Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Confirmation-present for a boyscout

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Confirmation-present for a boyscout
on: March 03, 2015, 07:14:47 PM
Okay guys, I'm gonna need your help on this one...

My girlfriends younger brother is going to be confirmed (is that the right way to say it?) later this year and, as he's entering the ranks of the adults and he's a boyscout, we thought it fitting to give him some kind of SAK/multitool.

One of my first thoughts was the LM Signal, seeing as it actually has absolutely everything he might need, however, I can't find any date on the release and as it is, it isn't legal in Denmark, due to the OHO blade - by the time there is a DK-legal version, it's problably gonna be too late.

Another thought was a SAK of some kind, considering all the different BSA-branded models I've seen pictures of, a SAK should make a great present.
A quick search revealed that the Huntsman, Farmer and Ranger all would be great options - they're all equipped with scissors, wood saw and tweezers and not so big that you can't carry them in a pocket. On top of that, they're all DK-legal.

Do any of you have any other suggestions? The only real requirements are, that the SAK/multi contains a wood saw, are pocketable and DK-legal (No blades over 7 cm/2.75 inches, no OHO-blades and no locking blades).
Lastly, and almost most importantly: The tool has to have a surfarce where it can be engraved - we're going to put his name and either year of birth or year of confirmation on it.

tl;dr - Looking for SAK/multitool for 14-year old boyscout, which has to be DK-legal, be pocketable and have a wood saw - suggestions?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Confirmation-present for a boyscout
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:19:15 PM
Personally I really like the look of the Ranger loadout, I don't have one but I've been debating it very much. So I'd vote ranger
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:40:55 PM
All three models would be great presents. :tu: You can't go wrong with any of them.

ALOX models suit themselves best for engraving however, not that the cellidor/plastic ones don't, just that there's a much greater chance they'll crack and get destroyed with use. But then again, you can always have them engraved on the blade too. ;)

Another option for you would be the ALOX Harvester, just like the Farmer, but it replaces the can opener with a pruning blade.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pioneer+Harvester

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:46:32 PM
If you decide to go on a standard SAK model, I have lots of boyscout BSA-branded red scales you can have as I dont need them. 

As for engraving on a standard SAK, I would not engrave the plastic, but do it on the main blade.  Lasts much longer and then if you change the scales later the blade is still engraved.

Cheers!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 09:28:08 PM

Never mind as my suggestion would not be DK legal.

The process is called induction.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:33:50 PM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 09:36:54 PM
+ 1 Ranger, maybe with some BSA scales as has been offered.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:37:30 PM
I'd recommend a Farmer. It has an engraving plate and is bomb proof. Best of luck in your choice.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:51:20 PM
Why not include the Swisschamp,since it has all the cool tools and is DK legal.

You can then avail yourself of our members generosity and obtain the Boy Scout scales.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:29:21 PM
Personally I really like the look of the Ranger loadout, I don't have one but I've been debating it very much. So I'd vote ranger

Duely noted. :)
All three models would be great presents. :tu: You can't go wrong with any of them.

ALOX models suit themselves best for engraving however, not that the cellidor/plastic ones don't, just that there's a much greater chance they'll crack and get destroyed with use. But then again, you can always have them engraved on the blade too. ;)

Another option for you would be the ALOX Harvester, just like the Farmer, but it replaces the can opener with a pruning blade.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pioneer+Harvester

Personally, I'd actually prefer if he got an ALOX model, but the original idea has always been to engrave the blade and not the scales. The Harvester seems like a good choice as well, but I think he might have a use for the can opener from time to time.

If you decide to go on a standard SAK model, I have lots of boyscout BSA-branded red scales you can have as I dont need them. 

As for engraving on a standard SAK, I would not engrave the plastic, but do it on the main blade.  Lasts much longer and then if you change the scales later the blade is still engraved.

Cheers!

Regarding the scales, I might just take you up on that offer, when the time comes; thanks for the generosity.
Regarding engraving the blade, we agree. I just hope there's someone here in town, with the proper equipment.

I'd recommend a Farmer. It has an engraving plate and is bomb proof. Best of luck in your choice.

I suppose the engraving plate is on the "back"? Might be an option as well, will definitely keep it in mind.

Why not include the Swisschamp,since it has all the cool tools and is DK legal.

You can then avail yourself of our members generosity and obtain the Boy Scout scales.

The Swiss Champ was briefly a contender, but at 8 layers, I'm afraid it'll be too big to comfortable pocket-carry for a 14-year old boy. To be honest, I have a hidden agenda of slowly luring him into the wonders of carrying a SAK/mt - if he finds it too cumbersome to carry, then I've failed that task.

Thank you all, for your tips and ideas - I'll take it all into consideration and go have a look at the different models in real life, when I get the chance. More ideas and inputs are still welcome. Remember, it doesn't necessarily have to be a SAK. :)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 10:47:25 PM

Regarding the scales, I might just take you up on that offer, when the time comes; thanks for the generosity.
Regarding engraving the blade, we agree. I just hope there's someone here in town, with the proper equipment.

Around here Ive found most jewelers or jewelry stores do engraving, that's where I'd check first.  Ive actually been browsing the machines at jewelers supply places where I shop, but they are pretty pricey.  I'd still like to have one someday though.

Laser engraving is an option too, but it doesn't etch very deep in a blade and will wear away, so I would look for traditional type.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 10:55:53 PM
+1 They really are knives that will last a life time :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 11:19:09 PM
I think this is a perfect choice

But it has a blade lock.  Still not legal in DK?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 11:23:21 PM
Okay, when you say "induction" or "acceptance" do you mean he has passed the rank of Webelos  2 and is moving from Cub Scouts into Boy Scouts? Or is he Turning 18 and entering the adult leader side of boyscouts?

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 11:49:10 PM
The Swiss Champ was briefly a contender, but at 8 layers, I'm afraid it'll be too big to comfortable pocket-carry for a 14-year old boy.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 11:58:20 PM
Another vote for the Farmer. Get the boy a good SAK and let him discover the rest. My only pet peeve with it is that access to the blade's nailnick is somewhat hindered by the wood saw.

Otherwise, I'd give him a Huntsman in nylon scales :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 08:33:37 AM
I think this is a perfect choice

(Image removed from quote.)

But it has a blade lock.  Still not legal in DK?
Looks great, but unfortunately the blade lock would limit him from EDC'ing the knife - when there's a locking blade, you can only carry the blade at either your job or hobby (fishing, hunting, etc) and of course to and from those things. I'd prefer something that he can carry with him all the time, something that he'll automatically put in his pocket. :)

Okay, when you say "induction" or "acceptance" do you mean he has passed the rank of Webelos  2 and is moving from Cub Scouts into Boy Scouts? Or is he Turning 18 and entering the adult leader side of boyscouts?

I had a feeling there would be some misunderstanding regarding this. To be honest, I have no idea if this is a tradition that only exists in Denmark or if it is a Christian tradition all around the world. The idea is like this:
Pretty much all babies in Denmark get baptized, unless the parents have reason not to. It's not a law to be baptized, but it is a tradition and is as such expected. When the child becomes 14 years old, give or take, the child can then confirm its believe in God and acceptance to the church. According to google translate, the word I'm looking for is National Church.
The terms "confirmation", "induction" and "acceptance, in this particular matter, has nothing to do with the scouts - I don't even know what the different ranks are. :)

Another vote for the Farmer. Get the boy a good SAK and let him discover the rest. My only pet peeve with it is that access to the blade's nailnick is somewhat hindered by the wood saw.

