Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Use your gear at least once guys and gals.

Aloha · 42 · 2451

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Use your gear at least once guys and gals.
on: February 25, 2015, 06:52:04 PM
I was having a chat with someone recently about gear and was surprised te hear they hadn't actually used most of theirs.  I recall posting something along the lines of the importance of using and testing your gear rather than just storing it in BOBs, 72 hours bags, Escape and Evade bags, SHTF bags and any other names for gear bags.

This person has bought a lot of gear mostly based off reviews and research.  This is a great way to decide but has getting that gear in hand and using IMO is the next step.  What works for some or many might not work for others.  We all know this far to well when a new member comes on board to ask which SAK, light, MT, knife, or whatever is best. 

I'm all for leaning towards gear that has great reviews and a strong following.  If it's gonna be a piece of gear that I will possibly have to rely on at some point then I will put it thru some usage before I commit it to a particular set up. 

Yes I have gear that sees no usage however that gear is not committed to such not will ever be.  I have very few pieces of gear that I rely on while others are simply for the joy of ownership.  This being said I was surprised this guy's "BAG" was stuffed with unused and un tested gear that he committed to "needing" one day.

Guys I'm no expert nor professional but please use and test your gear.  If it works for others it's quite possibly because they have not only researched it but have had ample time using it as well.

Rant over.           
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Use your gear at least once guys and gals.
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:57:45 PM
I hate that too

Please feel free to send me all your unused gear.

I'll put it to work  :salute:
Defend the Hive!!!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 07:02:19 PM
Yeah, I agree. I have bought lots of various lights, MTs and wallets since I got into EDC, but I later sold most of it. What I learned is that I do not need big EDC items. I need them as small as possible so that I can carry them easily. I don't need huge knives, pliers, lights. If it's about lights, I often need to be able to hold htem in my mouth, so ...  so yeah. Working with your stuff always helps you see if you really can put it to use or not.

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:05:59 PM
How can anyone know the performance of something if it isn't used. No matter the reviews, items you depend on are also very personal
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:08:04 PM
Having stuff and not using it is extremely common though, the number of people you see round the UK with a 4x4 that have never and will never use the fact it has more things to go wrong and drink fuel is silly. What benefit something like a Qashqai is over a more traditional big car I have no idea.

I'm not saying 4x4s are at all bad, I own one, but I have at least used low range, the diff lock and gone through mud.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 07:15:19 PM
How can anyone know the performance of something if it isn't used. No matter the reviews, items you depend on are also very personal

Reviews are for me a starting point.  I don't fall into the "strong following" of a item either unless I've had time with that item.  I guess since it worked for one guy some feel it's good enough for them.  What I find odd is the commitment of it to a kit that will possibly be relied upon at some point. 

I told the guy it's like buying a firearm off reviews and never shooting it then ending up in a situation and being surprised how it handles in real life.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 07:28:29 PM
I use all my stuff,i find it hard having mt's /sak's sitting in a box,ok yes i have but i rotate all my gear,my hardest thing was retiring my og wave recently,i mean its just sitting there doing nothing  :ahhh but its time too retire  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:42:43 PM
I use all my stuff,i find it hard having mt's /sak's sitting in a box,ok yes i have but i rotate all my gear,my hardest thing was retiring my og wave recently,i mean its just sitting there doing nothing  :ahhh but its time too retire  :tu:

I guess its different if you know personally how something performs and buying a duplicate for a kit.  I'm referring to more of a piece of gear that was bought solely off a review or because it has a strong following yet the buyer has no actual usage and puts it into a kit. 

I have tools that will never be used and were bought for the sole purpose of ownership.  The gear I buy that has an intended purpose must be vetted if it's to make the cut and be a part of a designated kit. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:55:50 PM
Like you said, there are some tools you buy for collecting purposes, or retire to collecting duty.  But as for tools to stash for "in-case" use, definitely need to use them at point.

I don't keep kits or BOBs really, but I do like having a bigger MT (Surge, ST300) in each car, and some kind of MT in my jacket.  But even for these, I rotate tools in and out of duty.  After using a tool for a while, I know I can trust it for "in-case" duty and swap in something else.  This is proving a better use of tools than my last method, which was to horde them all in my closet and use them all randomly.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:58:33 PM
But if I use my tools they will get dirty and maybe chipped or something?!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 08:03:43 PM
Like you said, there are some tools you buy for collecting purposes, or retire to collecting duty.  But as for tools to stash for "in-case" use, definitely need to use them at point.

I don't keep kits or BOBs really, but I do like having a bigger MT (Surge, ST300) in each car, and some kind of MT in my jacket.  But even for these, I rotate tools in and out of duty.  After using a tool for a while, I know I can trust it for "in-case" duty and swap in something else.  This is proving a better use of tools than my last method, which was to horde them all in my closet and use them all randomly.

Exactly how it should be done. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 08:06:28 PM

Exactly how it should be done.

