Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mini Surge 2.0

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Mini Surge 2.0
on: February 17, 2015, 05:13:43 AM
I was originally going to wait until it was completely finished, but I couldn't resist sharing this one with you guys. :D

Ever since Metro showed us the Master & Commander, I've been wanting to try fitting a Blade Exchanger into a Wave/Charge. I knew it would be a challenge using only a Dremel and some hand files, but I figured it was worth a shot. ;)

to start with, a public service announcement: be wary of buying tools on ebay listed as having "some light rust spots, but otherwise in great condition." :facepalm:

a couple hours and plenty of elbow grease later, I had the donor Surge parts all cleaned up, especially the all-important Blade Exchanger. :)

a few months later, I finally got around to starting on the mod. :facepalm: as with any Dremel/grinding work, slow & steady is the key... and I'm happy with this one. :) I used a reinforced cutting wheel to carefully cut out the section needed for the BE, then used a carbide bit to run along the edges and smooth them out a little bit. after that was a hand file (the diamond file on another LM Wave, actually), and finally some fine grit sandpaper to finish it off. the result is a nice smooth line that has zero chance of cutting the user's hand. ;)

I've been using a lot of Wingman scissors lately, so I decided to branch out and give the infamous 91mm Vic scissors a try on this one. :tu:

however, I got a little Dremel-happy and ground off just a hair too much, so the lockup isn't quite as nice as I'd like it to be. :-\ I haven't decided if I'm going to switch to Wingman scissors or sacrifice another SAK.

anyway, here's what it looks like at this point. I found some 3.25" jigsaw blades at Harbor Freight that fit into the Wave frame perfectly, so that adds some flexibility to the tool's loadout.

and yes, I realize that the pivots don't match. I still need to trim the other Surge pivot, but I wanted to get the tool put together for the pics. I'm going to disassemble the whole thing and send the handles in for Cerakoting to cover up the spots where the Dremel slipped just for fun. :D I'm planning on a two-tone look, with black handles and SS tools.

I'm also going to use this one as sort of a test platform. some ideas I want to try:
  • grinding the large flat driver into a chisel and/or light-duty pry bar
  • replacing the can opener with a Vic combo tool
  • replacing the large flat driver with the Wingman package opener (need to find the right spacer to go along with the package opener, since it's thinner than the flat driver)

I'll be sure to post an update with more pics once I get the handles cerakoted and make some more progress. in the meantime, feel free to add to my list of ideas to try. ;)

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Mini Surge 2.0
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:48:04 AM
Nice  :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:51:13 AM
That is awesome.  :tu:  Any pics of it closed?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:22:43 AM
Nice!

Love to see people trying new things.

Not a huge fan of the Wave scissors so need some ideas on what to do about a replacement for them. This thread will be helpful for that.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:31:08 AM
Great result, how does it look folded?

Cheers  :tu:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

il Offline dan.mandiel

• i need a surge :cry:
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 08:07:05 AM
definitely an upgrade from the older version! :multi:
- Ok sir, we've found this good multitool without scissors-

-scissors.

- but sir, we figured it might not have scissors but it does have almost everything you need for a good price! -

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:58:48 AM
Looks good. Are you going to polish all tools to match vic scissors and yet to come combo tool?

I just wonder, when someone will built blade exchanger to go inside frame. I would happily lose minidriver and bottleopener tools on behalf of blade exchanger.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 09:40:59 AM
Looks good. Are you going to polish all tools to match vic scissors and yet to come combo tool?

I just wonder, when someone will built blade exchanger to go inside frame. I would happily lose minidriver and bottleopener tools on behalf of blade exchanger.

Oh yes. Great idea.

Lobby and Breeze get on this. I will give you till this weekend to have t done.

il Offline dan.mandiel

Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:31 AM

Oh yes. Great idea.

umm Supertool 300 EOD? i thought of the same thing and then i sat the ST300 EOD model.. :D :tu:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:22:19 AM by dan.mandiel »

-scissors.

- but sir, we figured it might not have scissors but it does have almost everything you need for a good price! -

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 11:23:41 AM

Oh yes. Great idea.

umm Supertool 300 EOD? i thought of the same thing and then i sat the ST300 EOD model.. :D :tu:
Yes, but it will not fit inside wave/charge frame...

il Offline dan.mandiel

Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 11:24:58 AM

Oh yes. Great idea.

but thats why we're here.. to mod stuff! :multi:

-scissors.

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 11:27:47 AM

Oh yes. Great idea.

Go on then.  :P

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 12:11:22 PM

Oh yes. Great idea.

Go on then.  :P

Force is strong in this one...

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 12:24:40 PM
Nice modding!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 05:24:27 PM
You turned that old rust-bucket into something useful :tu:
SAW

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 07:26:58 PM
thanks guys! :)

That is awesome.  :tu:  Any pics of it closed?
Great result, how does it look folded?

Cheers  :tu:

sorry, no pics of it closed yet... mostly because I haven't done the requisite awl grinding/reshaping yet. :D I'm not totally set on the internal tool loadout; I might change it up a bit.  (but I should really grind down the awl anyway... I'm sure it will get used in a mod sooner or later.)

I also want to figure out what is going on with the BE. it's a very snug fit in the handle, even with the cutout, and it's difficult to open. loosening the pivot screw didn't help, and neither did an extra bronze washer. :think: it's still perfectly usable, just not as smooth as the other tools. ;)

Oh yes. Great idea.

I thought of this option as well. the t-shank adapter from a ST300 EOD might fit in there after some reshaping around the pivot area... but it took me a couple months of ebay searching to find a donor Surge at a reasonable price (extra rust included at no extra cost!). if anyone has a spare ST300 EOD that they're willing to sacrifice for this, let me know and I'll be happy to give it a shot. :P

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 08:41:43 PM
Haha, yeah...the ST300 EOD blade exchanger, I've been eying my own one for similar mod but it hurts me to even think what will it do to my existing EOD tool, so will probably leave it alone for now. These are hard to get by in damaged/spare/run off form so as you stated you'll most likely have to buy the whole ST300 tool as a donor.

Thanks for clarifying my question, the reason I asked is that the awl looked in suspiciously original condition to be used for this type of mod so it made me scratch my head a little  :tu:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 08:54:00 PM
Haha, yeah...the ST300 EOD blade exchanger, I've been eying my own one for similar mod but it hurts me to even think what will it do to my existing EOD tool, so will probably leave it alone for now. These are hard to get by in damaged/spare/run off form so as you stated you'll most likely have to buy the whole ST300 tool as a donor.

Thanks for clarifying my question, the reason I asked is that the awl looked in suspiciously original condition to be used for this type of mod so it made me scratch my head a little  :tu:

I should have known that one of the other modders would notice that. :D

exactly... buying a new ST300 EOD just for one part that might be usable in a Wave/Charge seems a bit much. used Waves that can be cleaned up and used for mods are easy to come by; even the Charges can be found for a fairly good deal if you're patient. Surges are much harder to come by; even more so for the ST300 EOD. :-\

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 08:56:55 AM

Surges are much harder to come by...

Tell me about it.  :rant:

il Offline dan.mandiel

Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 09:52:15 AM

there's actually a BO used new version surge now on ebay:tu:

-scissors.

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 09:45:33 PM

maybe I should have been more specific... Surges are much harder to come by at a decent price... especially if the Surge is just going to be used for mod fodder. :-\

il Offline dan.mandiel

Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 08:30:22 AM

maybe I should have been more specific... Surges are much harder to come by at a decent price... especially if the Surge is just going to be used for mod fodder. :-\
I would happily pay 50 dollas for that surge but my dad won't let me
50 dollars is not that much..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-scissors.

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 09:26:36 AM
50 bucks ain't bad at all, if I was not saving for a caper top for my truck I might be all over it.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 07:08:46 PM
nope, that's not bad at all for a Surge. maybe I should actually look for the ebay listing next time. :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 04:02:15 PM
nope, that's not bad at all for a Surge. maybe I should actually look for the ebay listing next time. :D

Meh. The one package that actually got lost while I was here was my OC Pioneer I got off of Ebay.

Of course I can not really say it was the seller since we are in the back woods of Afghanistan. Just glad it was not very expensive.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 05:29:36 PM
I spent the better part of last night looking at Metros Wave mod with BE.  I'm glad I stumbled upon this so I can see how this progresses. 

I'm still a bit confused if any grinding of the BE is needed for it to fit or if its just the Surge pivot that's needed or both  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 06:49:44 PM
I spent the better part of last night looking at Metros Wave mod with BE.  I'm glad I stumbled upon this so I can see how this progresses. 

I'm still a bit confused if any grinding of the BE is needed for it to fit or if its just the Surge pivot that's needed or both  :think:.

if I remember correctly, Metro thinned out his BE because he was originally installing it in a Charge. (He also thinned out the titanium handle scale.)

I have not thinned my BE at all, partly because I'm not going to attempt this with a Charge, and also because it would be extremely difficult to evenly thin the BE using a Dremel, which is what I have to work with. ;) The Surge pivot is definitely needed though.

that being said, I still need to figure something out, because there's a lot of tension/friction on the BE and it's difficult to open. it's still perfectly usable, but I want it to open/close as smoothly as the other tools. :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 12:15:09 AM

I'm still a bit confused if any grinding of the BE is needed for it to fit or if its just the Surge pivot that's needed or both  :think:.

if I remember correctly, Metro thinned out his BE because he was originally installing it in a Charge. (He also thinned out the titanium handle scale.)

I have not thinned my BE at all, partly because I'm not going to attempt this with a Charge, and also because it would be extremely difficult to evenly thin the BE using a Dremel, which is what I have to work with. ;) The Surge pivot is definitely needed though.

that being said, I still need to figure something out, because there's a lot of tension/friction on the BE and it's difficult to open. it's still perfectly usable, but I want it to open/close as smoothly as the other tools. :)

I'm pretty sure he didn't thin out the BE.

Blade Exchanger

Yes! You read right, a blade exchanger (BE). I've always said it couldn't be done, but somehow I did it. Taking the blade exchanger from a Surge, the small part was carefully shaped and the locking surface mated with the smaller liner lock.

This was the easy part. The BE is quite thick and needs room to move and separate to replace the blades. This was a challenge, but thanks to the thick Ti scales, material could be removed to make room for it. A whole 1mm was milled off, and a little lip was left to make sure the scale properly when buttoned up.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:44 PM
I was originally going to wait until it was completely finished, but I couldn't resist sharing this one with you guys. :D

Ever since Metro showed us the Master & Commander, I've been wanting to try fitting a Blade Exchanger into a Wave/Charge. I knew it would be a challenge using only a Dremel and some hand files, but I figured it was worth a shot. ;)

to start with, a public service announcement: be wary of buying tools on ebay listed as having "some light rust spots, but otherwise in great condition." :facepalm:

(Image removed from quote.)

a couple hours and plenty of elbow grease later, I had the donor Surge parts all cleaned up, especially the all-important Blade Exchanger. :)

a few months later, I finally got around to starting on the mod. :facepalm: as with any Dremel/grinding work, slow & steady is the key... and I'm happy with this one. :) I used a reinforced cutting wheel to carefully cut out the section needed for the BE, then used a carbide bit to run along the edges and smooth them out a little bit. after that was a hand file (the diamond file on another LM Wave, actually), and finally some fine grit sandpaper to finish it off. the result is a nice smooth line that has zero chance of cutting the user's hand. ;)

I've been using a lot of Wingman scissors lately, so I decided to branch out and give the infamous 91mm Vic scissors a try on this one. :tu:

however, I got a little Dremel-happy and ground off just a hair too much, so the lockup isn't quite as nice as I'd like it to be. :-\ I haven't decided if I'm going to switch to Wingman scissors or sacrifice another SAK.

anyway, here's what it looks like at this point. I found some 3.25" jigsaw blades at Harbor Freight that fit into the Wave frame perfectly, so that adds some flexibility to the tool's loadout.

and yes, I realize that the pivots don't match. I still need to trim the other Surge pivot, but I wanted to get the tool put together for the pics. I'm going to disassemble the whole thing and send the handles in for Cerakoting to cover up the spots where the Dremel slipped just for fun. :D I'm planning on a two-tone look, with black handles and SS tools.

I'm also going to use this one as sort of a test platform. some ideas I want to try:
  • grinding the large flat driver into a chisel and/or light-duty pry bar
  • replacing the can opener with a Vic combo tool
  • replacing the large flat driver with the Wingman package opener (need to find the right spacer to go along with the package opener, since it's thinner than the flat driver)

I'll be sure to post an update with more pics once I get the handles cerakoted and make some more progress. in the meantime, feel free to add to my list of ideas to try. ;)
HOLY SMOKE !!!  :multi: :tu: :salute:

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 04:07:07 AM
Way to go Breezy!!!!!!!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch