Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New tablet research

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: New tablet research
Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 10:54:46 AM
I pulled the trigger today on a Galaxy S 8.4 with 16 gigs.  I wasn't worried about going with a big memory model as it has a card slot that expands the machine by up to 128 gigs.

Also, I have the big model Nexus 7 (I think 16 gigs) and I never came close to using that much memory. 

Def
Indeed, I think any future purchases will require an SD slot. I was disappointed that neither my Nexus 4 or 7 had that option, and while I know Google pushed away from that practice mostly for security reasons it seems like they were intentionally crippling the lifespan of their devices. While I agree it's probably not good to keep things like apps or other personal data stored on the SD, it's very useful as extended media (photos/videos/music) and also general storage like GPS data files... (as it is I sacrifice 2.6gb of my storage for my Copilot GPS maps)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 11:49:49 AM
It's not just the SD card that is the  important reason for having an SD card slot.   When a device comes with an SD slot it means the component in Android for expanded storage is activated And you can then connect your device to flash drives, hard drives and so on using OTG cables.  My Nexus 7 didn't have a card slot, and while that wasn't a huge deal, it did annoy me that I couldn't plug in a flash drive or similar device.  It's not something I so often, but it could be if it was something that I could actually do.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 12:46:30 AM
I got a Griffon Survivor case for the Tab S and it arrived today.  I have to say, I wasn't familiar with these cases, but with very limited play time it doesn't seem so bad.

I have been resisting playing with the new tablet too much lately as devices these days seem so fragile that I'm actually scared of using them without protection.

So hopefully in the next little bit I'll have some info about how I'm getting along with all of it

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 08:34:42 AM

I'm actually scared of using them without protection.

Me too.  :whistle:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 09:36:54 AM

I'm actually scared of using them without protection.

Me too.  :whistle:

yeah trust ,as a man with 3 daughters   :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 12:43:57 PM
 :pok: Zed    so far...    :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 01:32:09 PM
:pok: Zed    so far...    :D

nope 3 is enough  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 01:38:13 PM
 :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #38 on: March 07, 2015, 04:09:47 AM
Ok, I went the same route and got the Galaxy tab s 8.4 with the Griffin survivor..

The screen protector in that case sucks, so I got a zagg shield and cut off the integrated screen protector....  So oooooo much better.

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #39 on: March 07, 2015, 04:11:01 AM
BTW if you're ditching that nexus 7 Otterbox I'll take it off your hands..  Gonna root the nexus for my niece.

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 03:35:50 AM
I've been really happy with my Kindle Fire HD7.  I do most of my actual computing on one of my two laptops, but for web browsing, facebook, and your other lightweight apps, I've been thoroughly pleased.  I also use it for some of my textbooks.  I'm not really worried about durability; It just doesn't give that "I'm gonna break" vibe.

And you can have it in a number of screen sizes, plus they're coming out with even more powerful ones, god knows why.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 12:48:23 AM
I've been using the Tab S for some time now and I have to say that overall I like it.  I don't find much difference from the N7 though, apart from a slightly larger screen and the fact that it works.  :P

I do find Flipboard annoying, especially since there's no way to deactivate it, uninstall it, shrink it or otherwise remove it- it takes up the entire screen to the left of the Home Screen and there isn't a bloody thing you can do about it, short of rooting.  Annoying for sure.  Otherwise it is everything I wanted in a tablet and I'm quite pleased.

The Griffin Survivor case is another story though.  I want to like it, but it seems too much like it was a case designed for a different device and modified slightly to fit the Tab S.  It does fit snugly, but the power and volume buttons are a crapshoot.  Sometimes you push the rubber just the right way and it works, sometimes not.  I have taken to using the Home button to wake the device up and just let it sleep on it's own.

The case also has a nasty habit of opening- not all of it mind you, but there are two tabs on either side that hold the front frame and screen protector in place, and often one of them will just let go.  The case won't fall off or anything, but the screen protector gets lifted off that corner of the device and the screen doesn't respond as well.

Speaking of the screen not responding, when the device is in landscape mode you really can't pull down the menu from the top because the case sides (rubber armor) is in the way.

