Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wave and Victorinox Spirit

Aloha · 61 · 12228

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Leatherman Wave and Victorinox Spirit
Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 09:38:18 AM
Well, it's been a lot of interesting perspective so I'll toss my 2¢ in.  I am a hard core MultiTool user as a tradesman.  I don't just carry to be prepared, I use the tool for work everyday, so I absolutely need the best tool.  By best, clearly I mean, best for me.  I think most people know I am Pro Spirit so let's be clear on that up front.  Now, let qualify that by stating I carried a Wave everyday for 14 years and it performed admirably, however it was/is deficient compared to the Spirit for my work needs.
First off, ergonomics is a clear winner for the Spirit.  Anyone that has both tools can go grab them and hold one in each hand and squeeze.  The Spirit is comfortable and the Wave is 4 sharp awkward corners digging into your hands.
OHO is not a plus for me to deploy a blade.  We have a strict safety policy that requires wearing cut resistant gloves when using tools.  I'm never in a hurry to deploy a blade.  Also, I prefer the butter knife only on the Spirit.  The Wave serrated blade is very good, but I have no use for the drop point blade.  The Wave is uncomfortable to hold, so cutting is awkward for me with it.  Couple that with an aggressive point on the straight blade and it's not for me.  I carry a Pioneer for general blade needs.
Next, I can deploy every single tool on my Spirit one at a time with gloves on.  I cannot deploy the tools on my Wave without taking my gloves off (with the exception of the outside blades).
I don't like clumping tools.  The spring loaded tools on Spirit are much easier to deploy.
The tools on the Spirit lock.  They do not on the Wave.  Again......safety first.
The bit drivers on the Spirit are longer and more useful for me. 
I work in mechanical rooms, etc where there are lots of floor drains, etc.  I like to avoid removable bits if possible, but that is even secondary to the fact that the stubby reach limits the practical use.
I prefer the scissors on the Spirit.  They are sturdier and sharper.  The minimal opening jaws don't affect me as I've never needed them to open wider to cut something.  I'm not cutting swathes of wrapping paper with them, I am "snipping" things.  They lock and they are sturdy.
The Spirit has a better wire scraper.
The Spirits dual hard wire cutter indents make it an acceptable go to stripper for small gauge stranded wire.  As I work with 18-22 gauge wire everyday, it does this better than the Wave.  I need to be clear that no MultiTool is a good substitute for a proper wire stripper, I'm just stating the Spirit is better in a pinch. 
I don't use a MultiTool to cut stranded wire heavier than 18 gauge so the cutters are of little significance to me.  I will say, I used the Spirit to cut through a chain link fence when I had to access a remote cell tower on a mountain top and the combo I was given for the fence lock didn't work.
I have no need for longer needle nose than the Spirit pliers.  They work fine for my needs.  I'm constantly using them to grab and move small jumpers and they work just as well as my Wave ever did. 
Fit and finish..... Hands down the Spirit.  That's really a non factor for me.  I'm not careful with tools.  I expect them to perform.
These are the reasons why the Spirit is a better fit for my needs.  With the Spirit I get a tool that does everything I expect and is more comfortable to use.  It also has slightly elevated my expectations as I can use the drivers in more applications where the stubby Wave drivers weren't functional.
Now, if the Spirit didn't exist, I can assure you I could have went the rest of my career using the Wave and would have been just fine with it.  I'm just pleased that I found a step up from adequately functional. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frankly, I'm much too lazy to type all that out again, which is just as well as it pretty much sums up my opinion of the Spirit vs Wave debate.  As a maintenance engineer I was using my MTs every day and the Spirit just held too many advantages over the Wave for what I was doing.  I will say though that I am NOT a fan of the Spirit's scissors. :P
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 04:40:47 PM
I get people always wanting a "face off" but as I've said possibly here and other places, the winner is the person who carries a tool that serves them.   

We've hear stories of guys carrying the Original PST from Leatherman for years and making it work.  This goes for the Gerber Multiplier ( Mr Pinchy ) as well. 

