Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Homage, Rippoff, Improvement or Unrelated?

Tofty · 16 · 3595

Poll

What relationship do you think the Melon Tools OSOS has to my own prybar design?

A homage to the basic shape and layout of the Tofty prybar.
6 (28.6%)
A blatant ripoff of my prybar's design and function.
2 (9.5%)
A genuine improvement in design from my earlier concept.
1 (4.8%)
The two tools are unrelated in any way and any similarities are just coincidental.
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 12, 2015, 03:21:24 PM

gb Offline Tofty

Homage, Rippoff, Improvement or Unrelated?
on: February 05, 2015, 03:21:24 PM
Hi everyone,
Recently I came across a thread on EDCForums, where someone had pointed out the similarities between the Melon Tools OSOS prybar and my first prybar design, I'd done a few years ago. After looking into it I've come to my own conclusions, but I was wondering if other people also see any similarities and if so; what they think it means?

Melon Tools OSOS:

https://www.melontools.com/en_US/p/Pocket-Tool-OSOS-INOX-Metric/76

Tofty Prybar:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/34HL9WUMJ

Any and all comments welcome.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Homage, Rippoff, Improvement or Unrelated?
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 03:31:00 PM
There are a couple things that look similar, but so do a ton of other OPTs. A pry tool can be redesigned so many times. Yours is by no means a ripoff and looks way better. Yours also allows the bit to be used inline with the tool. Far more superior than the melon.
Just my 2 cents.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 06:01:19 PM
While I do see the similarities between the two, I don't think you could say it's a direct ripoff.  I think you'd even have a hard time being certain that they'd even seen yours before designing theirs.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:06:56 PM
My impression is: not a ripoff.
SAW

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 06:10:00 PM
Given how these things work, I think I would assume rip-off and look for "proof" that it isn't... :\

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 06:13:18 PM
Hard to proof it is a ripoff. Inspired, maybe.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 06:14:57 PM
Given how these things work, I think I would assume rip-off and look for "proof" that it isn't... :\
When I look at the two tools I see too many differences to accuse one of copying the other.
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 10:19:23 PM
I have to agree with much of what has been said regarding similarities being more about the design nature of these little tools rather than a blatant ripoff, at least in this case.

Sawman pretty much summed it up for me

When I look at the two tools I see too many differences to accuse one of copying the other.
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 10:44:14 PM
Both are made of steel, have a slight bent shape, a pry head and a cap lifter, internal tool holes, a driver, and are wrapped with rubber rings. The differences; one has a lanyard attachment, and the logos are not the same. I think many pry bars use various of the features listed above. To say that the bent shape makes it a ripoff, is a bit far fetched.
If I had to make a choice between the two, I like yours most  :salute:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 10:45:05 PM
No coincidence about it. If it only happened this time I'd maybe consider it a coincidence but there have been others. They have an account here and a second account by a member who occasionally posts in this board with their tools and I've told them before about copying other peoples designs. It seems to me they search the web for cool designs and then alter them a bit to pass as new ones.

http://forum.multitool.or....msg975514.html#msg975514

So for me, it's a rip off, or at least VERY "inspired" by the design of Torty's prybar. :whistle: 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:46:15 PM by enki_ck »

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 11:04:36 PM
No coincidence about it. If it only happened this time I'd maybe consider it a coincidence but there have been others. They have an account here and a second account by a member who occasionally posts in this board with their tools and I've told them before about copying other peoples designs. It seems to me they search the web for cool designs and then alter them a bit to pass as new ones.

So for me, it's a rip off, or at least VERY "inspired" by the design of Torty's prybar. :whistle:

Well that puts the whole thing in a new perspective. It seems the melon is a lemon.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 12:04:48 AM
It's similar.

I would guess they seen your design changed it up a bit and made a new tool.

Defend the Hive!!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 12:42:32 AM
While I do see the similarities between the two, I don't think you could say it's a direct ripoff.  I think you'd even have a hard time being certain that they'd even seen yours before designing theirs.

This was my thought too

Whilst there may well be such issues with that producer, I can't see Tofty's tool being the "target" in this particular instance. Inspiration maybe, but not the "slightly modified ripoff" tactic as has been seen before by OMPT makers. For me there are sufficient differences to blur the lines, and say this is no more a ripoff than any other OPMT producer is ripping off or being inspired by Atwood for example .... just like when other companies started producing butterfly opening pliers tools

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 01:39:37 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.
I personally agree with the majority, that it is either just inspired by my prybar or that it's just a coincidence and they went through the same logical design steps I did.

However, even If it was a bit of a copy, I'm glad that someone has put some thought into it and tried to make a quality tool, using decent 420 blade steel, rather than the straight knockoffs we see all too often.

The guitar tool is a much closer match, but even there they have made some genuinely useful design additions.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 02:23:28 AM
Perhaps Tofty inspired, but if tool design is anything like bag design, there is only so many ways a judge can skin a cat.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 02:05:37 PM

I just wanted to state that this sums up my view on it as well.

The guitar tool is a much closer match, but even there they have made some genuinely useful design additions.

I would give the inventor of the bass tool a fighting chance in a juridical battle, but nearly every tool has a different layout on the 2 tools discussed here. And there are some tools (the cutouts) that don't have a counterpart on the other. I don't see a design infringement.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%