Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Most Useful Moment with a Multitool

Megan · 28 · 2165

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Most Useful Moment with a Multitool
on: February 27, 2015, 04:04:32 PM
We all know that carrying a multi means we are far more useful than the average person out there.  :multi:
But what has been your most useful moment?
And what tool did you use?
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Most Useful Moment with a Multitool
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:12:38 PM
It's great to use my tools daily for work but getting to use them outside work it pretty fulfilling too.

I was at the store and a lady was having trouble with her stroller so out came my wave and voila off she goes.

A guy was fiddling with his generator when I walked up and asked could I help.  Wave came to his rescue and got him up and running.

LEO radiator hose burst on a hot summer day, he saw me working on a commercial property and asked if I had any tools.  I handed him my Wave and bit kit, shortly after he drove over to me handed me my tools and said thanks a bunch.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:39:47 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:28:52 PM
My 111mm Dual Pro had to cut a wedding-cake once, because it was the largest blade around 8)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 04:41:01 PM
My 111mm Dual Pro had to cut a wedding-cake once, because it was the largest blade around 8)

This is my favorite use of a MT.   :2tu: 
Esse Quam Videri

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 04:41:34 PM
I know I've mentioned this before, but I still think my most useful moment with a multitool, was the time I used the serrated blade on my True Utility tool, to cut a flag-line, before the flag fell down on the road, during a heavy storm.

Although, I do have to admit, the only reason that is my only example, is just because my colleagues are stubborn and refuse to borrow my multis, when they need a tool.  :whistle:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 04:47:30 PM
Well I am pretty useless even with a multitool so...  :whistle: :D

Ok, I had one exception:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55006.msg960257.html#msg960257
 :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 05:06:38 PM
I used my Wave to cut barb wire which had become hopelessly tangled around the axle of a ladies car. She had fallen asleep (or otherwise become unconscious) while driving a couple cars ahead of us and went through a fairly large ditch, crashing through the fence and continued on into a wheat field for about a hundred yards. Thankfully no injuries - in fact, her year old baby was still sound asleep in the back seat.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 08:47:03 PM
At my last job I helped get some secondhand desks we had bought. Skeletool and bitkit was essential for dismantling and reassembling as they were put together with a variety of screws. hex bolts etc which they didn't have enough tools for. Also used my van to carry a lot of the desks - my van is a multitool!

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 09:18:54 PM
I used a micra during an adventure race to cut a bandage I applied to another runner. he fell and had a pretty deep cut on his lower leg.
also years ago on a climbing trip my gerber clutch (thank you Grant!) saved the day twice when I used it to operate a gas stove with a broken knob and to fix some carainers that were in poor shape.

:multi:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 12:51:13 AM
I don't think I have a "most useful" moment, for me it's more about everyday convenience. I have installed light fittings with just my Vic Manager when my mates tool assortment proved to be pathetic, and the PST in my pocket didn't have a suitable sized driver. I've also made porthole surrounds for a barge, armed with nothing more than a drill, a bowie knife, and a multitool (I forget which one). Oh, there was the time I got locked in a friend's bathroom when the door handle fell apart. Not only did it let me escape, but fit it so it wouldn't happen again. That was a friend whose husband is a stroke victim, and there was often a few jobs needed doing when I went to visit, and again my pocket tools were better than their dedicated ones.

Hmmm.... clearing fouled propellors when out on boats, fixing boat electrics, general odd jobbery, car maintenance, garden/site work, machine and tooling jobs in factories - lots of things where dedicated tools could have been used, but weren't convenient at the time

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 12:53:33 AM
One of the first days of carrying a skeletool, we had our poulan pro shut off repeatedly. It wasn't venting.

After realizing my tool box wasn't in the truck (it was on the boat), the skeletool and Wave mounted to my center console saved the whole day.

We only needed the flatheads, but our pass would have expired and we would have been down a cord of wood!!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 04:09:47 AM
I'm not all that useful even with a multitool, and don't tend to be a heavy user.  However, I have on a few occasions been able to troubleshoot and fix small technical issues on a folding/inserting machine at work.  This has saved the trouble of having to place a service call for a technician to come in and fix it, and prevented a day or two of down time.  Other than that type of thing, it's all the little uses (for me and others that need it) that make me glad to have a MT/SAK on me at all times :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 05:28:10 AM
My coworkers knew I carried a multi tool.  They needed to cut a small dowel.  They used the saw blade on my smurfy Procase multi tool to cut the dowel.  Only time the saw ever got used.  I've used my multis many times since, that is the most memorable.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 06:20:44 AM
Oh man, I could give the best story but it's late and I'm tired so I'll make it quick.. I was 16-17 and on my way to a Dr, appointment and I had a problem with my truck(throttle cable) and I didn't have any tools except for my first Multitool, the original first Gerber multitool! Some thought it was a joke but without it I would have been screwed and stranded at my doctors. I ended up having to trash a clicky pen for the spring, and with what I had it got me to my grandparents so I could get it fixed..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 09:53:38 AM
I got a great saved the day story.

No smurf there I was on top of a hill in Afghanistan trading shots with some rather unfriendly Taliban gentlemen. Our M240 machine gun jams up badly and our gunner and assistant gunner can not get it cleared.

Luckily for all US Soldiers involved I had my trusty Leatherman Rebar affectionately known around MTO as Little Boy. Little bit of pliers and flathead screwdriver prybar work later and we are back in business.

No Americans were harmed in the making of this story.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 02:05:34 PM
Nice work Harley!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 03:24:05 PM
Nice work Harley!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
Nice indeed! :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 03:35:35 PM

No smurf there I was on top of a hill in Afghanistan trading shots with some rather unfriendly Taliban gentlemen. Our M240 machine gun jams up badly and our gunner and assistant gunner can not get it cleared.

Luckily for all US Soldiers involved I had my trusty Leatherman Rebar affectionately known around MTO as Little Boy. Little bit of pliers and flathead screwdriver prybar work later and we are back in business.

That is great to hear!  :salute:
On now only think of your commission when you sell every one of your soldiers a Rebar!  ;)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 08:33:54 PM

That is great to hear!  :salute:
On now only think of your commission when you sell every one of your soldiers a Rebar!  ;)

Good point. Looks like a win for everyone involved.

Well except for the Taliban of course.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 09:26:33 PM

Now the story I was about to share involving a toilet that wouldn't flush is just embarrasing. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:28:03 PM by Mextreme »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 02:24:12 AM

Now the story I was about to share involving a toilet that wouldn't flush is just embarrasing. Thanks.
:rofl:  :rofl:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 03:33:33 AM

Broke toilet is serious business if you ask me.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 05:51:06 AM

Broke toilet is serious business if you ask me.
Very true, but it's the "tone" of the text.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline BASguy

Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 03:04:35 PM
My OG Wave seen some heavy duty use in the aftermath of 9/11 and the cleanup of Katrina, as a traveling volunteer worker in both of those events. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 04:05:16 PM
We where driving in the classic Scania truck when the horn for low airpressure for the braking system decided to go bizzare and horn all the time. So whe stopped got the cap of with philips screw driver on the Swisstool and got the wire off it.
Saved a big headache for that 5 hour drive.
After two hours the left rear tire burst, but the leatherman could not loosen the bolt, nor could the wrench that was in the truck, after driving to the nearest truck shop they could losen the bolt by using a heavy duty impact wrench for 2 minutes. (They have to make one on a MT)

Just got to love classic stuff  ;)
Always an adventure.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 04:06:13 PM
We where driving in the classic Scania truck when the horn for low airpressure for the braking system decided to go bizzare and horn all the time. So whe stopped got the cap of with philips screw driver on the Swisstool and got the wire off it. (one of those nice sounding classic horns just like someone blows through a book.
After two hours the left rear tire burst, but the leatherman could not loosen the bolt, nor could the wrench that was in the truck, after driving to the nearest truck shop they could losen the bolt by using a heavy duty impact wrench for 2 minutes. (They have to make one on a MT)

Always an adventure.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 04:07:21 PM
We where driving in the classic Scania truck when the horn for low airpressure for the braking system decided to go bizzare and horn all the time. So whe stopped got the cap of with philips screw driver on the Swisstool and got the wire off it. (one of those nice sounding classic horns just like someone blows through a book.
After two hours one of the left rear tires burst, but the leatherman could not loosen the bolt, nor could the wrench that was in the truck, after driving to the nearest truck shop they could losen the bolt by using a heavy duty impact wrench for 2 minutes. (They have to make one on a MT)

Always an adventure.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 01:29:00 AM
I live in a city where most people will think of me as weird for carrying a SAK, let alone a MT that's considered a gimmick.

So every time I get something done because I was weird enough to carry a tool I get a slight feeling of a small triumph.

Counting things I did for others, I've used my SAK / MT to install shelves, to fix a shoe holder on the wall, to disconnect wall lights, to put holes on flower pots, to cut paper, trim threads, to open a bottle of wine for picnickers at the park who'd forgotten to bring a corkscrew along, to tighten screws on eyeglasses or my wife's suitcase's handle. I must be forgetting some more cases.

The single most useful moment though was when we had an armchair delivered at work. It was inside a wooden crate. The office's toolbox is pretty lame and the only screwdriver long enough to be used as a lever got bent beyond usefulness at the first go. I had to patiently pry five planks open with my Pioneer. It got the job done despite taking an ever-so-slight twist near the pivotal area. I still carry that same SAK :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD