Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help for a 6 hour endurance race

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Help for a 6 hour endurance race
on: February 23, 2015, 02:29:34 AM
So I've committed to doing a very demanding 6 hour mountain bike endurance race, AWESOME!! I'm completely pumped about it and already feeling the butterflies just thinking about it. But I have one big concern that I'm not entirely sure how to take care of.

I've always been active, different sports and outdoor activities constantly. The one thing I've yet to do is take part of something that is high intensity and long distance. I'm usually one or the other, so my problem comes down to the fact that I really don't know how to properly keep myself fueled so I don't hit the wall.

Any advice?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Help for a 6 hour endurance race
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:03:18 AM
I'm no expert but the first thought that comes to mind is Complex Carbs. Bread and pasta. But try to limit creams.

I also know joggers, including the ones in high school, would always take pepto bismol before running. Even if they didn't eat, an empty stomach or a full one churning during every stride will not help you continue.

Do you take any supplements? Or stimulants?

(Caffiene, B12, Protien, Beta Alenine, Creatine, etc...)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:08:51 AM
I'm not really able to help, but one suggestion I can throw your way is to look into bringing a Cliff bar with you. I recently read they are terrible for you to just eat, but are great for a meal replacement or if you are going to be doing something like a marathon. Something to look into. I'm not sure if this will help you at all, but figured I would at least put it out their for you to look into.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:31:53 AM
Guiness
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:34:21 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:49:01 AM
When I used to do long rides of about 60 miles, I practically lived on flap jacks :D

There's plenty of advice in magazines and proper cycling specific snacks too, you could read up on. Best advice I have is eat little and often, like they do on the Tour :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:38:56 AM
Just focus on the cyclist in front of you and work through the pain...

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:43:19 AM
I taped a packet of these http://guenergy.com/shop/chomps to each arm when I have run a marathon. Watermelon is my favourite flavour.
I would take some sort of nut mix too.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:48:21 AM
You have to get used to what YOU need on a long ride.  I'm guessing it's not for a while, so you've got time to train for both the time and intensity that you'll be riding at in the race.  Use your training rides to test food, drink and equipment as well as building pace and stamina.  You might find that you prefer 'real' food over gels and energy drink, for example.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 10:38:01 AM
You have to get used to what YOU need on a long ride.  I'm guessing it's not for a while, so you've got time to train for both the time and intensity that you'll be riding at in the race.  Use your training rides to test food, drink and equipment as well as building pace and stamina.  You might find that you prefer 'real' food over gels and energy drink, for example.

^This. On my first marathon I had a gel which I had never tried before. It was sickly sweet and went right through me. 10 minutes or so of my race time was spent in a portaloo.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 11:08:10 AM
I'd agree with a lot of what the guys have said(oddly enough,not the Guinness though :sa: )

When i was doing 50 odd mile rides,I'd start with a carb heavy dinner the night before(pasta or whatever),breakfast of bacon and eggs,fried slice etc(protein,simple and complex carbs).

Once on the go,I'd have Mars bars,peanuts and bananas for snacking,ham and egg rolls for a meal. Hydration was the biggest secret: 2l camel pack,and two 600ml bottle of moonjuice(45%hydrotonic drink,45%isotonic drink,10%red bull). Moonjuice is seriously evil!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 11:27:15 AM
As said Carbs  :tu: i raced back in the 90's and lived on chicken and pasta,rice,and energy bars,oh and bananas  :D when i trained i did average of 70-80 mile a day as well as weights, keep well hydrated as well,sugar drinks work well on stops,and water while riding,oh i also carried fruity chews  :D good luck on your race,i did a 24hr mtb race around 1991ish,was a lot of fun and pain  :salute:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:56:16 PM by Zed »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 01:13:18 PM
Thank you guys, I really appreciate the input. I have a good amount of time to get it sorted out, race isn't until June. I've been reading up on it a bit but I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask to see if there was any first hand knowledge, which you guys have :D

Regardless it should be a blast.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:30 PM
Carb load before the race and as others have said test while training.  Eating while riding may prove some foods are easier than other to consume and also how your body reacts. Needless to say hydration is very important especially when eating some gels/gummies/bars.  Sport drinks are great but for me I tend to get ill if I drink to much so I tend to drink them early.  I'll dilute one for the middle part but mostly consume water. 

Have a blast and stay mentally tough.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 04:12:52 PM
I'd agree with a lot of what the guys have said(oddly enough,not the Guinness though :sa: )

When i was doing 50 odd mile rides,I'd start with a carb heavy dinner the night before(pasta or whatever),breakfast of bacon and eggs,fried slice etc(protein,simple and complex carbs).

Once on the go,I'd have Mars bars,peanuts and bananas for snacking,ham and egg rolls for a meal. Hydration was the biggest secret: 2l camel pack,and two 600ml bottle of moonjuice(45%hydrotonic drink,45%isotonic drink,10%red bull). Moonjuice is seriously evil!
Is that the only Name for it?? Sounds interesting.

Reminds of a Divers "Jive"

Which is practically OJ and a disclosed liquid. Suppose to replenish the body once you get up from 50+ ft and back to the deck.

***Google rocks
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/nutrition-think-drink-14197/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:37:03 PM by NKlamerus »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 04:43:03 PM
Moonjuice used to be a name for non-standard fuel mixes when my dad was racing bikes. I've a general rule against stuff like Red Bull...it just isn't healthy what that stuff can do,but,on race day,anything that can help....
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%