Thanks, I thought so too   :D :P

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 08:10:09 PM

Reviews are for me a starting point.  I don't fall into the "strong following" of a item either unless I've had time with that item.  I guess since it worked for one guy some feel it's good enough for them.  What I find odd is the commitment of it to a kit that will possibly be relied upon at some point. 

I told the guy it's like buying a firearm off reviews and never shooting it then ending up in a situation and being surprised how it handles in real life.

Knowledge of how to use something is worth more than the implement itself. So you're right
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 08:12:34 PM

EDC has really become a sub set of mens fashion.  I have no problem with that at all since there are some guys and gals who would have never thought to carry a tool everyday and have found its pretty freaking handy.  I also realize there are levels of financial ability so some can afford to buy and stash "good gear" in all sorts of bags.  Even in that scenario I would argue one should get to know ones gear. 

No one says you can't have well maintained tools or gear but seriously when I see guys who say their tools are "hard working" or "beaters" and they dont have flipping wear marks  :think:

Trashing your gear is one thing and I'm certainly not saying beat the crap out of your stuff or not maintain it.  I'm simply advising getting to know how your gear works and how you feel using it.

Again I have stuff that's not for any intended use and the stuff I do use has over time has inevitably developed wear.  I learned a long time ago that keeping your gear clean allows you to assess wear.  When the gear is cleaned and maintained you can see the wear and will be able to decide if it needs service or replacement. 

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 08:20:44 PM
I do watch youtube reviews and have had stuff because of these reviews ,but most of my stuff comes from reading reviews on mto,or from being kindly given stuff  :salute: probably one of my treasured is the swisschamp that taxidad gave me, :salute:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 08:22:30 PM

Dang! Now my tool is dirty. Better buy a new one.   :whistle:

LOL. I think it all depends on how much gear you have. If you only have one piece, you have to use that piece. If you have dozens, well, some may never get used. The right gear for a  job also plays a role. When I need pliers, my Spirit will need to step up. But when I am hiking, I got my Skeletool on me. It weighs less. And I don't have more multis to choose from. But when it comes to knives, I just have too many options, and even when I rotate between them, some will fall out of use due to favoritism or other factors. Still, what the OP says, having a BOB full of unused gear does not make a lot of sense to me. :facepalm:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 08:30:31 PM

EDC has really become a sub set of mens fashion.  I have no problem with that at all since there are some guys and gals who would have never thought to carry a tool everyday and have found its pretty freaking handy.  I also realize there are levels of financial ability so some can afford to buy and stash "good gear" in all sorts of bags.  Even in that scenario I would argue one should get to know ones gear. 

No one says you can't have well maintained tools or gear but seriously when I see guys who say their tools are "hard working" or "beaters" and they dont have flipping wear marks  :think:

Trashing your gear is one thing and I'm certainly not saying beat the crap out of your stuff or not maintain it.  I'm simply advising getting to know how your gear works and how you feel using it.

Again I have stuff that's not for any intended use and the stuff I do use has over time has inevitably developed wear.  I learned a long time ago that keeping your gear clean allows you to assess wear.  When the gear is cleaned and maintained you can see the wear and will be able to decide if it needs service or replacement. 

I don't work in construction, so average use for me is different as it is for others, but no matter what I do, I even hammered a nail in with the handle once, there are only very little wear marks on my Spirit, you almost need a magnifier to spot them. It's witchcraft I tell you! (I can't say the same on my Skeletool. It looks like its run over by a tank parade).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:31:39 PM by microbe »
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 08:33:14 PM
I dropped orange farmer yesterday and put a little chip in the finish.

I need to get a new one now.

Mother smurfer.

:rofl:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 08:35:12 PM

Dang! Now my tool is dirty. Better buy a new one.   :whistle:

LOL. I think it all depends on how much gear you have. If you only have one piece, you have to use that piece. If you have dozens, well, some may never get used. The right gear for a  job also plays a role. When I need pliers, my Spirit will need to step up. But when I am hiking, I got my Skeletool on me. It weighs less. And I don't have more multis to choose from. But when it comes to knives, I just have too many options, and even when I rotate between them, some will fall out of use due to favoritism or other factors. Still, what the OP says, having a BOB full of unused gear does not make a lot of sense to me. :facepalm:

This is a great process of deciding when one has lots of gear what gets used and what sits and looks pretty.   Having lots of gear is fine and a good problem to have its having lots of UNUSED gear that sits waiting and expecting to be called to action. 

Ok yes I agree that a knife will cut regardless if you've tested it or not so long as it was sharp to begin with.  Yes pliers will still turn most nuts and bolts without having to "break them in".  Guns still shoot and one can always pray and spray.  Eventually one can get their tent up and have shelter.  A flashlight and charged battery will illuminate. 

With no practical experience however using a slip joint beyond its capability can be dangerous.  Heck we've seen plier pivots fail from mild usage.  Have you checked your battery on the light recently, can you easily get to the mode ( Zebra  :whistle: ), In a stressful situation is your muscle memory on your firearm up to snuff?

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 08:37:26 PM
My Bob is filled with gear I've used .

