Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Colored Micras

J-sews · 38 · 5633

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Colored Micras
on: January 07, 2007, 01:58:25 AM
Everyone here has a Leatherman Micra don't they? If you are like most folks I know, you probably have several. One in the car, one in the tackle box, another in the wife's purse. But do you have any of the colored ones?

Leatherman recognized the appeal of colored Micras early on, but went through several renditions coming up with the best way to do it. At first they simply spray-painted the tools in various colors. However, paint doesn't stick well to stainless steel, and the colors would scratch off after a short time. The finish was beautiful, but not very durable.

The next attempt to colorize the Micra involved a second "skin" for the tool. Stamped out of aluminum, anodized in various colors, and then attached over the stainless steel handles, this skin was a lot better than plain paint. It is not even noticable unless you look closely. One big clue is the rectangular handle cutout for the tweezers, which is covered up by the aluminum skin. A simple fingernail cutout is all that's left.

I don't know if the aluminum skin still tended to scratch? Or maybe it was too expensive to produce? Anyhow, Leatherman replaced it finally with translucent plastic skins. These handle covers are molded from see-through plastic in various colors, and paint chipping is no longer an issue. Surface scratches don't show up as noticably either. This is the current version offered by Leatherman today.

Pictured below are examples of all four types of Micra, including plain, painted, aluminum skinned, and plastic skinned.
Which one do you have?

* colored micras1.jpg (Filesize: 54.53 KB)

* colored micras2.jpg (Filesize: 63.89 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Colored Micras
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 02:00:18 AM
Here's another picture, this one showing the red translucent handle covers. They make the handles slightly thicker, but not enough to hardly notice.

~Bob

* colored micras3.jpg (Filesize: 63.13 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 02:18:53 AM
Interesting- I have them all as well, but I hadn't looked all that closely at the anodized aluminum coated one and just assumed that it was a nylon cover, similar to the nylon scales used in 111mm series and econmy SAK scales.  Now that I look at it I can certainly see that it is indeed aluminum, but it feels just like nylon!

To be honest I don;t care for the translucent plastic for a number of reasons.  First and foremost is the same reason I don't care for translucent SAL scales- they scuff quickly and look like crap almost right away.  This isn't too big a problem as they still work, but why go the extra length to look good if it's only going to look crappy?  Kind of defeats the purpose IMHO.

Next, unlike translucent SAK scales, crud easily gets caught under the plastic cover and is visible from the outside, and difficult to get out.  Again with the looking like crap thing.

Last, and this is a more personal issue- I may be more used to the bare metal, but I prefer the feel of it over the plastic cover.  Again, that's just me, and maybe I'd feel differently if I had carried the plastic covered one first.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 03:15:14 AM
I have the plain and the painted one.  The painted one I have looks terrible and the plain one....well, I am still looking for it :-\  I realize the plastic one is all that LM offers right now, but I have not wanted to buy it mainly because I thought it would look crappy after a bit of EDC. 
I found this site a couple years ago when I bought my Charge and it appears they still offer all versions of the Micra:
http://www.moontrail.com/knives/k-ltg/micra.html

I have ordered a few things from them with no hassel and they offer free shipping on all retail orders of at least $18 delivered within the "lower 48 states" of the USA.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 04:23:11 AM
...Next, unlike translucent SAK scales, crud easily gets caught under the plastic cover and is visible from the outside, and difficult to get out.  Again with the looking like crap thing....

Even worse, if you get the plastic covered Micra wet, you cannot easily dry it out.  The moisture stays in between the steel tool and plastic cover, inviting rust.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 04:34:10 AM
I agree, the colored plastic covers were a definite step backwards. Here's a close-up of one that I carried in my pocket for a week of camping and fishing this summer. It has all sorts of crud stuck in it, and no good way of cleaning it out.