I dont see a comparison per se between these tools more than a highlighting of what will suit the buyers needs.  Do I love certain tools on the Spirit? Or the Chisel, How about the bluntish plier tip?  YOU BET. 

The great thing for guys like myself and you and BASguy is we've found our go to tool  :tu:.  We have found the tool that helps us make our money. 

I wont personally carry the Spirit vs Wave but I will and do carry the Swisstool over it in certain situations. 

I'll continue this discussion with more pics of both tools but I wont choose a winner necessarily.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BASguy

Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 12:04:56 AM
Well, I for one have no issues calling out a clear winner.  If you actually use your MultiTool on a daily basis as a tradesman, the Spirit is a clear winner due to greater functionality and better ergonomics.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 12:37:02 AM
Well, I for one have no issues calling out a clear winner.  If you actually use your MultiTool on a daily basis as a tradesman, the Spirit is a clear winner due to greater functionality and better ergonomics.

We get it, you like the Spirit.
It works for you with your particular trade, great.
Just remember there are other trades and the Spirit is not suited to all of them.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 01:16:47 AM

Cannot open the tools on the Spirit with leather gloves on.  I've tried and tried its not gonna happen. 

Ergonomics is debatable as are all things with these tools.  I work as a tradesman as well and have never found the Wave hard to handle or uncomfortable.  Hand size can be an issue on the larger tools so while the Surge and ST300 suit my hand well they may be too big for others. 

I also don't buy the idea that the bits are troublesome.  There are many who use 1/4 in bits all day long with no issues.  Again it always comes down to the user.  I have not had any issues with my LM bit nor 1/4 in bits I've used with the bit extender.

For some a lanyard attachment is important and neither the Spirit nor the Swisstool have one.  How about being able to use my pliers then without closing the tool quickly access my driver.  I have opened the flat driver on my Swisstool and left it open while I deployed the pliers so there is a way to get it done.

We could go on and on and it still wont make the Spirit the best tool for me nor the Wave the best for you. 

We have both declared winners for ourselves which is fantastic.           
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BASguy

Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 02:31:16 AM
Well, the Spirit's body was designed specifically based on ergonomics.  The Wave is not an ergonomic design and if you were using it all day long that would be very obvious.  After 14 years of daily use, I can testify first hand that it is drastically different. 
If your trade requires you to wear leather gloves, then I can understand why ergonomics is not a consideration.   Squeezing 4 sharp corners with heavy leather gloves is not going to be noticeably uncomfortable. 

Bits are troublesome when they are removable and prone to dropping and loss.  That doesn't have to equate to people functioning adequately with them and not dropping/losing them on a frequent enough basis to be an issue.  However, if you are attempting to convince me that the short stubby bits are as useful as longer bits you are not going to be successful on that one. 

I'm never in hurry to deploy tools while working.  Rushing to accomplish highly technical tasks leads to mistakes. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 02:48:09 AM
We could go on and on and it still wont make the Spirit the best tool for me nor the Wave the best for you. 

+1,000,000,000    :pok:   ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:49:14 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 05:21:33 AM

+1,000,000,000    :pok:   ;)

and on and on...........

Not in any way am I trying to pursued anyone towards the tool of my choice.

I carefully didn't us VS in the topic since I had no intention of making it a competition between the two.  I'll continue the pictures and discussion tomm.  Maybe I'll do the Surge and Swisstool?

Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 06:30:12 AM
Maybe I'll do the Surge and Swisstool?
How about Surge, Swisstool, ST300 and Gerber MP600(blunt nose) ? 

That discussion should get some strong opinions heated up  :pok:   :rofl:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 07:22:49 AM
Maybe I'll do the Surge and Swisstool?
How about Surge, Swisstool, ST300 and Gerber MP600(blunt nose) ? 

That discussion should get some strong opinions heated up  :pok:   :rofl:

I have all but the MP600 but I like the way you think  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BASguy

Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 10:07:48 PM
I don't see a point in trying to convince anybody to use one vs the other.  I just stated why I use it and have no qualms stating its a superior tool for heavy work use.  I can certainly understand why someone would have a preference for Wave for more casual EDC or specific work needs (like heavy gloves).      As a heavy user I rate tools for functionality not collectibility.  I'm a pretty straight forward guy and call it like I see it.  I don't take offense if someone disagrees, because it would suck if we all liked the same thing. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 01:58:54 AM
It'd be more than odd if everyone had a Spirit on their belt or Wave for that matter.  Heck when I drove a Chevy I'd hear about how great the Ford was so I sold my Chevy and got a Toyota  :rofl:.  What lively conversation does is help anyone on the fence about either of these tools. 

I can assure you that straight shooting is not only welcomed but in my world demanded  :salute:.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BASguy

Reply #42 on: March 07, 2015, 02:18:46 AM
Well stated :return salute:

de Offline Kin-Luu

• Can never carry enough tools.
Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 08:14:21 AM
My work EDC used to alternate between the Swisstool X and the Leatherman Charge TTi. But since I got the Swisstool Spirit X, I carry nothing else.

It simply fits my hands and needs better than my other options. The Swisstool feels like it weights ten pounds and I can really feel it on my belt (or even in my bag!).
The Charge has a lot of tools on the iside, which is somewhat uncomfortable. And it has tools I do not need or like, and this somehow irks the perfectionist in me. I simply have never liked serrated blades - I have never found a real use for them. Especially if you have a S30V blade ready.

But the Spirit is not perfect either. Those scissors. If you compare those with the scissors on the standard swisstool or on the other Victorinox pocket/keyring knives, you have to wonder what the Spirits designer was smoking, when he designed those. Also, why the hell is there no pocket clip available?

I guess there simply is no 'perfect' multitool, only some that come close. And this is why we collect them. Because we are always on the hunt for the one that is even closer.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #44 on: March 07, 2015, 08:58:39 AM
My work EDC used to alternate between the Swisstool X and the Leatherman Charge TTi. But since I got the Swisstool Spirit X, I carry nothing else.

It simply fits my hands and needs better than my other options. The Swisstool feels like it weights ten pounds and I can really feel it on my belt (or even in my bag!).
The Charge has a lot of tools on the iside, which is somewhat uncomfortable. And it has tools I do not need or like, and this somehow irks the perfectionist in me. I simply have never liked serrated blades - I have never found a real use for them. Especially if you have a S30V blade ready.

But the Spirit is not perfect either. Those scissors. If you compare those with the scissors on the standard swisstool or on the other Victorinox pocket/keyring knives, you have to wonder what the Spirits designer was smoking, when he designed those. Also, why the hell is there no pocket clip available?

I guess there simply is no 'perfect' multitool, only some that come close. And this is why we MOD them. Because we are always on the hunt for the one that is even closer.

Fixed this for you.

de Offline Kin-Luu

• Can never carry enough tools.
Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 09:29:43 AM
Too scared of breaking my stuff, to start modding it.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #46 on: March 07, 2015, 04:56:22 PM
Never have needed a pocket clip, but I can see where that would be a good option to have available.  I think the scissors work exceptionally well, but it is strange they don't open wider.  I only use them for snipping things, so it's never been an issue, but it doesn't make sense given the design they couldn't have made the spring clip shorter.  It's easy enough to manipulate (there are some good photos on the forum).

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #47 on: March 07, 2015, 09:20:46 PM
Too scared of breaking my stuff, to start modding it.

I am sure it would go better then my first attempt at modding.  :facepalm:

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 01:07:19 PM
Recently ending up with both; this question is perplexing...

Advantage to the Wave
Knife feels more solid
Replacing of parts
Bit drivers - bit set options
Ruler
Extra blade - serrated
Opening of one handed tools
Slightly cheaper

Advantage to the Spirit X
Lighter
Quality
Design
Finish
Ergonomics
Seperate tool springs
Tool access
Opening of all internal tools
Bottle opener
Awl

No Advantage
Pliers
Saw
Scissors
Can opener
Tool locking mechanisms

These are two incredibly great tools to be debating... :) If I had to choose, it's the spirit, but I'm using both.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 02:13:36 PM
I think comparison between tools are not supposed to declare a winner per se, but to show the differences and therefore help someone to decide what he should could buy and what he has too look out for.

