accurate measurement. I've been watching YouTube videos on stem adapters and it seems there are a few variations, at least one was tapered???? Pretty certain LBS will be able to advise.

But, I'm not remotely worried. Its nothing major like damaged framed or forks. Pretty certain I'll have her up and running within the next week or so.

The important thing is I don't regret buying it. Once I get it running tiptop I'll be happy.

I'm being incredibly picky, but I'd like to get it as perfect as possible ;)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: February 08, 2015, 06:49:01 PM
Come on Tosh,lots of pics during the rebuild :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: February 13, 2015, 10:54:42 PM
Update :

Mavic X221 wheels arrived a few days ago - seem okay, certainly not mint. But tyres are very good, so I'm happy.

Had a rummage through my bike box, found the Shimano cassette removal tool, but could not get it to work. After 2hrs, I gave in and took both wheels to Halfords. He tried using my adapter....couldn't get it to work either (too long he said) so used his own - off in seconds!!!

Back home fitted new wheels with their Kendal tyres.
Fatter tyres really suit this bike, makes the slender frame stand out.
I think I'm going to take bike to LBS for new headset bearings (I'll upgrade to Needle bearings I think?)

Have been deliberating swapping quill stem for more modern version, but in the end I decided to keep the bike as original as possible.

Does anyone have any ideas how much I can expect to pay for a decent headset fitted?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: February 13, 2015, 10:58:35 PM
Update :

Mavic X221 wheels arrived a few days ago - seem okay, certainly not mint. But tyres are very good, so I'm happy.

Had a rummage through my bike box, found the Shimano cassette removal tool, but could not get it to work. After 2hrs, I gave in and took both wheels to Halfords. He tried using my adapter....couldn't get it to work either (too long he said) so used his own - off in seconds!!!

Back home fitted new wheels with their Kendal tyres.
Fatter tyres really suit this bike, makes the slender frame stand out.
I think I'm going to take bike to LBS for new headset bearings (I'll upgrade to Needle bearings I think?)

Have been deliberating swapping quill stem for more modern version, but in the end I decided to keep the bike as original as possible.

Does anyone have any ideas how much I can expect to pay for a decent headset fitted?

Around here its like sub-20 bucks for a decent 1" threaded headset, and they aren't very complicated, so I would hope they wouldn't charge much to install if you didn't want to do it.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: February 15, 2015, 01:46:20 PM
All set for tomorrow

.....now, which one shall I take :think:

Decisions Decisions :D

I've decided to book the Karakorum in for its first ever service - pretty certain my brother never bothered and yet I've grown quite fond of it during the past 5 months commute. I'm hoping to get the poor neglected thing tip-top (depending on costs  :facepalm: ) those long mudguards really do keep the spray off.

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 498.6 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 508.6 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 495.26 KB)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:03:41 PM by tosh »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: February 15, 2015, 04:09:54 PM
Orange!
 Orange!
  Orange!
   Orange! :ahhh

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: February 15, 2015, 04:21:59 PM
Very nice mate  :tu: enjoy,I'm going too put the slicks back on my hardtail for winter commuting, I mainly use my cannondale Jekyll for mtbing these days,the mudguards look good  :tu: I've got full mudguards on my audax bike,always used full guards on winter training bikes,keep us posted on how she rides  :salute:

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: February 15, 2015, 06:35:41 PM
Oh looking good there.

So how old is "vintage" ?

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 15, 2015, 07:01:56 PM
Oh looking good there.

So how old is "vintage" ?

The Orange is 21yrs
Tequesta 18yrs
Karakoram 20+ yrs

Took the orange to J James bike shop for new headset - the guy took a picture for Facebook - when I went to collect it there were 3 guys discussing it with the mechanics. I think I scored on this one  8) it rides beautifully considering I've put the off roading tyres back on. I quite fancy some fat road tyres (1.95" or 2.1" or bigger  :D)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 08:42:50 PM
Update :

Been commuting to work on the orange - but today I went on the Karakorum....Bliss!!

As lovely as the Orange is its no where near as nice to ride as the aging Karakorum, reason I guess is the stem. Its just too short.
Both the Tequesta and Karakorum have 130mm stems, the Orange is a measly 80mm, which seems to make all the difference. It isn't helped by the fact that the orange stem angles up higher than the other 2. Meaning the ride is totally alien too what I've got used to for the past 20yrs.

I'm going to fit a longer stem. If it still doesn't ride well, then I may let it go.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%