Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weird little camp shovel multi-tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Weird little camp shovel multi-tool.
on: February 23, 2015, 04:57:00 PM
I found this at the local Tractor Supply Store (TSC). I bought it simply because it has an axe attachment. Having quite a few folding shovels, this was the first I have seen personally with an axe attachment.

It is one of those small style shovels designed to fit on your belt. Nothing much bigger than a trowel in many respects. This one does not feature an extendable handle. What you see is what you get.

Just to figure out the size, here is the smallish camp shovel next to a Umarex Buckmark air pistol.

The sheath comes with another compartment that holds the axe head. Now the retention mechanism is a single spring loaded metal button. Depress the button to take the shovel head off, and snap the axe head on. The Axe head also has a stout metal piece wrapped around on the back end, making it perfect to hammer in tent pegs, etc...

Of course, everything is in OD green...to make it easier to lose in the wilderness.

After reading the small label on the handle, it mentioned a camp saw. What saw?  :think:

Upon closer inspection, I noticed a saw blade hidden in the handle. It took me a little while to figure out how to extricate the saw...seeing that it is a one piece build that comprises the spring loaded locking button. Depress said button until you can pull out the blade. Turn the blade around and re-snap it back into place. Now you have a very good sized if wobbly wood saw.

Man, talk about being stoked lol. I think I need to get out more. The non extendable handle is wrapped with some cheap rubber grip that gets caught in the sheath every time you put it in or take it out...especially on that lip.

To also add to the difficulties of extricating and placing this camp multi-tool back in its sheath, there is a bottle opener function on the shovel that likes to get hanged on one side of the sheath. Furthermore, you can't stow the tool as an axe, as the sheath is not designed for that...let alone in the wood saw configuration. On the bonus side of things, it doesn't take long to change your tool load-out.

Overall, not a bad little camp multi-tool. The down sides are numerous...but nothing that is a deal breaker here other than the spring loaded button locking mechanism which to me doesn't look very durable. It also has the side effect of making this tool rattle something fierce whenever you have the axe or the shovel installed. On the other hand, it is compact, and offers you a shovel, axe, and saw that you can strap to your belt. Just don't expect to do big jobs with this little fella. :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:59:44 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Re: Weird little camp shovel multi-tool.
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:31:22 PM
Interesting tool. Any idea what it weighs? I'm looking for something similar for when I'm motorcycle camping. At least, I think I am...
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:19:39 PM
Just weighed it for you.

890 grams or 1 lb 15 oz.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:28:00 PM
I've had this one (minus the saw part) for about 10 years now. Used it when camping and such for digging No.2 holes ;) and various other tasks. The hammer portion of the axe works OK for hammering tent pegs into hard ground and the cutout works good for pulling them out but the "sharp" part of the axe is a joke. Very bad. The button release started giving me trouble some time last year though, hard to disengage if you want to change implements.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:42:54 PM
I found a few in shop's box a few months ago. I nearly got one, but after checking several I was just not impressed with the overall quality. They are cheap,but they did not look like a serious tool. Maybe next time, as enki says they work OK.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:13:28 PM

Just weighed it for you.

890 grams or 1 lb 15 oz.

Thanks! That's probably lighter than carrying 3 separate tools. For the amount of use I give it, I'm sure it will be fine. It's worth a detour to TSC.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:33:01 PM
That looks like a not so bad little carry, for like backpack camping or the trunk..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 04:02:25 PM
So many of these out there now.
Tried using the SOG Entrenching tool the other day. It was alright.
Looking forward to taking it along to camp this year.

-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 12:41:09 PM
We also used the Gerber folding shovel that day. Unfortunately I left the Cold Steel Spetznaz ninja death monger 2000 shovel at home or we would have done a proper shootout.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%