Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bit holder vs fixed screw drivers

nl Offline anditsgone

Bit holder vs fixed screw drivers
on: March 01, 2015, 03:13:05 PM
With my first leatherman I had to get a bit holder because I was worried that the the screw drivers would wore out quickly, but using the crap out of that bit that was supplied with my MUT I is still in great condition.
After selling my MUT I got a leatherman rebar and to my surprise I liked the screw drivers allot more.
I first thought that the Supertool 300 and the Rebar had useless tools because the handles where basically filled with flat head screwdrivers.
But the screw drivers can do allot more than just turn flat head screws.

After receiving my new wave 3 days ago I am back to the bit driver. I still use the old bit that came with my MUT, that bit has seen a lot of use and abuse and is still in great shape.

Of course the reach of the fixed screw drivers is better and screw drivers almost never wear out.

So what is your preference?
Bit driver or fixed screw drivers?
Have you had any positive or negative experience with one?
Breaking, chipping, bending falling off the bit holder?
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 181.48 KB)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:25:23 PM by anditsgone »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Bit holder vs fixed screw drivers
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 03:30:56 PM
I've never had a problem with the fixed screwdrivers wearing out and don't own any MT's with bit drivers, however I can see the benefits of the bit driver for some applications.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 03:31:54 PM
With my first leatherman I had to get a bit holder because I was worried that the the screw drivers would wore out quickly, but using the crap out of that bit that was supplied with my MUT I is still in great condition.
After selling my MUT I got a leatherman rebar and to my surprise I liked the screw drivers allot more.
I first thought that the Supertool 300 and the Rebar had useless tools because the handles where basically filled with flat head screwdrivers.

After receiving my new wave 3 days ago I am back to the bit driver. I still use the old bit that came with my MUT, that bit has seen a lot of use and abuse and is still in great shape.

Of course the reach of the fixed screw drivers is better and screw drivers almost never wear out.

I go both  :drool:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 03:39:14 PM

I go both  :drool:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 142.61 KB)

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:43:43 PM
the long shaft bit that came with the MUT was awesome, i think i might buy it again but i have no place to store it because i pocket carry my Wave.
But that one sure did come handy alot of times. Especialy with light bulb sockets because those screws always rest deep in the socket.
But that is one great way to extend the reach without the overpriced flimsy bit extender.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 04:46:48 PM
I like both. The bit driver was the reason I went with the Wave over a Blast back when I was buying my first Leatherman. I recently modded my Wave to have the fixed Philips in addition to the bit driver. However, since my Wave is my on-duty multitool and as such always has a large contingent of supporting tools and bits with it in my Skinth, I am giving serious consideration to taking the bit driver off the Wave and just carrying the removable bit driver in my Skinth. I find that in my use, about 80% of my screwdriver use is Philips, 19% is flat, and the other 1% is anything else. So I think for me, I don't really NEED the bit driver taking up space in my Wave's handles if I can keep the capability by just adding the removable bit driver when and if I need it.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 04:51:16 PM
I like both. The bit driver was the reason I went with the Wave over a Blast back when I was buying my first Leatherman. I recently modded my Wave to have the fixed Philips in addition to the bit driver. However, since my Wave is my on-duty multitool and as such always has a large contingent of supporting tools and bits with it in my Skinth, I am giving serious consideration to taking the bit driver off the Wave and just carrying the removable bit driver in my Skinth. I find that in my use, about 80% of my screwdriver use is Philips, 19% is flat, and the other 1% is anything else. So I think for me, I don't really NEED the bit driver taking up space in my Wave's handles if I can keep the capability by just adding the removable bit driver when and if I need it.

I am planning to do the same to my wave, how did you fit in the philips screw driver? have you taken out the saftey pin for the knife or snapped/grinded the plier resting pin away?
Could you send a picture of how the Philips driver rests in the handle?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 05:43:49 PM
I absolutely love the LM bits and have found in my 2 years of use no noticeable wear and no chipping, rounding, or wear.  To extend the reach of the tool I use the bit extender which has a side benefit other than extended reach and it's being able to use standard 1/4 bits.

It's true the bit extender means toting another piece but in my I wouldn't leave it out.  I have narrowed down what bits I carry.   
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 05:49:10 PM
I absolutely love the LM bits and have found in my 2 years of use no noticeable wear and no chipping, rounding, or wear.  To extend the reach of the tool I use the bit extender which has a side benefit other than extended reach and it's being able to use standard 1/4 bits.

It's true the bit extender means toting another piece but in my I wouldn't leave it out.  I have narrowed down what bits I carry.

I also have been thinking of buying the bit kit but because i live in europe half of the bits are unuseble.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 06:08:34 PM

I am planning to do the same to my wave, how did you fit in the philips screw driver? have you taken out the saftey pin for the knife or snapped/grinded the plier resting pin away?

I just snapped the post off. I need to grind it down a bit in order to get the tool to close up completely but it is good enough for now, until I have an opportunity to do it properly. I would like to end up with Philips and can opener in one handle, and Medium flat, small flat, and awl in the other handle.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 06:14:41 PM

I just snapped the post off. I need to grind it down a bit in order to get the tool to close up completely but it is good enough for now, until I have an opportunity to do it properly. I would like to end up with Philips and can opener in one handle, and Medium flat, small flat, and awl in the other handle.

I have the same problem, the space in the wave handles are very limited.
Could you sent a picture of how far the Philips head extends in the tool?
Does it come past the rivet, does it sit on the rivet or does it stop just in front of the rivet.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 07:10:54 PM

I also have been thinking of buying the bit kit but because i live in europe half of the bits are unuseble.

It would be great IF LM made a EU bit kit.  I'd recommend the bit extender then and add your favorite and most used 1/4 bits. 

You can always mod a "bit extender" for your bit holder.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 07:13:33 PM

I have the same problem, the space in the wave handles are very limited.
Could you sent a picture of how far the Philips head extends in the tool?
Does it come past the rivet, does it sit on the rivet or does it stop just in front of the rivet.

I am unable to post pictures right now, but the Philips head rests directly on top of the rivet. Not past it, but almost directly even with the edge of the rivet that is closest to the plier-end of the tool. Should be easy enough to find pictures in the Mod Squad Forum.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 07:16:16 PM

It would be great IF LM made a EU bit kit.  I'd recommend the bit extender then and add your favorite and most used 1/4 bits. 

You can always mod a "bit extender" for your bit holder.

I actually already did that, it works great although it is a bit sloppy.i just grinded down a stock bit holder.
Although I don't tink anyone would pocket carry a box of bits. It sure is nice especially on Stihl chainsaw and hedge trimmers because almost everything is torx.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 134.28 KB)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:21:36 PM by anditsgone »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31