Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Zebralight getting stuck

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Zebralight getting stuck
on: February 12, 2015, 10:33:39 PM
Yesterday night I grabbed my Zebralight SC51 off of the nightstand and wanted to turn it on in moonlight, the long press. But instead it went straight into High-high. And was stuck there. Off-On. Still in high. Pressing the button to make it cycle through modes. Still High. (No, not me, the flashlight. :twak: ) Took the battery out and clicked the button a few times, reinserted the battery. Still only High. :think: Repeated the process a few times and finally managed to engage a low but it had a lot of flickering. :-\ Played around a bit with it and after a few attempts to get it to cycle it started acting normal again. :shrug:

The last and only mode I used it that day was High and it was running in that mode for maybe 10 minutes, so high from of and no cycling. Switched it off normally and the next time I turned it off, it got stuck.

It's in full working order now again but I found it odd and a bit worrying. Never happened to me in all the years I've had it. I know we have a few Zebralight fans here (and Al, who's a bit less of a fan of it :P ) so I was wondering if anyone had similar issues with their lights.

I seem to remember someone posting about their light having similar problems but that turned out to be cause they cycled to much and went into maintenance mode.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Zebralight getting stuck
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:48:57 PM
Never had anything like that happen with mine. Not sure why yours would be doing this.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:51:34 PM
I can't remember:  Does the Zebralight have a lock setting (my Lumapower D-mini VX has a lock setting that is pretty easy to accidentally set)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:53:04 PM
I can't remember:  Does the Zebralight have a lock setting (my Lumapower D-mini VX has a lock setting that is pretty easy to accidentally set)

Nope. Lockout is by backing off the battery cap.
I'm the milk man!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:57:59 PM
Never had anything like that happen with mine. Not sure why yours would be doing this.  :think:

Not doing it. Did it once last night. Hope it doesn't happen again.

As the Captain said, unscrewing the tail cap a bit is the only lockout available. Would be useful though as the SC51 was notoriously known for accidentally turning on in the pocket.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:10:13 PM

Not doing it. Did it once last night. Hope it doesn't happen again.

As the Captain said, unscrewing the tail cap a bit is the only lockout available. Would be useful though as the SC51 was notoriously known for accidentally turning on in the pocket.

Guess I wasn't clear.  On the Lumapower, if you click 3 times in rapid succession, it will lock the setting.  That is, if it locks on high, you can't cycle through to low until you unlock it again.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 11:29:46 PM

Guess I wasn't clear.  On the Lumapower, if you click 3 times in rapid succession, it will lock the setting.  That is, if it locks on high, you can't cycle through to low until you unlock it again.

Yup, I understood you. ;) But the unscrewing the tailcap slightly IS the only "lockout" available on the SC51. Don't know how familiar you are with Zebras but there's a lot of clicking modes there. 7 mods in total 3 of them available from off. And no lockout.

The button is quite raised and soft so it was very easy to turn it on accidentally so a lot of people were asking for a redesign of it when the SC52 came out. I think they just made it harder to click and more recessed. Still no lockout on the new model either. 

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 04:27:24 AM
Many of theses sorts of issues with Zebralight have been related to low voltage (either battery or poor contact on tailcap).  Mine can get quite weird when the battery gets too low, but swap in a freshly charged battery and everything is working as per normal again.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 02:35:16 AM
And I had it happen again. :facepalm:

Cleaning the the threads, changing the battery, nothing helped.

So I started clicking the switch repeatedly in quick succession. After about 50-60 clicks, the medium mode popped up and after that it started normally working again. :shrug:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 01:59:29 PM
And this is the first time it's happened in the last year and a half?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 02:12:43 PM
Yup. I had it hung in my tent as a night light during the first trip at the start of July but forgot to take it out when I packed up my tent. Then during this trip I left it up although it was only on moonlight due to low battery. When I got home I put in a fresh battery and noticed it was stuck.

Probably got locked in on high during storage/transport, but I never heard or read anywhere that the Zebras have a mode lock function and there's nothing like it mentioned in the manual.  :shrug:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 04:15:49 PM
It's definitely not something I've heard about anywhere else.  Perhaps worth a message to Zebralight themselves?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%