* crudded.jpg (Filesize: 30.52 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 04:36:48 AM
I removed the plastic cover from a Micra.  Inside is a "normal" bare Micra.  But the screws are longer so they stick out like the electrodes in Frankenstein's neck.   :(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 07:34:22 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 04:37:32 AM
I wondered if that might happen!  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 04:40:54 AM
I had thought of doing that too but was concerned about the Frankenstein-ism myself.  Thanks for pointing that one out so I don't have to do it now! :P

I thought about using pressurized water or something to clean it out though.  I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you all know how I made out.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 04:11:59 AM
I'm wondering what all different colors the Micra came in? Here's what I know of....

Painted: Red, Green, Blue, Black

Aluminum: Red, Green, Blue, Black, Gray

Plastic: Red, Green, Blue

Are there any other colors that you know of?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 12:23:01 PM
That's a good question.  Maybe if Tim drops by he might be able to help.  I'll bet he has a million of them lying around!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 03:58:58 AM
I'm betting that a certain Mr. JoeBW has an insight on this question as well.

us Offline specgrade

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 04:13:31 PM
 The anodized aluminum looks kinda cool. I'm not as thrilled about the plastic scales, though. I imagine the painted ones would scratch easily, also.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 08:35:54 PM
You could say that...

Def

* Micra01.JPG (Filesize: 36.99 KB)

Offline colubrid

Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 10:06:44 PM
I remeved the plastic from mine as well. Boy was that a mistake. The screws stick out to far.

BTW I have a nice blue plastic covered one that I would trade for a painted model. I don't care it its all scratched up either.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 10:50:27 PM
Hey Colubrid- I was wondering where you had gotten to!

Welcome back bud!

Def

Offline joebw

Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 01:05:06 AM
Hi,

I think that J-Sews color chart is correct.  I've heard that the painted Micra was done in dark gray, but have yet (not that means much) to see one.  For the collector, go with J-sews list until we change it :D

Cheers - Joe

us Offline specgrade

Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 02:36:11 PM
You could say that...

Def

Man, that IS bad. More than I imagined! Thanks for the photo. How long have you had that Micra?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 08:58:20 PM
Probably only a couple of years or so- but I also got it second hand too, and it wasn't really gorgeous then either!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 03:49:09 AM
Of the different attempts at coloring Micras, I like the anodized aluminum scales the best. The finish on mine has held up well, and they are classier than the plastic scales. Yes, crud still gets stuck in between, but it isn't noticable like on the see-through plastic ones.

I wonder why Leatherman switched to the plastic?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 03:57:47 AM
Two reasons I imagine- plastic is cheaper, and it's hard to get translucent aluminum...

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 01:49:55 AM
Two reasons I imagine- plastic is cheaper..........

Yah, you're probably right about that.

Every now and then though, I wish manufacturers would opt for the "better" solution, instead of the "cheaper" solution.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 02:06:44 AM
Now what would be the fun in that?

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 02:08:32 AM
Time to resurrect this old thread, on account of a couple smartypants Leatherman collectors who need a new goal to strive for. ;)

The Micras with colored plastic scales or aluminum scales are easy to find. But those pretty painted ones from way back when.........not so easy. 8)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 02:57:26 AM
Mine was a pretty painted one at one point... does that count?

Def

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 03:12:27 AM
Time to resurrect this old thread, on account of a couple smartypants Leatherman collectors who need a new goal to strive for. ;)

The Micras with colored plastic scales or aluminum scales are easy to find. But those pretty painted ones from way back when.........not so easy. 8)

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

You're dead right, not easy to find and getting more difficult all the time. I've Nitormors'd a few that had even less paint on them than Def's, they're quite nice then as the steel isn't polished as highly as the regular SS finish.

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 05:28:53 AM
Yeh, that paint never did stick very well. :( Which is a bummer, because brand new the painted ones have such a deep rich color to them. After very little use though they start to look like Def's.  :(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 05:45:31 PM
The anodized Micra's:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 06:57:10 PM
The anodized Micra's:
Suddenly I need more Micra's... Thanks alot, Bob... :twak:  :D

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 07:36:28 PM
I`ve got several plain a red painted and blue plastic.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD