Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New tablet research

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New tablet research
on: February 14, 2015, 02:30:43 PM
As mentioned in the Lollipop thread I am in need of a new tablet.  Given the issues I had with my Nexus 7 since the Lollipop update I had been looking at upgrading, so I'm not totally in the dark about what's on the market right now, but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts from others.  Here's what I'm considering:

Google Nexus 9- There's no bloatware, my last Nexus was a good machine and it's the only one that comes natively with Lollipop so I don't have to worry about how well the inevitable upgrade is goign to work out.  The down side is that it's a bit pricey.

NVidia Shield- I loved NVidia graphics card, and this is primarily a gaming machine so it's probably quite overpowered (good) and the price is probably the best on the list, but I always worry about support and accessories (like cases) for non-mainstream brands and models.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S- I'm really happy with my Galaxy S5 and I can't help but feel that sticking with Samsung is probably a good thing.  The down side is that it comes with a pile of extra Samsung bloat (although so did my phone and it's not a problem) and it's also a bit pricey.

Other suggestions are welcome of course- since I just replaced the roof on my house my toy budget is a bit limited so I have time to think this through and (try!  :P) to make the right choice.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: New tablet research
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 02:34:28 PM
I love my new samsung tab 3,screens big think around 10inches,its very smooth running ,makes my old playbook look like a toy  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 02:46:27 PM
It looks like the only one of those three units that Otterbox makes a Defender series case for is the Samsung, so I might be leaning that way.

Does anyone need/want a Defender case for the original Nexus 7?  If so, cover shipping and I'll send it to you.

Same goes for a Defender case for a Samsung Galaxy S5, although that's another thread entirely.   :whistle:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 07:20:00 PM
I never actually liked Samsung's stuff, personally, so I wouldn't advice for it :P

I have one of their 8 inch tablets now, and it just feels really cheap, and I can't really get along with it... It was free though so I can't complain too much :P

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 08:20:22 PM
LG Gpad 8.3 is an awesome tablet. The only thing I would wish would be a bigger battery, not because it is bad, just because I use it so much for everything. If ig would cost double the price I would thing it would worth it. I am a longtime PDA fan, starting with Palm Vx and Tungsten, Sony Clies (TH55 included), HP iPaQ (Windows bliah) and the iPod/iPhone ofcourse, not to mention the Archos (AV500, 5) so I am picky on personal information and multimedia appliances. This is great, I'll keep it until it dies and my next phone will be LG with Android too.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 09:25:56 PM
Lenovo has some decent, low cost products, with good finish/build.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 09:48:20 PM
Just get an iPad,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 11:51:02 PM
Just get an iPad,
JR

I can't.  I'd look silly in skinny jeans and suspenders.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 12:40:06 AM
Judging by the conditions you need to use these devices under it would make more sense to start with the list of devices that have otterbox cases available, then maybe weed down by functions/features/price.

Did you manage to kill your S5 already?  :facepalm:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 01:51:00 AM
I love my Samsung Tab S.  Much bigger than the Nexus 7 though

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 03:18:17 AM
I feel you..  Lollipop ruined mine too..  My daughter's died 6 months ago and squeaked in under Newegg's extended replacement policy..  Mine, not so much... 

When hers went and now as mine sucks wind..  I looked at the same three you did..  Nexus 9 was the first pick to replace my daughter's but no SD card slot, price, and the ever bumping back release date took it out of the running.. Shield looked nice but as you think, I noticed not much accessories for it.  I ended up getting my daughter the tab s 10.1 

That thing rocks...  Light, decent Battery, Fast, and a gorgeous screen.. Bit pricey with the 10" and 32gig on board.. But a sweet machine..  I'm looking at the 8 for me when my income tax return materializes..

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 04:46:47 AM
Just get an iPad,
JR

Def
Says who :shrug:
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 06:26:23 AM
Yeah, I had a look at that and so it looks like the Samsung is it.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 06:29:31 AM
Just get an iPad,
JR

Def
JR

I greatly dislike Apple, their products and iOS. I don't own any Apple devices, never have and don't ever plan to.

So, probably not going to get an iPad.....  :Probably

Def

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 06:34:43 AM
Just get an iPad,
JR

Def
JR

I greatly dislike Apple, their products and iOS. I don't own any Apple devices, never have and don't ever plan to.

So, probably not going to get an iPad.....  :Probably

Def
Well I didn't know. My bad..
JR

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 08:08:46 AM
Just get an iPad,
JR

Def
JR

So, probably not going to get an iPad.....  robably

Def
You would hate it more if you did own one. Unless you like totalitarian regimes and be treated as an idiot.

Offline bmh46

Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 08:34:36 AM
Would it be too late if I suggested the Nexus 10.
Here's why: maybe the size might be a deal breaker,  but man it is the neat complete tablet.  Great processor,  great graphics,  and most of all the front facing speakers!
Google Lollipop has some bugs for sure,  but so does every other OS out there,  it's all anout riding the ahort wave until 5.1 when they figure out all the bugs.  Anywho,  that's my take on it. 

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 08:55:15 AM
Just get an iPad,
JR

Def
JR

So, probably not going to get an iPad.....  robably

Def
You would hate it more if you did own one. Unless you like totalitarian regimes and be treated as an idiot.

In a nutshell, that's my complaint about Apple.  If I buy it, I should be able to adjust the software to do what Iwant without voiding the warranty.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 01:26:25 PM
I'm not trying to bag on Apple.  They do have an excellent system if you have an iPad, iPhone and a MacBook.   They operate seamlessly as one unit and that is good.

However, I don't have all of that, nor do I plan on getting all of that, and I really don't care for my wife's iPad Mini.  It's a nice device, but I don't like the way it does things.

I'll stick with Android.

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 01:57:14 PM
Im happy with all my samsung tablets.   :salute:   I have only tried samsung though so I dont have anything to compare them to.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 03:19:37 PM
I'm happy with my Samsung phone and its the only one of the three that there's an Otterbox for.  Plus I've scratched the Google Nexus 9 off the list since it doesn't have a card slot. 

Def

us Offline trigger

Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 03:39:49 PM
Are you wanting to stay with android?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 06:22:46 PM
Yes.  I have no desire to go to Windows or iOS.

I have just ordered a Griffin Survivor case for the Galaxy Tab S 8.4, so I guess that effectively means my decision has been made.

Def

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 08:19:04 PM
Im not disappointed with my tab 3 def,it works very well and has a sd card slot,the graphics are amazing,and the main thing is MTO works very well  ;)

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 09:53:40 PM
Yes.  I have no desire to go to Windows or iOS.

I have just ordered a Griffin Survivor case for the Galaxy Tab S 8.4, so I guess that effectively means my decision has been made.

Def
Was that Otterbox for the 2012 nexus 7 or 2013? I'm gonna try cyanogen mod on this 2012 soon...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 02:57:57 AM
2012 model.

I managed to fool the Tech Gods today.  I ordered a case for the Galaxy Tab S and actually went out to buy one today, but as most of the city was shut down due to a massive ice storm I was unable to buy one.  When I got home I picked up my Nexus 7 and it powered on.  Usually devices don't come back to life for me until I replace them.

Given that it's acting a bit flaky, and that I have a case on the way, I might just get the Galaxy anyway.

Def

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 03:30:58 AM
LG Gpad 8.3 is an awesome tablet. The only thing I would wish would be a bigger battery, not because it is bad, just because I use it so much for everything. If ig would cost double the price I would thing it would worth it. I am a longtime PDA fan, starting with Palm Vx and Tungsten, Sony Clies (TH55 included), HP iPaQ (Windows bliah) and the iPod/iPhone ofcourse, not to mention the Archos (AV500, 5) so I am picky on personal information and multimedia appliances. This is great, I'll keep it until it dies and my next phone will be LG with Android too.

This.

My wife has had a couple of Kindles and she loves them but I have a LG G2 which is just a bigger version of KK's tablet and it is shocking how much better it is then anything else I have seen.

Stupid fast, beautiful screen and very stable OS. Battery is very good but like everything could be better.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 10:38:48 AM
Given our experience with our Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 2 pro laptop, I'm tempted towards the Yoga 2 8" tablet as a possible replacement to my Nexus 7 whenever it dies. I'd definitely consider a Samsung or LG (my nexus 4 is LG and while it has a few things I dislike, it runs great).
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 04:26:40 PM
I'm actually leaning towards the shield.. Nvidia has their crap together, a hardware maker who knows speed sells, also they know the importance of stable software and how it can turn you from a rock star into a janitor..

I also want 32gig on board..  And a 32gig Galaxy tab s is hard to find and about a hundred bucks more than comparable Units.

I'm really intrigued by it, even without an otterbox

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:12 PM
I pulled the trigger today on a Galaxy S 8.4 with 16 gigs.  I wasn't worried about going with a big memory model as it has a card slot that expands the machine by up to 128 gigs.

Also, I have the big model Nexus 7 (I think 16 gigs) and I never came close to using that much memory. 

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%