Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LTG CS Getting strange lately?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
on: March 03, 2015, 09:45:42 PM
  Sent in a Charge TTi in for repair at LTG they had replaced the pliers, per my request, with non-crimpers. Looked like they also replaced both knives, possibly the saw. They also inserted a revised lanyard loop that slides out - had cut that out long ago. Seems they did everything great except replacing the file.

When I inquired about if files were covered under warranty the LTG CS person replied with:

Thank you for contacting Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. The file is covered under warranty and you are welcome to send it in for service. However, looking at your record, you sent in your tool as repair only this last time. Files cannot be repaired; they can only be replaced. I’m not sure if our warranty department would be able to replace the file only. I would recommend that you send it in as repair-only, that way if they can’t repair it, they will call you and ask what you would like to do.

Was kinda wondering, huh? :think: Okay, so have to stipulate repairs & replacements now? But stuff was replaced...  :think:
  So asked if I could buy the file and have it replaced locally, but we all know the answer to that one. Was not wanting to make a big deal out of the file, though I use mine a lot - obviously.

I only meant in my email that we are happy to attempt to replace the file but I cannot promise that this is possible without destroying the tool. Unfortunately, we are not permitted to send out any parts to our tools because they are proprietary to the company. If you would like, I can send you a pre-paid shipping label as a one-time courtesy so you can have your file checked?

Again, another WTF moment. File replacement can destroy a Charge TTi?!?  :ahhh

Did get it sent back for a file replacement only, nothing else. :twak:  Now to see what happens.  :o
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: LTG CS Getting strange lately?
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:49:24 PM
That is a bit weird   :facepalm:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 02:36:37 AM
Destroying everything else? I'm lost!

Maybe the knurled screws crap out? Maybe they are too lazy?

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:13:37 AM
Maybe they just have someone answer your request that only knows the tools from a short look and catalog pages, so he is not able to tell what repair/replacement is possible?

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 10:29:56 AM
This seems to be really rather strange  ???

So they changed every long tool except the file? Does not make any sense to me.  :facepalm:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:13:43 AM
I've sent several tools in over the years.  Can't say I was ever really displeased with the eventual outcome, but more than once it took a couple of trips back to get it right.  They do seem to randomly replace tools that I didn't think needed replacing, nor were involved in the warranty claim.  Since I don't know how the process works in the breakdown, I just give them the benefit of the doubt to knowing better than I what to do once the tool is broken apart on the warranty bench.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:28:40 AM by BASguy »

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 04:50:45 PM
  Had sent the Charge TTi back to LTG last week, on their dollar. The warranty department said 'no problem' and supposedly replaced the file. The Charge TTi is on its way back this week.
  Hope the warranty department didn't mess with the pliers. So despise the crimper as it takes away the pliers usability. Would be more useful if on the back of the pliers. Would be bonza if they put an awl in place of the scissors though. 

Least I had devised a better way of sharpening the cut hook, so this time around the metal should last way longer.  :pok: If only the serrated blade was at least made of CM154 on the Charge models...
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 10:13:39 PM
Carry a utility knife with hook blades. They work well.  :)

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 11:52:22 AM
Wow weird. Hope it gets fixed this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD