Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar/replaceable wire cutters worth it?

us Offline tallowwaters

Rebar/replaceable wire cutters worth it?
on: February 26, 2015, 03:26:50 AM
Hi folks,

So I'm reckoning on trading out my Wave pliers for the Rebar pliers, and my question is are the replaceable wire cutters worth the trouble?

I've used my Wave for 5 or 6 years now, and I've never had any issue with the current cutters.  Obviously, should I ever get carried away on hardened 6 gauge wire or so, I may need to change the wirecutters, but has anybody ever had issue with the regular non-replaceable cutters?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Rebar/replaceable wire cutters worth it?
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 09:41:36 AM
IMO yes, it is worth the trouble. I've trashed both and still use both. I rate the Rebar pliers over the Wave pliers.

il Offline dan.mandiel

• i need a surge :cry:
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:18:51 AM
Hey! Welcome to the forum! :tu:
i have a Charge tti and i have damaged my wire cutters alot and i really would like to have the replaceable cutters. That's why i have a black oxide rebar on the way :D
- Ok sir, we've found this good multitool without scissors-

-scissors.

- but sir, we figured it might not have scissors but it does have almost everything you need for a good price! -

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:29:21 AM
Oh, now there's a loaded question. ;)  I'd say it depends on what you do most of; gripping with pliers or using the cutters.  I did a review of the Rebar where I point out what I think of as a slight drawback with the pliers:

Fast forward to 1:40 if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:25:22 AM

... I did a review of the Rebar where I point out what I think of as a slight drawback with the pliers: ...

I have no axe to grind re Rebar vs. Wave pliers except my typical use benefits from the exceptional performance of the Rebar cutters on stranded copper wire.

I remember the review vid (and I've only refreshed my memory at 1:40).   ISTM that the Wave gripping section is slightly more rounded than the Rebar.  With the battery at the geometric centre the Wave cutters intrude alarmingly - and sharply.  Both pliers can securely grip an AA battery diameter offset in the grip.  Probably the Wave could offset grip a slightly larger diameter than an AA battery.

Returning to the cutters the Rebar cutters are a couple of mm longer so can make a better job of wide cable ties.  Horses for courses, mostly I do electrical work and have little experience of hard wire cutting.

P1010826.JPG
* P1010826.JPG (Filesize: 247.79 KB)
P1010827.JPG
* P1010827.JPG (Filesize: 218.46 KB)
P1010828.JPG
* P1010828.JPG (Filesize: 206.53 KB)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:27:43 AM by pingu »

us Offline tallowwaters

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 02:49:20 PM
Wow, thanks for the extensive research into the matter!  My Wave sees a wide variety of action from cutting wire, field repairs of firearms, repairing clinical lab equipment, and everything in between.  I suppose I'll plan on doing the mod, since I don't foresee the decreased points of contact on a round object affecting me terribly much. 

To fit in the Rebar pliers, I'll need to remove the scissors (replacing them with a modified awl) and the plier stop nubbins, right? 

Thanks again; this is a swell community.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 07:26:44 PM
To fit in the Rebar pliers, I'll need to remove the scissors (replacing them with a modified awl) and the plier stop nubbins, right? 

Thanks again; this is a swell community.

well, you don't have to replace the scissors... and you don't necessarily have to remove the plier rests either... :whistle:

there's lots of good info in this recent thread, and plenty of us who are willing to help if you have questions or run into problems. :salute:

us Offline tallowwaters

Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:24:05 AM

well, you don't have to replace the scissors... and you don't necessarily have to remove the plier rests either... :whistle:

there's lots of good info in this recent thread, and plenty of us who are willing to help if you have questions or run into problems. :salute:

True enough.  I guess I meant to say that seems to be one of the more conventional mods (and the one I like).  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%