One other thing that I miss from the Defender case on my N7 is the cover that protects the screen when the device is not in use.  Yes it adds a lot of bulk to the device, but I really don't like having the screen exposed when I stick it in my work bag.  What good is a case if it only offers the most basic protection for the most fragile component?  Especially when that component is almost a full 50% of the device?

I think this case might go on the chopping block soon, to be replaced by a Defender.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: March 14, 2015, 01:50:32 AM
I think you should be able to uninstall with Clean Master... somewhere in there I believe it has more advanced options for uninstall/disabling apps you don't want/need that come stock. I have done so with a few on my Nexus devices which while relatively bloat free have a couple apps I don't care about.

us Offline BASguy

New tablet research
Reply #43 on: March 22, 2015, 04:32:05 PM
Just get an iPad,
JR

I can't.  I'd look silly in skinny jeans and suspenders.

Def
Says who :shrug:
JR

I greatly dislike Apple, their products and iOS. I don't own any Apple devices, never have and don't ever plan to.

So, probably not going to get an iPad.....  :Probably

Def
I hear comments like this and .....SSMH

I've spent my entire work career in a Microsoft world.  I spend lots of time setting up PC's and servers.  It's a pleasure to utilize a MAc, iPads, and iPhones for our (my wife and I) personal universe.  Everything plays together almost seemless, and it just pretty much always works.  Other than a couple of buggy iOS patch issues with 8.x I can't recall ever being close to disappointed with Apple.  Can't say that for Microsoft or Android.  What works on one hardware platform for Android can be a nightmare on another.  No thanks..... I like reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #44 on: March 22, 2015, 04:49:41 PM
Just get an iPad,
JR

I can't.  I'd look silly in skinny jeans and suspenders.

Def
Says who :shrug:
JR

I greatly dislike Apple, their products and iOS. I don't own any Apple devices, never have and don't ever plan to.

So, probably not going to get an iPad.....  :Probably

Def
I hear comments like this and .....SSMH

I've spent my entire work career in a Microsoft world.  I spend lots of time setting up PC's and servers.  It's a pleasure to utilize a MAc, iPads, and iPhones for our (my wife and I) personal universe.  Everything plays together almost seemless, and it just pretty much always works.  Other than a couple of buggy iOS patch issues with 8.x I can't recall ever being close to disappointed with Apple.  Can't say that for Microsoft or Android.  What works on one hardware platform for Android can be a nightmare on another.  No thanks..... I like reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We were just up for contract renewal, so I decided to go back to an iPhone.  Man, am I ever glad I did!  I was going to get one of the high end Android phones, but my brother inlaw (store manager) talked me going with an iPhone 6. 

This is the experience I've ever had with a phone.  As IOS progresses, so does just how well the devices all play together.  I have an iPad, and if I'm browsing on it, and pick up my iPhone, I can just swipe up on the browser icon on the lock screen, and it takes me to the exact spot on the page I was at on my iPad.  I love how I can also send text messages to anyone (not just Apple users) from my iPad now as well, and can even answer and make calls on it, though I can't see why I'd want to.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: March 22, 2015, 05:25:57 PM
I agree that Apple devices are excellent when working with other Apple devices.  Unfortunately I am resistant to change and I can't afford to replace everything I use with absurdly expensive Apple versions of the same thing.

They are also much less tolerant of non Apple devices than anything else.  Android and Microsoft may not be the best platforms at communicating but at least the acknowledge the existence of other types of machines.

Def

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #46 on: March 22, 2015, 06:15:35 PM
The flip board crap doesn't bother me much, just removed any tile I could. The Griffin case on the other hand I will dump when I can.. Not floating my boat.

us Offline BASguy

New tablet research
Reply #47 on: March 22, 2015, 07:12:34 PM
I agree that Apple devices are excellent when working with other Apple devices.  Unfortunately I am resistant to change and I can't afford to replace everything I use with absurdly expensive Apple versions of the same thing.

They are also much less tolerant of non Apple devices than anything else.  Android and Microsoft may not be the best platforms at communicating but at least the acknowledge the existence of other types of machines.

Def
I think you're getting some bad feedback on that.  I've never had an issue running peripherals in a Mac environment.  In fact, my 2002 printer fax is humming right along on my 2014 MacBook Pro.  Drivers built for Mac are very reliable.  In recent years I can't remember getting a peripheral that wouldn't work.  I'm certainly sure there are many, just hasn't been issue for me.
I'd also question absurdly expensive.  I replaced my MacBook Pro after 8 years of service.  Didn't have to pay for OS upgrades and added memory 1 time.  All in, the average cost was about $100/year.  I'd say that's pretty comparable with any PC.  Go ahead and run a current PC for half that time and compare performance. 
Agreed up front costs are more, but it's certainly more than compensated for. 
Also, don't have to run antivirus and all that other nonsense.  Life's just easier this way....

Also, I'm still cruising along on an iPad 2 that is 4 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:19:07 PM by BASguy »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: March 22, 2015, 07:59:47 PM
I ran a $500 PC for eight years and it's still going strong with someone else now.  All I put into it was a memory upgrade ($20) and a new keyboard ($10) in all that time.

My wife has an iPad Mini and it is a nice little machine but I really like the N7 and now the Tab S much better.  The screens are nicer and I really am more comfortable in the Android environment.   

There are benefits to both, and I prefer the benefits of Android to the benefits of Apple.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: April 01, 2015, 01:15:39 AM
The flip board crap doesn't bother me much, just removed any tile I could. The Griffin case on the other hand I will dump when I can.. Not floating my boat.

I actually am not a fan of the Griffin Survivor at all.  I am almost at the point where I'd rather use the device without a case, it's that bad.

I am definitely going to replace it with an Otterbox Defender the first chance I get.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: April 25, 2015, 03:14:30 AM
The Defender case for the Tab S came in today.  I put it on the Tab S immediately and it blows the Survivor out of the water in every way. Seriously.  I've had it in for five minutes and everything about it is better.

Better fit, better feel, protects the screen,  everything.

The Griffin Survivor case is utter crap.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: July 28, 2015, 11:24:10 AM
Perhaps the irony won't be lost on this, but previously we both owned the same Nexus 7 model, and I've now decided to replace mine as well, and somewhat ironically chose the Samsung Tab S 8.4 too, not based on using yours briefly during my visit or this thread but because I compared the specs I read online about it to the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 8 2 that I wanted and also from seeing a demo model in a shop.

I have the Bronze model on order, and should be available for pickup today or tomorrow. I ordered the official Samsung "Book Cover" in brown/bronze that matches it 2h after my tab order, and it already arrived this morning.

(http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/accessories/case/EF-BT700BBEGWW)

Amazon seems much faster than our ElCorteIngles (The Bay) chain, which said my order should be ready within 48h and the cover came in under 48h. The Amazon price that matches the chain on the tablet says 2-4weeks wait... or pay 40eur more for immediate delivery on a different listing.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: July 28, 2015, 02:03:51 PM
I've been very happy with mine.  The only issue I have is that you can't remove Flip book without rooting. Unfortunately there's nothing in Flip book that I want to use so it's just a pain.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: July 28, 2015, 06:25:53 PM
Once I actually get mine I'll have a look. I can imagine there's a few threads on the net about the subject already and workarounds.

I'm guessing that tomorrow will likely be the delivery day, but who knows... at least I get a mobile notification of when it's available for pickup so it's not like I need to sit at home waiting for the courier as we did with the cover (but obviously, it came immediately when they said it would)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: July 28, 2015, 08:50:04 PM
I looked when I first got it and there was nothing.  Now I just don't swipe left.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: July 29, 2015, 01:13:11 PM
Well still no word on mine, in fact, they just refunded my purchase to my bank account.  :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: July 29, 2015, 08:03:58 PM
That's not a good sign.

Def

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #57 on: July 29, 2015, 09:21:16 PM
Hey Whoey,

When you flashed back to kitkat, did that improve your N7?  I love the size of the N7 but dang, Android 5.1 is not good for it. :(

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: July 30, 2015, 03:11:45 AM
yes, dramatically compared to 5.x

It's still being a bit of a slug compared to newer tablets, but it's made my nexus 7 bareable until my replacement rolls in... then it may become a permanent resident in the car as a GPS and/or head unit.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 11:35:01 PM
Any update?

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%