I like to carry my new stuff and the old trusty stuff goes in the bag.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 08:38:12 PM

I don't work in construction, so average use for me is different as it is for others, but no matter what I do, I even hammered a nail in with the handle once, there are only very little wear marks on my Spirit, you almost need a magnifier to spot them. It's witchcraft I tell you! (I can't say the same on my Skeletool. It looks like its run over by a tank parade).

Wear is relative and I can attest to the wizardry of the Swisstool not showing much even after much usage.

So I'll completely agree wear is not universal from one user to the next.  What Joel does to his tools vs say Average guy is gonna be quite different in terms of wear.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 08:43:16 PM
Death to shelf/BOB queens!  :viking:  I carry just about everything at least once, often much more than that.  In fact, the only tool I can think of that I own and haven't used at all is a T3 MP700 that's still in the package.  The only reason it hasn't been opened and put through its paces is that my other 700 is already designated as the user one........  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 08:45:16 PM
And above all else, if I'm spending my money on something I'd like to try to get my money's worth out of them one way or another. Even if it means going out of my way to find stuff to use it for, why not?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 08:46:34 PM
Just so you all know

I really do try to take care of my tools.

It's just sometimes I got to do jobs with them I'd rather not and they get abused.

Back to topic

If you got nice edc gear put away to never use your a idiot. It was made to be used not just looked at.

I guess may be being a bit harsh because I only buy things I plan on using. I've never had stupid money to just buy whatever
 I'd probably have 100, s of spyderco s and multitools if I did. Lol

Backups are a different story. They are there with plans on being used. 

Ok collectors are ok too. If they truly love and take care of there goodies. 
I hate seeing a collection of unused neglected tools
 It's waste.

Ok#2  they do make a few tools that were ment to be looked at and not used. Those are totally ok to drool over and keep locked up tight.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:51:58 PM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 08:47:11 PM
And above all else, if I'm spending my money on something I'd like to try to get my money's worth out of them one way or another. Even if it means going out of my way to find stuff to use it for, why not?

Minus those items designated as collector pieces  :pok: YMMV on this one. 

Great way to think Higgins  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 08:52:38 PM

Minus those items designated as collector pieces  :pok: YMMV on this one. 

Great way to think Higgins  :tu:

Okay fair lol, how about get my money's worth from their intended roles?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 09:07:42 PM
I'll come clean - I use none of my stuff except the Gerber balance, which if truth be told hasn't seen any action for ages despite being my work EDC. Yet my simple Rolson box cutter gets used continuously at work.

But I confess I'm a bit of a hoarder.
However, that's about to change as I've decided to declutter my life. I'm currently in the process of getting rid if tons of unused stuff - but not my mt/SAK collection. They will be moved into the loft later this year.

I just like to own nice things even when they see no use  - pretty weird I know!!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 09:31:47 PM
I'll come clean - I use none of my stuff except the Gerber balance, which if truth be told hasn't seen any action for ages despite being my work EDC. Yet my simple Rolson box cutter gets used continuously at work.

But I confess I'm a bit of a hoarder.
However, that's about to change as I've decided to declutter my life. I'm currently in the process of getting rid if tons of unused stuff - but not my mt/SAK collection. They will be moved into the loft later this year.

I just like to own nice things even when they see no use  - pretty weird I know!!

NOT AT ALL. 

One doesn't have to "use" art work to enjoy them.  I know some car collectors who buy, restore, then retire only to be fired up every once and a while. 

I can appreciate the collector aspect completely.  What I'm personally speaking to is gear that will someday serve a purpose yet hasn't been vetted. 

Sure knifes cut regardless if you've tested it or not.  Pliers will turns nuts and bolts without actually having used them.  Flashlights will work with a charged cell.

We have seen however pliers fail with little to light usage, and lights not easily managed due to complicated UI.  Using a slip joint in some scenarios can be dangerous, what about muscle memory when using a firearm? 

I see it as simply as if you are going to put a knife in a bag for example them please use the knife around the house or test the knife for what you think it might be used for, same goes for other gear that has a designated purpose other than collection.   

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 11:07:03 PM
I guess each to there own,but i dont see mt's /sak's as art but as tools to be used,but then i cant stand seeing stuff hidden away  :D no shelf Queens in my house  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 02:50:45 PM
I make no apologies for being a collector.

I make no apologies for having plenty of shelf queens.

I also make no apologies for sharing my collection freely online for others to enjoy it. I think it is important to be able to somewhat catalogue the variety out there, and to possibly better inform others about the breath and wealth of models that exist.

I also make no apologies for being able to compare, fondle, and yes, use them when and how I see fit. By now I know what I like and what I do not like in a multi-tool. I have EDCed many different models in the past to find out what I like and dislike. I know I am quite fortunate in being able to do this.

But I digress. Folks come here as users, collectors, and everything in between. No need to insult folks that may or may not have the same viewpoints on multi-tools that you may have.

Thank you for your time.  :D

EDIT: Not directed to the OP or the original message. I quite agree with Aloha007.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:55:02 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79