Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm making smurf!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
I'm making smurf!
on: February 28, 2015, 02:54:02 AM
I'm home for the weekend, I get to teach special needs kids how to play hockey! :D But tonight I'm bored and felt like making something, I'm not telling what it is but it should be done tonight then I will share pics of course.

Until then.... suffer in anticipation!!!! (or utter indifference, your call really)
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: I'm making smurf!
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 03:37:45 AM
 :ahhh

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 04:57:50 AM
 :bud:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:03:30 AM
I've emerged from the workshop after toiling away for countless hours!(or 3, but thats a lot to count) I set off on a mission, create the bestest most smurfing awesome A**kickin sheath this world has ever seen. After the mission had concluded, I was indeed left with a sheath where there once had been none. So without further adieu, here is the first ever custom Higgins sheath!

OHHHHH AHHHHH OHHHHH, I know folks, I know. It may be hard to contain yourselves, but please try for the sake of the women and children.

Now I can only imagine the things going through your minds, but I'll take a stab at it. You may be thinking things like, is that the ugliest attempt at creating anything ever? Yes, indeed it is. Will that disaster function for more than 5 minutes without spontaneously combusting? Not likely. Did this illogical human being really spend upwards of 3 hours to create this? You bet your smurf I did!

At first thought, you may have stood back thinking, hot damn Higgins, is that some sort of new magical hi-tech outdoor fabric?!?!?! No, in fact it is not. But rather it is part of a backpack that was cannibalized, but everyone always told me that stripes were slimming!

But surely the liner protecting this magical fabric must be made of unobtainium or some such rare element, right!?!?! Close, but wrong again, the front cover of a notebook seemed to be the second best choice for the job.

Finally, you must be thinking that I have uncovered some new advanced pattern for stitching that is so complex that is just confuses the stress affecting the seam so much that it gives up! Also false, I just have no semblance of an idea of how to sew and couldn't be bothered to look it up!!!

After all this, you're now thinking why in the hell did this kid try to make a sheath out of a back pack and a notebook with no knowledge of sewing or sheath making?!!?! :facepalm:....... Uhhhhhhh, I don't really know. BUT I DID IT!

But in all actuality, it's ugly, its pretty poorly made, I'm not sure how long it'll last, and I suck at sewing. But I made something from scratch(sort of) and it takes care of a problem I had. And that's pretty damn cool in my book. So.... yeah

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 06:22:28 AM
Gotta start somewhere.  My jeans pocket sheat isn't all that pretty but it works for what I need so I'm........ I'm............ I ain't doing it over  :rofl:.

Glad you took a stab at doing it and I'll say it again, gotta start somewhere.

:salute:
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 08:21:44 AM
Not the worst sheath I have ever seen. ;)
How is its balance hanging on the hip?

In my limited experience, some leather scraps and super glue can make a functional sheath with little work, if you dont want to sow.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 08:54:30 AM
It sure IS ugly..  :D  :D
But kudos for trying..  :salute: :)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 03:06:35 PM
Good go Higgins! Now you should try making one in leather.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 03:47:03 PM
Awww you guys are too kind! ;). Yeah certainly not pretty, but it does work. I plan on trying leather but this knife is going to be woods/ocean knife. I wouldn't want to have a leather sheath going surf casting so I figured why not try with what I have.

You need special needles and threads working with leather correct?

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 04:04:20 PM
Way to go! :tu: hey so long as it works who cares what it looks like, and like Aloha said you gotta start somewhere! I remember my first sheath, I was at it for like three hours, but I just bought a surefire flashlight and well, it didn't fit in any of my Maglite ones, and I needed something to carry it in for work the next day! I ripped apart some gardening tool carry bag that I also got for like a buck in hopes to make a sheath, it was tan and some other color, but hey it worked, I got it black and spruced it up later on, I think I took one of those magnum markers and drew all over it then let it sit outside for the weekend, lol
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 04:11:37 PM
Awww you guys are too kind! ;). Yeah certainly not pretty, but it does work. I plan on trying leather but this knife is going to be woods/ocean knife. I wouldn't want to have a leather sheath going surf casting so I figured why not try with what I have.

You need special needles and threads working with leather correct?
You should try leather, it's fun, it can also be a pain! As for needles and thread yes/no, it depends on how and what your stitching. Most common is just a heavy wax coated string, the needle is just a little bit more heavy duty, if looping a flat string then yeah you need a special flat needle.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 04:31:14 PM
Ugly, ill-fitting, poor resistance, badly stitched... At least you tried, most of the folks that might critize you haven't done a single try at it.

Sir,  :hatsoff: for trying and in particular for not being affraid to show your efforts.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Keep at it, you'll correct mistakes from one to the next, you'll find out what works and what doesn't.

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 09:58:15 PM
Between us? Dat sheath is kinda :fugly: but I couldn't care less about looks as long as it does want it is supposed to do.

You could try making one out of cardboard and duct/gaffer tape too. Is the knife held firmly in place?

Funny; I also made a sheath last night (a sleeve, actually):

Sleeve and Pioneer.jpg
* Sleeve and Pioneer.jpg (Filesize: 298.45 KB)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 10:24:45 PM
.......wouldn't the material used from the backpack be just as absorbent as leather?? Atleast leather you could spray some WD on and it might keep some rust away and attract some fishies.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 10:39:15 PM
Atleast leather you could spray some WD on and it might keep some rust away and attract some fishies.
:think:  ???

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 10:56:29 PM
Wouldn't be as wierd as busting out mink paste in the middle of a classroom and waterproofing my boots

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 11:40:15 PM
.......wouldn't the material used from the backpack be just as absorbent as leather?? Atleast leather you could spray some WD on and it might keep some rust away and attract some fishies.

It's partially waterproof, the backside is rubber lined so that water wouldn't be able to soak into your bag. How well it would work is another question entirely. But I was more thinking that it wasn't worth ruining leather with planned bad conditions and no skills.

This is funny, you guys will almost never say anything but good things about what people make. I like it lol.

Firiki, it's held in tight enough that if you hold it upside down and shake a few times it won't fall out, would I call it a strong retention though? Negative. But I do have a strap and Velcro also liberated from said backpack that I have waiting to go on if I see fit, I was just tired.

Keep the feedback coming, at least tell me you guys have gotten a chuckle or two out of it? If not then it's just a wasted effort :rofl:

au Offline harronek

Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 04:32:09 AM
Personally the safety aspect of this sheath would worry the hell out of me .
Fixed blades needs are different from folder pouches and sheaths . The tendency and ability of a sharp fixed blade to cut - punch its way out the side of a sheath and cause damage to the user must never be underestimated .
Get some proper materials and keep trying and experimenting  :tu:

Ken
A designer know he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 04:38:08 AM
Personally the safety aspect of this sheath would worry the hell out of me .
Fixed blades needs are different from folder pouches and sheaths . The tendency and ability of a sharp fixed blade to cut - punch its way out the side of a sheath and cause damage to the user must never be underestimated .
Get some proper materials and keep trying and experimenting  :tu:

Ken

The inside of the sheath is completely plastic lined. Is the plastic stab proof? Definitely not, but I did test it a bit and really it won't be stabbing through without intentional force. But I do appreciate the concern honestly. The thing that worries me though is the retention, which I'm going to address tonight if I have time.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 05:44:49 AM
It takes a brave man to post pics of the first anything that they make.

I'm going to try get a sewing machine so I know I'll make some creations worse than that I'm sure.

Keep it up.

Plastic note book covers make great sheath liners. I've used the paper kind wrapped in black tape also.

Plastic packaging also works and with a little heat can mold to fit.

You can wire wrap a sheath liner to make it cut and stab proff.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:47:12 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 05:55:12 AM
It takes a brave man to post pics of the first anything that they make.

I'm going to try get a sewing machine so I know I'll make some creations worse than that I'm sure.

Keep it up.

Plastic note book covers make great sheath liners. I've used the paper kind wrapped in black tape also.

Plastic packaging also works and with a little heat can mold to fit.

You can wire wrap a sheath liner to make it cut and stab proff.

Yeah I used a heat gun to mold the plastic around the blade so it was a tighter fit to the edge, but I didn't exactly make the shape the most well fitted thing out there :facepalm:

Currently sewing a retention strap on it because I don't like the thought of things falling off on me. Going to be equally as ugly, but should be effective.

Thanks for the feedback!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 06:16:49 AM
Added a velcro retention strap, retention still isn't perfect but I'm no longer concerned about it. This is probably the last I'll do to this train wreck other than attempt to use it. Can't polish a turd right? Thank you all for your very devoted interest, and stay tuned for the next episode of oh dear he's making smurf! :ahhh :D

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 06:46:45 AM
Well you can polish a turd, but in your case it's not leather or plastic, so no you can't.. But hey so long as it does its job that's all you need! Good job :tu:
JR

no Offline Grathr

Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 02:05:14 PM
You must let us know how it holds up over time.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 09:36:38 PM

Yeah, this ^^^ Looks I don't mind (much ::)  :P) but there are safety issues already mentioned. Imagine you slip and fall on that sheath, Gods forbid.

Wouldn't be as wierd as busting out mink paste in the middle of a classroom and waterproofing my boots
:cheers: man! I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 10:08:14 PM

Yeah, this ^^^ Looks I don't mind (much ::)  ) but there are safety issues already mentioned. Imagine you slip and fall on that sheath, Gods forbid.

I wear leather Georgia Boots any day I'm not wearing gym shorts. And about once a week I rub them down in mink paste (like mink....the animal), it keeps the leather soft and completely waterproof.

In psychology class we had to make a list of the weirdest weekly ritual, and then perform an example the next day in class.

So I chose to show everyone how to care for boots with mink paste......the smell was enough to send people out of the room!!!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 07:09:10 PM

Yeah, this ^^^ Looks I don't mind (much ::)  ) but there are safety issues already mentioned. Imagine you slip and fall on that sheath, Gods forbid.

I wear leather Georgia Boots any day I'm not wearing gym shorts. And about once a week I rub them down in mink paste (like mink....the animal), it keeps the leather soft and completely waterproof.

In psychology class we had to make a list of the weirdest weekly ritual, and then perform an example the next day in class.

So I chose to show everyone how to care for boots with mink paste......the smell was enough to send people out of the room!!!

Mink oil is great for waterprofing and conditioning leather. I use it both in paste/wax and oil form.  It is kind og morbid thinking of how they produce it though.

Now that I think of it, I actually have a mink skin laying on salt in the garage. I doubt there is much oil to be had out of it now though...

gr Offline firiki

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 10:55:01 PM

:tu: Yep, now it makes sense. I can be real slow at times, it's true :D Sorry for that!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD