Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Streamlight

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Streamlight
on: March 03, 2015, 02:42:46 PM
   So ive been in a bit of a flashlight buying frenzy lately. Ive purchased 1 aaa lights all the way to 18650 lights.
It was all about what gives me the most lumens for my $$$. But along the way while researching, I would see these cool yet plain looking lights made by streamlight. When I would look them up I would see that they were offering far less lumens than most other lights in their price range. So i kept ignoring them. Well, one day out of sheer boredom I clicked buy on ebay and received a microstream. Instantly fell in love. Only 35 lumens but great hot spot and awesome build.
   Long story short, I now own a microstream, stylus pro, protac 2aaa, and a protac 2aa.
 Love these lights!
 Does anyone here share this love?
Please let me know.
[

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Streamlight
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 05:36:48 PM
Like you they are lights that keep catching my eye, but I've yet to pull the trigger.  Sadly they cost an arm and a leg over here, so they are kinda hard to justify. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 05:47:00 PM
 Yea I hear you. It may be worth it if you get one in a trade.
[

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:12:03 AM
I, too, have enjoyed using Streamlight lights, though I've been favoring Pelican lately.

I have a Polytac 90 (right angle), Protac 2AAA, and the older 4AA Luxeon.  Had and gave away  multiple Stylus Pros and Microstreams after replacing them with Pelican competitors.

The Streamlight products are a good value and decent quality.  Like that the company is USA-based even though some of their lights are made elsewhere.  If  you are in the US, you can have Streamlight products repaired without shipping them overseas.

I've been eyeing the new Streamlight 88049 Protac 1AAA:

Link:  http://www.streamlight.com/en-gb/product/product.html?pid=319

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 05:25:48 AM
 Ive been eyeing that one as well.
[

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:38:58 AM
If it says anything, our fire department uses only streamlights for just about every application. From the ones worn on the jackets to large high output lights mounted in the trucks.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 05:41:48 AM
Something I really enjoyed. I was talking to one of the guys who had been on the force quite some time, and I was surprised that the lights on their jackets we're built out of plastic. So I said aren't you guys worried about the heat messing them up? To which he said kid if you're in a situation where it's hot enough to melt one of these, the light is absolutely the least of your troubles. After that I no longer questioned anything

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 05:51:22 AM
Lol. I wouldve asked the same thing. :-)
[

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 05:53:36 AM
Lol. I wouldve asked the same thing. :-)

It was the best answer I could have asked for lol. And one that sounded like he may have had a few incidents to gain knowledge like that.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 06:56:08 AM
I have a Streamlight Stylus Pro and, without being an expert (my only other EDC light is a Solitaire) I find it great.

Offline zimchaz

Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 07:29:01 AM
I have a microstream as my edc and the only other lights I have are a fenix e01 and mag lite minis. So its the "best" light I own!But like kokkolis I am no expert.

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 10:26:53 PM
I too EDC a Microstream (Gen 2 I think - it has the "S" clip) and LOVE IT.  Output is great for 1xAAA and does great with Ni-MH's.  I usually use when I need both hands, either clipping it on my hat or cigar-style.
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:46:43 PM
 I too love my microstream. If you want that sucker to really shine a bright light, get a 10440 blue trustfire battery for it. It will get way over 100 lumens with that. I would say about 150 lumens or so.
[

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 05:26:50 PM
I feel the same way about Surefire.

DSCN1196-1.jpg
* DSCN1196-1.jpg (Filesize: 153.59 KB)
DSCN1197-1.jpg
* DSCN1197-1.jpg (Filesize: 158.78 KB)
DSCN1198-1.jpg
* DSCN1198-1.jpg (Filesize: 153.81 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

Offline c99c

Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 05:34:02 PM
I carry either a Stylus Pro or PT2L daily. My wife carries a PT1L and my daughter a Stylus Pro. We have multiples of these plus several Microstreams.

We also own Surefire, Fenix, FourSevens, and other brand lights, but the Streamlights see the most use due to size, simplicity and durability.

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 06:00:05 PM
 My very first quality flashlight was a Surefire e2e. I bought it about 9 years agao and it had a whopping 60 lumens :D . At the time I thought that was ridiculously bright. I got bored with and the having to buy 2 cr123s (at the time very expensive) turned me off so traded it and didnt mess with lights for about 2 years. Then I bought a maratac and was hooked again. Far more choices today and at very fair prices compared to 9 years ago. I don't think I'll ever buy another surefire but I do know they are excellent lights. Plenty of other more affordable models that fit my needs. And yes the streamlights are really oh so simple to use.
[

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 06:12:58 PM
When Surefire offered a deal on their 123's I bought 240 and after 12 years we haven't  exhausted that supply.

We're close to finishing the last of them though !

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 08:05:16 PM
Wow! TWO HUNDRED FORTY :o 
[

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 08:22:08 PM
Wow! TWO HUNDRED FORTY :o

Yes I know it sounds like a lot of batteries but it turned out to be a good investment,considering the current cost.

It was 20 boxes of 12 count.

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 11:29:36 PM
 Hey, I am all for being prepared. And those cr123s have a long shelf life.
[

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 09:35:39 PM
I have been carrying my Streamlight Stylus Pro for about a month and a half and it has been great. I used to carry a cheap rayovac 1aa flashlight and that served me well for about 8 months of heavy carry. It was actually pretty good, it had a machined metal barrel and a clicky switch, bright led too. The switch was the downfall of it. It started flickering a little about 6 months in and by 8 months you had to tap it on something to get it to turn on. I know, that was before I had good gear. The stylus pro has been really nice. It's very compact and fits right behind my Ontario Rat 1 in my jeans. I have found that the knife has rubbed a lot of the paint off one side though. I also wish that the clip was stronger, it has almost fallen out of my jeans a few times. It has enough light, but I would like a little more if I could get it. The Thrunite TI4 looks really interesting to me. 252 lumens out of a penlight is really spectacular. The only thing that I don't like is having to switch through the modes every time I want to turn it on bright. I wish that lights came on brightest first, then switched lower.

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 01:40:53 AM
I have been carrying my Streamlight Stylus Pro for about a month and a half and it has been great. I used to carry a cheap rayovac 1aa flashlight and that served me well for about 8 months of heavy carry. It was actually pretty good, it had a machined metal barrel and a clicky switch, bright led too. The switch was the downfall of it. It started flickering a little about 6 months in and by 8 months you had to tap it on something to get it to turn on. I know, that was before I had good gear. The stylus pro has been really nice. It's very compact and fits right behind my Ontario Rat 1 in my jeans. I have found that the knife has rubbed a lot of the paint off one side though. I also wish that the clip was stronger, it has almost fallen out of my jeans a few times. It has enough light, but I would like a little more if I could get it. The Thrunite TI4 looks really interesting to me. 252 lumens out of a penlight is really spectacular. The only thing that I don't like is having to switch through the modes every time I want to turn it on bright. I wish that lights came on brightest first, then switched lower.
  Its easy to get caught up in the "more lumens is better" mentality. I have lights ranging from 30 lumes to 1050 lumens. The lights I use the most are from 80 to 150 lumens. I have NEVER needed to use 1050 lumens. Its over kill. Enjoy your stylus pro. Its a great light. Lut it in a separate pocket. Your knife should be alone so that you can have quick access in an emergency.
[

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 04:33:15 PM
I've got a Stylus Pro and a Microstream, both are great little lights.  I keep the Microstream in the stretchy loop on my Wave sheath.  I had a Protac 2L (first generation, without the TEN-TAP programming) that I did not like at all, it was my first CR123 light.  I didn't know what I was doing at the time, but it turned out that the High-Strobe-Low mode order (and lack of memory) was not for me.  It also didn't get very good milage from a pair of 123s.  I sold that one, but I've been eyeing the ProPolymer 4AA for a little while to keep in the car... probably won't end up getting it though.  Streamlight in my eyes is like Maglite... there are some good models, and I really want to like them as a brand, but generally speaking there are much better performers out there, sometimes for less money too.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 05:13:24 PM
The CR123 is a mean battery, it means business :salute:
SAW

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 07:50:26 PM
Lights were my first love, before guns, SAKs, MTs, knives and Maxpedition products.  I own and use several Streamlight products.  My EDC is a ProTac 2AAA, though I own the Stylus Pro and Microstream.

I sell parking spaces to raise money for a charity, and use a pair of Poly Stingers with "traffic wands".  Poly Stingers are not cheap at around US$100 with charger, but they have a long, regulated runtime and are very durable.

I keep a Strion with traffic wand in my vehicle.  Good stuff.

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 08:39:33 AM
I like Streamlight products for their well designed and practical function, warranty, water resistance, tactility and aesthetics. Prices are definitely higher than the trendy high lumens, rechargeble Chinese torches but it's worth the money for assured quality. The shop where I frequent was having 40% closing down sale, so I got into a "stock up" frenzy.

Currently have: PT2L (non ten-tap), Clipmate USB (sending for repair of cracked LED plastic housing), Stylus Reach, ProPolymer 4AA, PolyTac, PolyTac 90.

Gifted: Scorpion (forgot exact model, 2xCR123, single mode, yellow casing) and 5 x PT1L (non ten-tap).

Some weakness of these models are the incapability to take rechargeable batteries, 1-3 click activation which some people say is not practical when one loses fine motor control in critical situations. I find that this issue can be mitigated with preemptive activation of the ten-tap function.   
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 03:41:03 PM
While rummaging through some equipment I discovered this Streamlight.It's a weapons light that was mounted beneath the extended magazine tube of a Benelli M1 Super 90 defense gun.

It has a light rated at 125 lumens and a laser that projects a red dot to the target.While not the brightest of its genre,it's still viable at normal room distances.The laser allows the user to aim without lighting up the room.
DSCN2243.JPG
* DSCN2243.JPG (Filesize: 177.36 KB)
DSCN2245.JPG
* DSCN2245.JPG (Filesize: 187.68 KB)
DSCN2247.JPG
* DSCN2247.JPG (Filesize: 181.62 KB)
DSCN2246.JPG
* DSCN2246.JPG (Filesize: 190.39 KB)

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 08:12:45 AM
That would be a TLR4 weapon light.

Streamlight make a quality product that delivers value if you look past the marketing hype.
Do you need 1000 lumens in a pen light?

I have carried a Stylus Pro for years, the form factor is perfect to slip in a pocket or in a pack.
Originally 28 lumens I think,  then got a 40 lumen version and now they are 60.
I have had all 3 types and they have never let me down. Original Surefire P60 were 65 lumens!

A TLR3 sits on my bedside and gets put on a Glock every night. Same as above minus the laser.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 06:37:35 PM
That would be a TLR4 weapon light.
Streamlight make a quality product that delivers value if you look past the marketing hype.
Do you need 1000 lumens in a pen light?
I have carried a Stylus Pro for years, the form factor is perfect to slip in a pocket or in a pack.
Originally 28 lumens I think,  then got a 40 lumen version and now they are 60.I have had all 3 types and they have never let me down. Original Surefire P60 were 65 lumens!
A TLR3 sits on my bedside and gets put on a Glock every night. Same as above minus the laser.

I have replaced the TLR-4 with a TLR-2HL on my current defense shotgun.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%