For example, I never really liked the blade on the Vic 58mm, its flimsy. I wished it was sturdier, like the blade on a Squirt. However, these two blades are very good for their size, just not at the same tasks.
You want to slice? The thin blade of the 58mm is unrivaled, its also sturdier than it looks (I have sliced open a can with this little tool) and easy to maintain. The 58mm is also easy to wash in the dishwasher.
You use your blade for prying / scraping / woodworking like cutting? The Squirt blade works better, its not a poor slicer either (it can also slice through a can) just not as good as the 58mm, its also easy to maintain and great.

Winner? what are you going to use it for?

As for Spirit vs Wave
There are so many factors, some are not just depending on the job you do, but also on your person. How big are your hands? I think small handed people will lean more towards the Spirit whereas larger hands will prefer the Wave.
If I would have to decide between the two and not carry anything else it would be the  CyberTool Wave (ok, technically it would be a Charge), because 98% of my tasks require a knife-blade and I like OHO. However, I find it pointless to carry a Wave without a bit kit and extender, so for me the Wave is not really a stand alone tool. That is of course a conundrum, proofing that the question, which one is better, cannot be answered :D
Show content
Kidding, its of course the Spirit

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 02:29:07 PM
I agree that these 2 mt's are good for debating  :tu: its the reason why i ended up with these 2 mt's  :D ok my wave is a og wave but i prefer the older wave as its a more stand alone mt like the spirit  :tu: of course though the spirit does it much more smoothly  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 03:56:58 PM
I'll get back to this soon enough.  I agree with Ether and it's exactly why I'm not declaring a winner.  Each tool is strong enough to hold their own and each is very highly rated. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BASguy

Leatherman Wave and Victorinox Spirit
Reply #52 on: April 25, 2015, 02:43:07 AM
All this makes me wonder why Leatherman doesn't have  a spring loaded tool similar to the Spirit...?:think:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #53 on: April 25, 2015, 03:53:39 AM
Spring-loaded eh.............?

hr Offline styx

Reply #54 on: April 25, 2015, 09:28:23 AM
When it came down to the Spirit and Wave in terms of buying one, Spirit won out for me. Simply fit my needs better then. And now which is a bit surprising but ok.
However when it comes to the larger brethren, I've got my heart set on a BO Surge
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: April 25, 2015, 09:36:12 AM
When i did my maintenance job  i tried many different mt's, including the wave, for that job i liked carrying all the extra bits including bits i modded,but personally the surge won hands down for me,these days I prefer a more compact dedicated mt like the spirit,plus it doesn't rattle like my og wave  :facepalm:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #56 on: June 17, 2015, 06:23:31 PM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #57 on: June 17, 2015, 08:22:51 PM
After carrying Spirit for few weeks, I actually like it very much be honest.
For such size and weight it has a lot to offer. I like it more than Rebar now.
When Spirit compares to Wave, like many said they both hold their ground.
Keep in mind that a stock Wave needs a little work to refine it, like softening up its edges while Spirit is good to go in its stock form.
Wave's OHO blades and pocket clip option is great so you don't have to carry another folder, Spirit is limited to sheath carry only, an additional OHO folder is highly recommended.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 05:53:42 PM
After carrying Spirit for few weeks, I actually like it very much be honest.
For such size and weight it has a lot to offer. I like it more than Rebar now.
When Spirit compares to Wave, like many said they both hold their ground.
Keep in mind that a stock Wave needs a little work to refine it, like softening up its edges while Spirit is good to go in its stock form.
Wave's OHO blades and pocket clip option is great so you don't have to carry another folder, Spirit is limited to sheath carry only, an additional OHO folder is highly recommended.
Good point on the Wave's OHO but personally, I do not miss it. I use the blades on my Rebar often and have no issue opening the tool and popping out a blade. I'm quite used to it. So for me, the Rebar is my dedicated folder.
SAW

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #59 on: June 22, 2015, 10:07:15 PM
Agree, for a MT without any outside accessible features, ST300 & Rebar's blade can be open really fast with two hands.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD