Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I carry a OHO Folder along with my SAK.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Why I carry a OHO Folder along with my SAK.
on: February 20, 2015, 05:51:44 AM
I'll get straight to it,

I carry a folder almost everyday along with the SAK of the day.  A typical carry would be my Tenacious and Deluxe Tinker for work day.  I'll carry my Native and Explorer Plus or OC Farmer on off days when I'm running around town.  If I'm just hanging around the house then more often than not it's my Swisschamp so even if I have to make a quick run I'm more than covered.

I picked up a great little neck knife ( CRKT Minimalist ) that has seen action on my work days and my off days while around the house.  What a terrific little blade and very convenient.

I work off ladders and tend to have one hand busy just when I need a knife.  The SAK just doesn't cut it in these scenarios so my neck knife or OHO folder are what I reach for.  There are times at work when I've needed to give my blade to a helper to make a cut while both my hands were occupied.  Having someone reach into my pocket for my SAK ( yes I know  :rofl: ) is not gonna happen, so my folder clipped to my back pocket or better yet my little necker is a better option.

I love my SAKs and carry them and use them often both at work and at home.  I don't often need a OHO at home so a SAK it is, but at work I find myself using a OHO or necker more. 

I tend to use my SAK more in public spaces or while out in the "open", not because people will freak out but because I like using it. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: Why I carry a OHO Folder along with my SAK.
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:25:29 PM
I hear this a lot, and it must be a YMMV situation. Somehow in my life, I've never been in a situation where I could not open a slip joint pocket knife. That included time spent in the army as a combat construction engineer, a civilian police officer, carpenter, House painter, and machinist. As an engineer and later a carpenter, I've spent time on ladders, and somehow my SAK of the day or other traditional pocketknife was used without falling off the ladder.

Okay, let me correct that; Ihave been in a situation where I could not open a pocket knife. My left hand was operated on years ago for a tendon problem, and for about a week it was wrapped in enough bandages to make an Egyptian mummy. When I got the stitches out, I was fine. Meanwhile I just carried a small sheath knife on my right hip. Problem solved.

It's okay to like the modern one hand knife, but somehow I've blundered through life without.

YMMV.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gb Online Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:45:38 PM
I like OHO but because of the laws over here its just not practical to carry one everyday as even my orange UKPK would likely get me in trouble :(

I'm quite happy with 2HO to be honest as if anything it gives you a bit more thinking time about what your planing to cut. And sad to say I actually enjoy opening sak  blades anyway :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:16:48 PM
OHO knives are a thing of convenience. Same as Aloha I prefer to use my SAKs. However in the past there was a certain need for OHO knives since anything that required 2 hands also meant either carrying the blade open or doing very awkward movements that prolonged the process
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:29:45 PM
I like OHO but because of the laws over here its just not practical to carry one everyday as even my orange UKPK would likely get me in trouble :(

I'm quite happy with 2HO to be honest as if anything it gives you a bit more thinking time about what your planing to cut. And sad to say I actually enjoy opening sak  blades anyway :)

You must just look particularly dodgy Mike  :pok: :P

I carry OHO knives quite frequently, and so far have not had an issue. I did have an officer query my Wings Slipit a few months back, but not only did I know the copper in question, I also demonstrated that it was UK legal and that I knew more about knife law than he did :D He has since been back in touch with me for advice for a knife for him whilst on duty.

I do choose the knife based on where I expect to be and what onlookers there are. I have several UK legal OHO clipped folders which rank at different levels on the granny scarer scale. There are days though (like today) when I don't think OHO is appropriate, and just carry a SAK.

I would say that I don't NEED one hand opening all the time, but I do like the convenience, and it can make things safer in certain circumstances

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:21:25 PM
I like the OHO blades and form time to time they are convenient but I don't really need them.  :multi:

Besides, OHO knives look far to aggressive to the rest of humanity.  :(
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gb Online Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:08:28 PM

You must just look particularly dodgy Mike  ok:

I carry OHO knives quite frequently, and so far have not had an issue. I did have an officer query my Wings Slipit a few months back, but not only did I know the copper in question, I also demonstrated that it was UK legal and that I knew more about knife law than he did :D He has since been back in touch with me for advice for a knife for him whilst on duty.

I do choose the knife based on where I expect to be and what onlookers there are. I have several UK legal OHO clipped folders which rank at different levels on the granny scarer scale. There are days though (like today) when I don't think OHO is appropriate, and just carry a SAK.

I would say that I don't NEED one hand opening all the time, but I do like the convenience, and it can make things safer in certain circumstances
Your not the first to say that mate
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 09:14:11 PM
I'll get straight to it,

I carry a folder almost everyday along with the SAK of the day.  A typical carry would be my Tenacious and Deluxe Tinker for work day.  I'll carry my Native and Explorer Plus or OC Farmer on off days when I'm running around town.  If I'm just hanging around the house then more often than not it's my Swisschamp so even if I have to make a quick run I'm more than covered.

I picked up a great little neck knife ( CRKT Minimalist ) that has seen action on my work days and my off days while around the house.  What a terrific little blade and very convenient.

I work off ladders and tend to have one hand busy just when I need a knife.  The SAK just doesn't cut it in these scenarios so my neck knife or OHO folder are what I reach for.  There are times at work when I've needed to give my blade to a helper to make a cut while both my hands were occupied.  Having someone reach into my pocket for my SAK ( yes I know  :rofl: ) is not gonna happen, so my folder clipped to my back pocket or better yet my little necker is a better option.

I love my SAKs and carry them and use them often both at work and at home.  I don't often need a OHO at home so a SAK it is, but at work I find myself using a OHO or necker more. 

I tend to use my SAK more in public spaces or while out in the "open", not because people will freak out but because I like using it.

Sounds perfectly sensible and reasonable to me :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%