Otherwise, I'd give him a Huntsman in nylon scales :tu:

Finally another one for the Huntsman - I was starting to believe I was the crazy one.  :ahhh

Offline zimchaz

Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 09:27:05 AM
I got a huntsman for my 16th birthday and to be honest I keep coming back to it as the perfect tool combination.I wish they made an ALOX version of it though.But it was a perfect knife for outdoor boy tasks light making light bows out of bamboo and fishing line! dammit I miss my childhood!!!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 10:32:39 AM
I'd say Ranger, but I like the metal file more than the wood saw.  Huntsman would be good too, and a little more pocket friendly.  If you can get one, a Fieldmaster might be better for a young lad, as at 14 I doubt he'll be drinking much wine. ;)

us Offline dipti

Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 10:50:41 AM
Last year I purchased windlass pocket pal double plier multi tool. It is very light and handy multi tool can be a good choice for a scout.
My never ending love for tomahawks

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 11:44:57 AM
Last year I purchased windlass pocket pal double plier multi tool. It is very light and handy multi tool can be a good choice for a scout.

Seems to me like it's made for more of an urban setting. Besides, it wouldn't be legal in Denmark, due to the thumbstud on the blade. Stupid knife-laws.  :bnghd:

I'd say Ranger, but I like the metal file more than the wood saw.  Huntsman would be good too, and a little more pocket friendly.  If you can get one, a Fieldmaster might be better for a young lad, as at 14 I doubt he'll be drinking much wine. ;)

Another one added to the list of options. :)

I got a huntsman for my 16th birthday and to be honest I keep coming back to it as the perfect tool combination.I wish they made an ALOX version of it though.But it was a perfect knife for outdoor boy tasks light making light bows out of bamboo and fishing line! dammit I miss my childhood!!!

Generally people seem very pleased with the Huntsman - I might even end up getting one for myself.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 12:26:08 PM
My first SAK was a Huntsman and for a teenager it's a great choice - the Vic saw is excellent as are the scissors, plus all the other tools.

The only problem with SAK's is the vast choice!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 02:45:29 PM
Im just not a fan of the corkscrew so I'd probably gift a fieldmaster which is a huntsman with phillips instead of corkscrew.  Or call it a super tinker + wood saw same thing.   :D

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 07:11:41 PM
My first SAK was a Huntsman and for a teenager it's a great choice - the Vic saw is excellent as are the scissors, plus all the other tools.

The only problem with SAK's is the vast choice!

When I started this thread, I had 3 different SAK's that seemed capable of what I was looking for - in less than 24 hours, that list has grown to 5 or 6 models.  :facepalm:

Im just not a fan of the corkscrew so I'd probably gift a fieldmaster which is a huntsman with phillips instead of corkscrew.  Or call it a super tinker + wood saw same thing.   :D

Actually, the corkscrew on my Explorer is the only corkscrew in the house, that I will ever use. Combining that with my dislike of the backside philips... Well, the Huntsman seems to be the way to go. Still haven't had a chance to see any of them in real life. Work keeps getting in the way.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 07:18:47 PM
Quote from: Freaver

Actually, the corkscrew on my Explorer is the only corkscrew in the house, that I will ever use. Combining that with my dislike of the backside philips... Well, the Huntsman seems to be the way to go. Still haven't had a chance to see any of them in real life. Work keeps getting in the way.

Gotcha, I just figured a 14 yr old didn't need the corkscrew.   :D 

If I was a wine drinker Id carry the corkscrew but as Im deathly allergic to something in wine, its low on my wants list.  I dont love the backside phillips but its a better than nothing kind of option.   

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:28 PM
Just get him the swisschamp XLT and a few pairs of cargo pants...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

de Offline matzesu

Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 07:59:52 PM
Well, as i also was a Scout (and Leader), a SAK isnt bad, but i would more recomend a Fixed:
Something like a 10 cm Nieto, or a not that big norwegian Knife, because theye are savier to use as there is now Folder who can snap in wihle use and they are easear to clean when used for eating..

Or a Swisschamp (normal Swisschamp, no XLT) because the Woodsaw and the Mag Glas or a 111mm Vic..

Or something he can use for Camp: mybe a Campfire Guitar and some Songbooks, or something...

