Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evil's Little GlowPill.....

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Evil's Little GlowPill.....
on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:39 PM
Hey there, gang. After a four year hiatus, I figured what better way to take a small baby step back into the forum than with a small tiny project. This was originally part of my Elixir Project (here), but, I decided to modify it and use it as part of one of my Altoids tin projects instead.....

This is a big contrast from some of my other retina burning light projects producing many 1000's of lumens. Honestly, early on, I didn't think I'd ever have a use for moonlight modes. What I have come to realize over the years is that brighter is not always better, depending on the situation......

~ evil ~

No, not this nasty tasting fish oil pill the Dr. says I should take, the silver pill hiding behind it.....

Ah, there ya go, that's better. Size comparison to pill.....

Size comparison to a nickel.....

Modified with a water clear Nichia LED. Head filled with epoxy. Powered by 4 AG1 button cells. Runtime approx. 48 hours @ 5 lumens. Waterproof with o-ring seal. Measuring 28mm x 8mm, compared to the popular true utility nanolight which measures 36mm x 7.5mm.....

Neodymium magnet for attachment to steel surfaces. Able to tailstand. Carbon fiber spacer. Spacer was necessary because without it, the magnet pull was so strong on the batteries it made it near impossible to change them.....

Bright enough to navigate in total darkness.....

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:42:48 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Evil's Little GlowPill.....
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:42:16 PM
My only problem with those little button batteries is the price. (Plus, I haven't seen a rechargeable version of them).

Cool little pill. Why fill the head with clear epoxy? :think:

us Offline evil510

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:46:06 PM
My only problem with those little button batteries is the price. (Plus, I haven't seen a rechargeable version of them).

The price was actually a good part of this mod. Bought in bulk they're only about 5 cents each. As for the epoxy, that is to ensure it was watertight after swapping out the LED.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 06:48:00 PM

The price was actually a good part of this mod. Bought in bulk they're only about 5 cents each. As for the epoxy, that is to ensure it was watertight after swapping out the LED.....

Wow!  Amazon has them in 10 packs @ 32 cents each.  Battery Junction? 

I wondered if it was for water tightness.   No way to upgrade THAT LED.  :D ;)

us Offline evil510

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 06:57:39 PM

Wow!  Amazon has them in 10 packs @ 32 cents each.  Battery Junction? 

I wondered if it was for water tightness.   No way to upgrade THAT LED.  :D ;)
See, the batteries are cheap, lol. Sony's on eBay, depending on quantity, go as low as 2 cents each. A plus is that these are the same cells I am using in Project Skeletool and in the Urban Trekker Project.....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:03:00 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 08:00:25 PM
Very impressive! :tu:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 08:02:24 PM
Cool little torch evil  :salute: i did one a while ago but lost it  :facepalm: button batteries are cheap on ebay as well,i get loads as always fixing my work colleagues fob watches  :D

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:41:24 PM
Nice stickers mate.  :tu:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 05:29:21 AM
Looks good! Reminds me of a silver nano-light.

Except its probably much more reliable than a nanolight. They just never seem to have a good connection.

Looks like I'm FINALLY not the only one here who can solve a Rubiks Cube too!

us Offline evil510

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 07:13:30 AM
Very impressive! :tu:
Thank you, Grathr.....

Cool little torch evil  :salute: i did one a while ago but lost it  :facepalm: button batteries are cheap on ebay as well,i get loads as always fixing my work colleagues fob watches  :D
Thank you, Zed. If you ever find yours, I'd love to see it. As cheap as these types of batteries are, I always have many on hand as well.....

Nice stickers mate.  :tu:
Ah, if you are referring to my cube, that is one of my speedcubes. This particular one is an Evil modified Dayan Zhanchi with a Cubesmith sticker set. It's crazy fast.....

