Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flashlight for Wave sheath

Offline Ryo Saeba

Flashlight for Wave sheath
on: March 07, 2015, 05:05:51 PM
I'm looking for a new light to put in the loop on my wave sheath to replace the cheapo Screwpop light I'm rocking now. Preferably something cheap in AAA.

I've been thinking of either a mini maglite or the maglite solitaire since I haven't seen anything else around that looks thin enough.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Re: Flashlight for Wave sheath
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 06:22:40 PM
There are literally dozens of single AAA lights on the market.

You certainly cant go wrong with a Maglite,it's inexpensive and has a great warranty,although there were some changes to their warranty at the end of 2013.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 06:58:53 PM
I know there are tons but most of them look too thick to slip in and out of the loop on my sheath easily.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 07:36:59 PM
I know there are tons but most of them look too thick to slip in and out of the loop on my sheath easily.

Here are two pics of my Wave with a Maglite Solitaire in the side elastic keeper.

Firstly,most AAA lights will vary little as far as diameter is concerned.

Secondly,that elastic keeper will stretch to accommodate sizes that may seem impossible at first.

I hope this helps.
DSCN2006.JPG
* DSCN2006.JPG (Filesize: 187.27 KB)
DSCN2007.JPG
* DSCN2007.JPG (Filesize: 183.67 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 02:19:16 AM
The one thing I'd steer clear of is a lot of knurling.  So something like the Olight i3 should work well.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 03:18:03 AM
Subbbddddddd!!

No better combo than a wave and a lil light!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 03:35:50 AM
The one thing I'd steer clear of is a lot of knurling.  So something like the Olight i3 should work well.

I carry a Olight I3S everyday in my Wave sheath. Running around in Afghanistan and it is still there with no sign of coming off.

The light itself is awesome. Not very expensive and bright, plus it has three useful levels of light.

Not sure how much I can say for toughness except I have had it about 5 or 6 months and all of that time it has been used and abused on this deployment with no issues. Also still using the first AAA battery.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 10:47:39 AM
Harley's first hand experience backs up my educated guesswork. :D

I don't use the Wave sheath very much, but when I did I tended to put my Leatherman Monarch 300 in the loop.  Sadly now long discontinued.  I'd guess that Leatherman would now want you to use the LED Lenser P2BM in there, but I'm not sure the focusing head wouldn't be a PITA when pulling the light out of the sheath loop. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 01:06:12 PM
I actually have this AAA flashlight in the loop of my Wave's sheath.

The Stainless Steel construction goes well with the SS Wave.

Hi/Lo/Strobe  claimed 160 Lumens

http://www.dx.com/p/trustfire-f23-cree-xp-e-q3-160lm-3-mode-white-flashlight-silver-1-x-10400-aaa-180254#.VPw43OEau2V

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 05:23:08 PM
Wave sheath (without using the flap) is holding my EDC: a Surge and the Fenix E 05.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 09:57:04 AM
Harley's first hand experience backs up my educated guesswork. :D

I don't use the Wave sheath very much, but when I did I tended to put my Leatherman Monarch 300 in the loop.  Sadly now long discontinued.  I'd guess that Leatherman would now want you to use the LED Lenser P2BM in there, but I'm not sure the focusing head wouldn't be a PITA when pulling the light out of the sheath loop. :think:

Yep the smoothness of the body on the I3S helps when you remove it. Plus it has a pocket clip to keep it from slipping out. Well it helps with the thought that it might since it is in there pretty tight and I bet it would not go anywhere even with out the clip.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 03:53:21 PM
If you'd prefer a clicky switch, I'd recommend the Lumintop Tool flashlight, available for as low as $16 shipped. (use blf coupon code for extra discount)

http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/Lumintop-Tool-AAA-XPG-R5-80-Lumens-Keychain-EDC-Flashlight-p-929235.html[/url]

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 09:35:20 PM
I keep a Solitaire there, but if I actually wore the sheath a lot I would probably go with a Streamlight Microstream, Lenser P2 or the one from Fenix--I can never keep their models straight.  I would lean toward the Streamlight since it's the simplest.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 09:37:42 PM
I've been happy with the Fenix E01 in there for a looong time. Can stand a beating, eats up all leftovers from old batteries, and just generally a nice and sturdy light. Not the brightest, but bright enough for a lot of purposes.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 10:46:56 PM
I've been putting a Thrunite Tis in my Wave sheath.  I've had no issues and the knurling has IMO helped the light stay put.  I also have used a I3 in the same spot with no issues. 
IMG_6992.jpg
* IMG_6992.jpg (Filesize: 211.13 KB)
IMG_6993.jpg
* IMG_6993.jpg (Filesize: 180.13 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Miknitro

Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 04:05:38 AM
I've been toying with adding another edc light, and in my wave sheath as well. I've other daily edc lights but a dedicated tool light I could use and feel the led Solitaire fits the bill.
Not great at 37 lumens, but not bad either.
As well, at like 10-15 clams, no tears if it's lost and just a trip to most retailers and you've got a new one stat.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%