Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool.org- Staying right where it is!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Multitool.org- Staying right where it is!
on: February 11, 2015, 10:06:27 PM
I'm not usually one to keep things from members unless I absolutely have to, so I figured it was best to let you all know this, in case you hear it through the grapevine somehow.

In the past month I have been contacted by some companies interested in purchasing Multitool.org.  As a fair and open minded guy, and especially one who was curious, I responded to see what kind of money we were talking about- after all, if the right offer came around I'd seriously consider it.  Then I'd use the money to plan an elaborate trip where I travel the world and meet all of you in person and thank you for having been a part of this place!

For a variety of reasons I have terminated discussions with all of the companies that contacted me.  As much as I'd love to meet all of you and visit your corners of the world, I just can't see any of these companies offering me anywhere near what I would need to have to sell this place.  I never even got around to discussing money with them, I just told them all "Thanks but no thanks."

Besides, I have a few too many projects in the works with now to let this place go.  Maybe in the future MTO will change hands, but for now at least we are staying right here.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Multitool.org- Staying right where it is!
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:09:52 PM
Thanks Def.  :tu:   :salute:

I'm guessing any company that wants to buy MTo would most likely have commercial reasons, which wouldn't bode well for the current friendly and helpful (and independent) atmosphere of the place.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:23:51 PM
Good to hear it Grant :drink:

That (to me) means that this forum and the community that resides here, can retain it's heart and soul for the foreseeable future. That means a lot to me, and I'm sure it will to others too  :cheers:

Thanks for being so open with us Grant :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:29 PM
Unless it was a current member here, I could see this great place going downhill with new ownership.

As much as I love to see you get rich, I'd much rather have this place in your hands!!  Well, unless I could get rich too, and if that's the case, I'll start making for sale signs! :rofl:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:28:13 PM
Just sell shares to the members, so they can all be owners.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:35:45 PM
While I would hate to see the forum switch hands if that is what happens down the line and benefits you financially then so be it. I'm sure we would all understand.  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:37:21 PM

That (to me) means that this forum and the community that resides here, can retain it's heart and soul for the foreseeable future. That means a lot to me, and I'm sure it will to others too  :cheers:

+1... very well said. :cheers:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:41:59 PM
But Grant... I already cooked and now you are not coming for dinner :twak: you promised to come :twak: :twak:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:05 PM
So,we're same from The Wang for the time being
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:48:09 PM
Taking the steaks off the grill and clearing the table.............

I would not fault you one bit if the right price were to come along and you sold this place.  I'm very happy to hear that you declined until that time arrives.  I'll be sure to have some great steaks ready when and if you do sell, the beautiful California sun will be waiting and I'd be stoked for you to come. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:41 PM

I would not fault you one bit if the right price were to come along and you sold this place.  I'm very happy to hear that you declined until that time arrives.  I'll be sure to have some great steaks ready when and if you do sell, the beautiful California sun will be waiting and I'd be stoked for you to come.

I would have to make the trip if DEF came to Cali!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:52:54 PM

I would have to make the trip if DEF came to Cali!

Oh for sure and Kam too since he's not that far from me either.  Quite a few members in SoCal so we'd have a heck of a time.  My place isn't that big but you'd all be welcome, DEF  :pok: whenever you're ready to sell lets make it happen  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 11:07:05 PM
I also like like selling shares  (but I doubt it would be that simple)
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 12:07:10 AM
 :salute:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 12:52:53 AM
Thanks for the support, just curious.....how much would the amount have to he to sell this place off? How do you value a website???

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 12:54:13 AM
Thanks for the support, just curious.....how much would the amount have to he to sell this place off? How do you value a website???
A dollar for every post? :think:   :D

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 12:56:22 AM
A dollar for every post? :think:   :D
That'd be a deal on my part! Depending on the buyer. But instead of flying to everyone, I'd fly everyone to one location.

It'd be like a shot show....but an MTSHOW

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 01:09:23 AM
Another close call it sounds like. How can you put a price on a place like this...
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 03:36:57 AM
Basically they take the number of members, posts, page views, age of the domain, ad revenues vs the number of ad slots used and some other factors and assign a price.   Since we aren't using most of our ad slots our numbers look low so I decided that their offer would be too low.  I could be wrong, but the reality is I don't care.  I'm not interested in their offer.

The offers were made by legitimate companies that buy forums and wrap smurf loads of ads all over the place and make boatloads of money that the original forum owners (like me) leave on the table since we don't want to completely whore out.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 03:42:09 AM
Basically they take the number of members, posts, page views, age of the domain, ad revenues vs the number of ad slots used and some other factors and assign a price.   Since we aren't using most of our ad slots our numbers look low so I decided that their offer would be too low.  I could be wrong, but the reality is I don't care.  I'm not interested in their offer.

The offers were made by legitimate companies that buy forums and wrap smurf loads of ads all over the place and make boatloads of money that the original forum owners (like me) leave on the table since we don't want to completely whore out.  :D

Def

So you mean Camillus didn't try to buy us out to get rid of our.... thoughtful comments?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 03:44:52 AM
Well put Grant!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 04:29:41 AM

My thoughts exactly....thanks Grant :salute:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 10:05:44 AM

If you even feel sick and tired of endless snowstorms, come visit golden California, it is freaking 80 degree now in the middle of winter :shrug:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 10:38:43 AM
http://forum.multitool.org.cubestat.com/ and http://multitool.org.cubestat.com/

It estimates value of 13.000 USD for the forum and 12.000 USD for the website (I think these are not merged as the forum is valued higher).

I was expecting and offer twice as big... though a proper webshop might pay 20 times as much...

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 10:48:09 AM
I think Grant talked about an estimate of 100,000 a few years ago.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 11:32:30 AM

It estimates value of 13.000 USD for the forum and 12.000 USD for the website (I think these are not merged as the forum is valued higher).

I was expecting and offer twice as big... though a proper webshop might pay 20 times as much...

The problem with estimates like that is that they don't take into account the donations, Charter Memberships, stickers and other merchandise or other projects.  That just includes the hard website data- Adsense, page views, unique visitors etc.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 12:02:36 PM
 :hatsoff:

Another reminder of why I like this place so much. Thanks for sharing. This is a subject that you could with all legitimacy keep to yourself.

I think I'm not wrong to say this project is a great work of love on your part. The time and money you invested here is too big for me to fathom. It's more than understandable, if you get a good offer, to sell it and have some return for all you put into MTo. The fact that you prefer to keep it as it is says a lot about the relationships this place has created.(*)

I don't know about the rest of the people here but I'm willing to have a few more adds around the site so it can be more "profitable" and make you even more keen on keeping the site.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
 :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

(*) and probably about your decaying mental capabilities. You're saying no to getting rich and get rid of all the insanity going around here?! It's like Arkham Asylum in here!!!! Sometimes, even I am scared of coming here and that's saying a lot!!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 12:05:36 PM

Unfortunately this website is notorious for inaccurately obtaining that sort of information. It doesn't calculate adsense correctly etc. Among other things.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 01:09:06 PM
Thanks, Grant, for not whoring out this website.  :salute:

If some company bought this site they'd turn into something not worth visiting.

Now it's time to donate to show my support.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%