Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Use your gear at least once guys and gals.

Aloha · 42 · 2451

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Use your gear at least once guys and gals.
Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 04:44:16 PM
I know my fellow Mto-ers know what I was and am referring to and Chako you never need to apologize to anyone for your generosity.

I dont have a BOB nor do I have any feelings about them.  I am a live and let live, do what you will sort of guy.     

I am also a firm believer that if you pack items away for the "just in case" then please make sure you know what you have.  Try it, open the package and fiddle with it, use it a few times, get to know the item that'll be stored away for an emergency. 

I have an Evacuation plan and related items for the inevitable fires we experience here in SoCal.  This preparedness is also related to earthquakes that have happened and we could experience in my area.  I don't have a bag with tools and gear that'll help me survive in woods for months nor do I have a bug out location. 

I have what most would pack for a weeks trip ( think vacation ) with some additional items that are camping related.  I see so many people spend so much money and in some cases get in over their heads with this prepping thing.  If you buy gear that you plan on using in any situation then I strongly suggest you try that gear out.  I'm suggesting you see how that gear works for you or if it does. 

Collecting MTs, SAKs, Coins, heck whatever you collect isnt related to what my post is about.

I have tools that will never be used, they were bought for the pure enjoyment of ownership.  I can relate to those who do the same, heck I have 16 cast iron skillets and 6 coleman stoves that were bought because I like them.  No harm in collecting things you enjoy. 

And Chako I didn't feel like your post was directed at me in any way  :salute:     
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 05:21:26 PM
I hope i didnt offend you chako  :-\ wasnt my intention, hey i do collect stuff that does live in my boxes,my problem is i find it hard to resist using sak's and mt's ,because they are tools,but hey thats just me,if i had the money to have doubles then i would have a different view  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 05:23:21 PM
Having stuff and not using it is extremely common though, the number of people you see round the UK with a 4x4 that have never and will never use the fact it has more things to go wrong and drink fuel is silly. What benefit something like a Qashqai is over a more traditional big car I have no idea.

I'm not saying 4x4s are at all bad, I own one, but I have at least used low range, the diff lock and gone through mud.

Your front lawn doesn't count...
 :pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 05:55:46 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to step on anyone's tail. I just didn't appreciate being called, or lumped in as an idiot for collecting tools is all. In hindsight, I am certain the comment wasn't meant to be taken as it was, or stated in such manner.

MT.O has a broad range of members who flock to this forum for a myriad of reasons. I think there is room for everyone here. Just wanted to state my opinion...something I am sure I have no fault in doing...which I shall apologize for...its the Canadian thing to do you know. :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 07:22:57 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to step on anyone's tail. I just didn't appreciate being called, or lumped in as an idiot for collecting tools is all. In hindsight, I am certain the comment wasn't meant to be taken as it was, or stated in such manner.

MT.O has a broad range of members who flock to this forum for a myriad of reasons. I think there is room for everyone here. Just wanted to state my opinion...something I am sure I have no fault in doing...which I shall apologize for...its the Canadian thing to do you know. :D

:salute: mine was also just my humble opinion, we are all different,thats what makes MTO such a great place,i mean without seeing your great collections i wouldnt lust after more sak's and mt's  :D

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:16 PM
Designers (hello, I am one of them) would sit in a nice air conditioned office, come up with products (design) which would perform flawlessly in an ideal (projected) environment and condition.

Users shall field test the product in real world before coming to a conclusion. 
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 08:18:50 PM
No worries Zed, I do appreciate other opinions. Just someone in this thread called collectors idiots for having perfectly good gear wasting on a shelf unused. I though the phrasing of that specific comment could have been a tad better. :D

I know they didn't mean it as such...but please forgive me. I tend to get a little grumpy sometimes as I would rather be at work hail than off sick.  :salute:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 08:21:34 PM
No worries Zed, I do appreciate other opinions. Just someone in this thread called collectors idiots for having perfectly good gear wasting on a shelf unused. I though the phrasing of that specific comment could have been a tad better. :D

I know they didn't mean it as such...but please forgive me. I tend to get a little grumpy sometimes as I would rather be at work hail than off sick.  :salute:

no problem buddy  :salute: your not a idiot,i  :drool: over your collection regularly  :salute:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 05:00:34 PM
I think Aloha's original post is true, for equipment that someone is planning on someday using it is wise to be familiar with it - as an instructor once said to my class many years ago, "get to know your equipment before it gets to know you" and that phrase has stuck in my head ever since.

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 09:23:50 AM

Careful you might lose your Canada membership card.  :pok:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 01:20:52 PM
Want some Canadian Bacon?  :pok:  :pok:  :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 03:01:57 PM
I think Aloha's original post is true, for equipment that someone is planning on someday using it is wise to be familiar with it - as an instructor once said to my class many years ago, "get to know your equipment before it gets to know you" and that phrase has stuck in my head ever since.

Absolutely you gotta know how to use the gear, and also what gear can be trusted.  What if you can only grab one axe, what if you have many...

For the most part I dont care what people collect or use, I only take issue if poeple start recommending to others what to buy if they havent used the items.  You cant say go get this axe if you havent used one.

For example Ive used Estwing axes for the last 25 years, so I have high regard for them and have no hesitation in recommending them.   :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20