Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replacing Crunch knife with something else?

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

on: February 21, 2015, 04:19:02 PM
Hi all, this is my first post here. I've been looking at modifying my crunch for a while now and all my searches take me here. I haven't had any luck on my normal forums so I figured I would come to the experts!

Here's the backstory, I have a Wave and a Crunch and wish to remove the blade from the crunch.
I want to be able to carry my crunch in places that do not allow blades, but I have communicated with and they say a multitool without a blade would be fine to carry. I have the Wave for other times, and the crunch knife is so tiny I do not feel bad removing it.

My plan is to take pictures of everything and then use a candle or heat gun to soften up the lock tite and remove the knurled screw with pliers. I think I'll replace the screws with something easier to deal with after, so I don't care if I kinda bugger them. I am okay with grinding a filing another tool to fit and lock, and don't really care what it is as long as it isn't a blade. I'm thinking a bottle opener, pen, hone, or most likely an awl.

Is there any flaws to this plan? Where do I find special screws and tools. I assume I should gut a pocket knife or something for the awl?

I really appreciate any input, thanks!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Re: Replacing Crunch knife with something else?
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 06:21:13 PM
Shawn first off welcome to the forum. You are in luck with a Crunch you buy wrenches that fit Crunch screws AKA Kick pocket clips. I have two Kicks and two Rebars with Kick pocket clips but I still bought two extra clips for wrenches. The Kick has been retired so no telling how long you will be able to buy them. If you want to make your own tools here are some links to give you ideas on making your own  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57328.0.html http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4655.0.html
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 12:22:29 AM
Keep it simple. Grind the blade down into an awl. Welcome to the forum Shawn.  :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 01:22:55 AM
Good idea from the Zman !   

Welcome aboard Shawn  :tu:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 01:44:59 AM
Welcome bud

Look forward to seeing the mods!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 03:23:44 AM
You might want to check that the places that don't allow blades will allow an awl, as some see awls as sharp, pokey things that could cause damage to flesh.  Some of the awls I have on older MTs could easily kill someone (long, thin and sharp).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 07:32:27 PM
Thanks guys! I hadn't thought of the awl being a weapon, I might go with a bottle opener or another file. My SAK file is the right thickness and has teeth like a hacksaw on it, I would like that very much.

I guess I should have stated it in the first post, but I would like to keep the knife intact to put back on if I get a different job. Also thanks for the pliers tip, I had seen the clip but not those, I might try that!

I'll keep you updated on my search for tools that fit. I'm trying to find a file from a SAK Camper

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 11:52:37 PM
I might go with a bottle opener or another file...

there's already a bottle opener on the Crunch. ;)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 01:12:10 AM
You might make a V cutter from it. Or replace it with scissors.

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 01:50:41 AM
I might go with a bottle opener or another file...

there's already a bottle opener on the Crunch. ;)

(Image removed from quote.)
Ahhhh, never notice that! I've only had the crunch for a few months and haven't needed that yet.

I really like the scissors idea too, I just need to find where to locate some. I don't have any old multitools that don't get used.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 02:00:46 AM
Ahhhh, never notice that! I've only had the crunch for a few months and haven't needed that yet.
You may not have noticed the 1/4" bit driver either (it lives where the adjustment screw goes in).  The Crunch is quite a nifty tool (my favourite MT in fact), and when you need locking pliers it really shines.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 04:41:57 AM
I have been using the hex driver actually I found that little ball detent extensions work best in them but I have yet to put together an edc driver set. I really like the leatherman branded one though

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 02:50:12 AM

I figured it out! Just use a sawzall blade and grind it to shape with an angle grinder. I will remove all paint and use a gun bluing kit on it. I'll also replace the screws with torx. I see no problems with this, but finding the right washer thickness and shape will be hard.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 11:15:49 AM
Would two sawzall blades equal Crunch blade for thickness?

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 01:35:32 PM
Just about, but the problem that keeps me from putting in 2 is the teeth have set, so the bottom is thicker and 2 would not slide over each other

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 02:07:22 PM
you might be able to find a way if you didn't put them next door to each other, but then you might have issues with them hitting other tools.