I dotnt know his background, some of the Scouts in Germany, are a bit "Traditionel", they only use old Swiss Army Backpacks  "Swiss Ape" because they have Fur on the cover..
And so one..
Whe have a Colorfull Scout Comunity heare in Germany: some are extrem tradiotionell and cocking on fire whyle other carry a whole kitchen on camps..
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent).. Swisschamp (Blue Transparent) Cybertool L (Blue Celidor (custom scales) , Huntsman (Black Celidor) , Victorinox EvoGrip S557 (Red, but sadly lost in my house somewhere) Victorinox Delemont S17 and S57 ..  , waiting for: Swiza D09 Blue

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 10:07:32 PM
Well, as i also was a Scout (and Leader), a SAK isnt bad, but i would more recomend a Fixed:
Something like a 10 cm Nieto, or a not that big norwegian Knife, because theye are savier to use as there is now Folder who can snap in wihle use and they are easear to clean when used for eating..

this is something that should definitely be researched first. when I was in Scouts, fixed blades were absolutely forbidden. I believe it was a council-wide policy; I have no idea if other councils in the US are the same way.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 10:54:21 PM
Quote from: Freaver

Gotcha, I just figured a 14 yr old didn't need the corkscrew.   :D 

If I was a wine drinker Id carry the corkscrew but as Im deathly allergic to something in wine, its low on my wants list.  I dont love the backside phillips but its a better than nothing kind of option.

He problably wouldn't use it for himself, but his parents like to enjoy a bottle of wine from time to time and if he's anything like me, he'll love being able to just pull out his SAK and get the bottle open, before they've gotten to a "real" corkscrew. :D

Or a Swisschamp (normal Swisschamp, no XLT) because the Woodsaw and the Mag Glas or a 111mm Vic..

Or something he can use for Camp: mybe a Campfire Guitar and some Songbooks, or something...

I dotnt know his background, some of the Scouts in Germany, are a bit "Traditionel", they only use old Swiss Army Backpacks  "Swiss Ape" because they have Fur on the cover..
And so one..
Whe have a Colorfull Scout Comunity heare in Germany: some are extrem tradiotionell and cocking on fire whyle other carry a whole kitchen on camps..

Me and my girlfriend actually did consider a fixed blade of sorts (my first thought was a Mora-knife, as that is the only scout-related fixed knife I know of, but as Breezy mentions, there might be some regulations to take note of. I'd hate to give him a gift that he can't use outside of his home, because it's illegal.
I do see your point with the blade folding in on his fingers, but since locking blades require "legal reasons" to carry - such as using at a work-site, when hunting/fishing or camping - a folding knife will just get him in less trouble.

Just to give you an example of the danish law on knives:
A guy working at a gas-station was pulled over by the police in a routine-stop. At some point, the police found a few utility knives in his car, just the normal, cheap kind, that pretty much every store-worker carries with them to open boxes and stuff.
Because the blade can be deployed and locked one-handed, and he wasn't going to or from work, he ended up getting sentenced. I believe the original sentence was either 7 or 30 days in jail, just for having a utility knife in his car. After alot of media-attention and appeals, I think he "just" had to pay a fine.
Because of that one example, I'm terrified of gifting this kid a knife that might be illegal in, what I would call, an every day situation. If he were to go buy a soda on his way home, he could potentially be charged with carrying an illegal knife, just because of that one stop.

I know I dragged this out a bit, but I just wanted to give you an idea of why I moved away from the idea of a fixed blade. :)

00 Offline haackeg

Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 12:31:40 AM
Besides, the Huntsman is awesome!  :-)

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 12:59:33 AM
May be a evolution 18 or evogrip 18 could be a nice choice too.  Victorinox or wenger have the same model if you are lucky to pick a wenger... that would be my choice.  Huntsman it's a nice choice too, but the evo___ 18 is a little bit smaller and much more pocket friendly, also more ergonomical.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%