Looks good! Reminds me of a silver nano-light. Except its probably much more reliable than a nanolight. They just never seem to have a good connection. Looks like I'm FINALLY not the only one here who can solve a Rubiks Cube too!
Thanks, NKlamerus. I actually use this light a lot more than I would have ever thought. The magnetic base made all of the difference in the world and made it all the more useful to me. When I was in jr. high, I won state champ for cubing. Stopped for over 25 years. When I got back into cubing I was amazed to see there were actual "speedcubes". Those were nonexistent back in the day. In case you're wondering, I mod those too.....  ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:46:09 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 08:04:09 AM

Looks good! Reminds me of a silver nano-light. Except its probably much more reliable than a nanolight. They just never seem to have a good connection. Looks like I'm FINALLY not the only one here who can solve a Rubiks Cube too!
Thanks, NKlamerus. I actually use this light a lot more than I would have ever thought. The magnetic base made all of the difference in the world and made it all the more useful to me. When I was in jr. high, I won state champ for cubing. Stopped for over 25 years. When I got back into cubing I was amazed to see there were actual "speedcubes". Those were nonexistent back in the day. In case you're wondering, I mod those too.....  ;)

I believe that.  For me, a lot of times a headlamp is better than a flashlight because I can get the light where I want with both hands free.  The only problem is losing the light when I turn my head.  If it's not a headlamp, then one of my standard criteria for a light is, "How comfortable is it to hold in my teeth?"  Magnetic base for the win!

us Offline evil510

Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:07 AM
I believe that.  For me, a lot of times a headlamp is better than a flashlight because I can get the light where I want with both hands free.  The only problem is losing the light when I turn my head.  If it's not a headlamp, then one of my standard criteria for a light is, "How comfortable is it to hold in my teeth?"  Magnetic base for the win!
Your timing is perfect. I just ended my day from doing a repair on my work van. I use my headlamp (modded, of course lol) all of the time as my first choice of light, especially when working on vehicles. I also used my modded aaa light with the toothgrip as well as stuck onto the firewall as a constant sourch of light for the work area thanks to the magnet I added to it. No other light I have would have fit or served this purpose any better. All of my smaller lights have magnets. The cool thing about my GlowPill is that it is stored in its tin, so there's always a weighted base to serve as a stand for a nightlight. It is very comfortable to use it with the toothgrip as well, you barely even know its there. That said, I shudder at the thought knowing this one literally could be swallowed if someone came up from behind and startled me, lol.....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:53:09 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:11:36 AM

Just don't swallow the flashlight. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 10:28:56 AM

Except its probably much more reliable than a nanolight. They just never seem to have a good connection.

Finally? Don't make me laugh. eddie and I have been holding the fort.  :P

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 11:41:59 AM
Hey there, gang. After a four year hiatus, I figured what better way to take a small baby step back into the forum than with a small tiny project. This was originally part of my Elixir Project (here), but, I decided to modify it and use it as part of one of my Altoids tin projects instead.....

This is a big contrast from some of my other retina burning light projects producing many 1000's of lumens. Honestly, early on, I didn't think I'd ever have a use for moonlight modes. What I have come to realize over the years is that brighter is not always better, depending on the situation......

~ evil ~

Modified with a water clear Nichia LED. Head filled with epoxy. Powered by 4 AG1 button cells. Runtime approx. 48 hours @ 5 lumens. Waterproof with o-ring seal. Measuring 28mm x 8mm, compared to the popular true utility nanolight which measures 36mm x 7.5mm.....

Neodymium magnet for attachment to steel surfaces. Able to tailstand. Carbon fiber spacer. Spacer was necessary because without it, the magnet pull was so strong on the batteries it made it near impossible to change them.....

:salute: :tu: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 11:45:29 AM

Finally? Don't make me laugh. eddie and I have been holding the fort.  :P

Hey! I can do it, too! It just takes me some time reassembling all the pieces but I can do it!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline evil510

Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 02:08:21 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
Just don't swallow the flashlight. 8)
lol, I was actually thinking of that part of the Matrix when I first posted.....

:salute: :tu:
Thank you, pfrsantos.....

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69