Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

etekcity FPB001 flashlight/lantern/usb powerbank

us Offline LoveHate

etekcity FPB001 flashlight/lantern/usb powerbank
on: March 02, 2015, 06:10:24 AM
I bought this light off ebay and wanted to see what everyone thought about it. I bought 2 and one worked great the other would just flash randomly and would not respond to the switch. after opening it I noticed that there was metal shavings and oil inside from cutting the treads. I cleaned it out and it works fine now. aside from that I an quit impressed for a $15 gadget. the light beam is very bright but abit odd in that it 'projects' the cree led circuit pattern on the wall but holey smurf is it bright. it has high low strobe and a sos feature when you hold down the button. the lantern is nice and bright and you can open it slightly to focus the beam but you loose some out the lantern. the light came with a 18650 battery but it is unlike any I have seen and I don't know where to find a replacement.... if anyone knows where to find it please let me know.

stock photos

beam pattern

battery

the unusual part of battery outside ring is negative inside dot is positive.

us Offline English333

Re: etekcity FPB001 flashlight/lantern/usb powerbank
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:27:52 AM
What's this awesome thing called? And how do you charge the battery?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:15:16 AM
The battery looks unusual. I though it just had a protection circuit at the end but it should have been -ve for the whole flat part

I assume that it is designed so that it can be charged in the lantern (the charging wires come and touch that end only,the -ve and the +ve accordingly)

Hopefully it can also be operated with a standard 18650 battery, loosing the charging capabilities.
I would avoid using any of the inbuilt low cost chargers anyway.

I have a similar one on order, but without any powerbank/charger in it.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:33:19 AM
The battery looks unusual. I though it just had a protection circuit at the end but it should have been -ve for the whole flat part

I assume that it is designed so that it can be charged in the lantern (the charging wires come and touch that end only,the -ve and the +ve accordingly)

Hopefully it can also be operated with a standard 18650 battery, loosing the charging capabilities.
I would avoid using any of the inbuilt low cost chargers anyway.

I have a similar one on order, but without any powerbank/charger in it.
just checked on the multimeter and it is - on outside + on inside dot. I think it is because the usb charge port and the charge port are both on the end cap. also im assuming that would mean that a reg charger or battery wont work in it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:41:26 AM
It seems that if you put the battery in a regular charger it will just short circuit the +ve and the -ve (at the flat end) and fry the battery.

It also seems that you can not use a regular battery in the light...

Try searching in BLF to see if someone has modified a battery or the light to be more "normal".

Or contact the seller at eBay-maybe they have spare batteries.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:44:27 AM
What's this awesome thing called? And how do you charge the battery?
it is a etekcity model fpb001 and charges via micro usb on the tail cap.

gb Offline djw

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 03:35:27 AM
the light came with a 18650 battery but it is unlike any I have seen and I don't know where to find a replacement.... if anyone knows where to find it please let me know.
It sounds like the same battery as is used in the Foursevens Maelstrom Regen MMR-X. That might help you track down a battery, though the Foursevens list price for the battery is as much as you paid for your flashlight on eBay.

The Foursevens MMR-X flashlight includes a ring that you place on the positive terminal of a normal 18650 to prevent shorts.

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 08:30:24 AM
the light came with a 18650 battery but it is unlike any I have seen and I don't know where to find a replacement.... if anyone knows where to find it please let me know.
It sounds like the same battery as is used in the Foursevens Maelstrom Regen MMR-X. That might help you track down a battery, though the Foursevens list price for the battery is as much as you paid for your flashlight on eBay.

The Foursevens MMR-X flashlight includes a ring that you place on the positive terminal of a normal 18650 to prevent shorts.
just checked and although similar the fours evens is +/- on one end and - only on the other. The one I have is +/- on one end and + on the other. Thanks for the suggestion tho :tu:

gb Offline djw

Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:12:28 AM
just checked and although similar the fours evens is +/- on one end and - only on the other. The one I have is +/- on one end and + on the other. Thanks for the suggestion tho :tu:
I guess mention of the charging port being on the rear of your flashlight should have alerted me to the '+ and -' end being at the 'traditionally -' end of the cell. The Foursevens MMR-X is the other way round - the charging port is in the middle of the flashlight, so the '+ and -' end is at the 'traditionally +' end of the cell.

Maybe the OEM of the Foursevens cell will come to light, as they might produce both the variant needed by the Foursevens MMR-X and the variant used by your flashlight.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%