I wouldn't use an angle grinder myself, Dremel-type tol or bench grinder would be preferable.

Good luck!

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 02:07:30 PM
It appears a blade with a .05 thickness will fit
I don't think I want a kerf that thick, it just requires more effort

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 02:24:12 PM
you might be able to find a way if you didn't put them next door to each other, but then you might have issues with them hitting other tools.

I wouldn't use an angle grinder myself, Dremel-type tol or bench grinder would be preferable.

Good luck!
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that actually, I'll see what will work.

I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to get the very rough shape, then will use my 6x48 belt sander, then a dremel and files  for the rest.

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 04:25:47 AM
I ended up using a lenox blade with a .05" thickness
And using a heat gun and multiple vise grips and vises on a vise grip multitool I got the knurled barrel screws off.

I was able to slide a screwdriver through and avoid messing up spacers.
 After positioning it on the blade so that the teeth aligned and the smooth part was on solid, I clamped and traced the shape with a sharp knife. Using a blade to mark a blade on a blade. Notice a pattern haha? I planned on using the 11 amp angle grinder to hack to size then belt sand the rest. My brother had the grinder so I used my dremel with a cutoff wheel and followed the line. another reason why the panavise rocks for small work
Where I'm currently at after 15 min

Offline nja4k

Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 10:40:51 PM
Looking good so far

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 12:23:03 AM
Good work Shawn. IMO the blade could have been flipped to cut on the pull. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 05:10:16 AM
Thanks! I tried cutting a piece of angle steel on the pull and the push, and found that in order to get the teeth to grab on a low TPI saw a push worked better. On fine tooth a pull worked better. I'll see how it works out though

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 03:06:20 AM

Here is the finished prototype. I slightly messed up the lock detent but it functions fine. I ended up not liking the push cut, and it looks too aggressive.  Next version will include a pull cut and finer teeth.

Where can I find the washers if I were to use a thinner blade? I don't have the skills to make them. I do have access to a laser cutter at school though...

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 04:08:06 AM

Here is the finished prototype. I slightly messed up the lock detent but it functions fine. I ended up not liking the push cut, and it looks too aggressive.  Next version will include a pull cut and finer teeth.

Where can I find the washers if I were to use a thinner blade? I don't have the skills to make them. I do have access to a laser cutter at school though...

can u made me one? i will buy it put on rebar and ST300

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 02:50:02 PM
Looks like it is coming along nicely. You could use some blade scraps to make washers. I have even plastic bottles to make spacers. I was looking at your unity knife are you flooring installer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:54:50 PM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

gb Offline Biker_Bob

Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 03:33:29 PM
Have you seen my post on modifying a Crunch for UK EDC?
I've not finished it yet but at the end I mention turning up a finger-nut which will allow me to remove the blade without tools.

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 04:07:25 PM
Have you seen my post on modifying a Crunch for UK EDC?
I've not finished it yet but at the end I mention turning up a finger-nut which will allow me to remove the blade without tools.
I have not seen that, I will definitely check it out!

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 04:59:04 PM
Looks like it is coming along nicely. You could use some blade scraps to make washers. I have even plastic bottles to make spacers. I was looking at your unity knife are you flooring installer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plastic sounds easy and smooth, I might try that.

I love the Stanley fixed blades for shop work, but I am a high school student. I've done some carpet work and can appreciate the difference between those and the sliders.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:01:25 PM by Shawn Cimonetti »

Offline Shawn Cimonetti

Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 11:34:00 PM
I finished up the mod, but I plan on doing a final version that is perfect and cuts on the pull. I used brake cleaner and to my surprise it stripped all the paint off.
It works fine though
After following my tracing lines perfectly, it wasn't anywhere near fitting proper. After about an hour of filing, testing and putting on the finishing touches it worked!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:39:22 PM by Shawn Cimonetti »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 12:07:35 AM
Great job  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24