Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just got swindled.

us Offline English333

Just got swindled.
on: March 07, 2015, 11:11:10 PM
I was at a local trade show looking for some EDC gear and saw an awesome little light called the Cree Ultrafire Q5. I tried it out and it put a beam on a wall around 300' away. Wow! Super impressed! So I tried to research the light online but had no data or wifi. And I was trying to decide between this Cree and a Nebo Redline OC I had seen at a gear shop in town and since I'd never seen a Cree before, I went for it. I come home and start researching the Cree and I find out they're going for $4 on Amazon. I paid $25  :oops: . So what do you guys think about this light? Will I get my money's worth?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Just got swindled.
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:23:32 PM
No.
If you are asking if it can do 25 dollars work then yes it can.
I assume you got a sipik68 style light  (plenty of us have them - check the review/flashlight section).
it is a great light but it has a 3 to 7 dollar price. It is better than some more expensive lights but the price you paid is too high.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline English333

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:44:00 PM
Yes. That's the one. I'm still very impressed by it's output. Just wish I hadn't overpayed. If only I had known more about flashlights and less about multitools. Well you live and you learn.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:45:58 PM
Just enjoy it as if you didn't know the price. ;)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 11:55:59 PM
Swindled is a hard word.
Assuming you have a flashlight similar to these...

... yes you did pay a "premium" price, but as dks said, there are lights that cost many times the "normal" price of these that have far less performance. I have 4 of these  (about $7 AUS off eBay) and they are stashed in the glove compartments of the cars and the tankbag on my motorcycle.

at the end of the day, even if we ignore price, they are a pretty decent light. A good level of output on a single AA and tons on a 14500 cell (AA LiION)

us Offline English333

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 12:01:04 AM
Swindled is a hard word.
Assuming you have a flashlight similar to these...

(Image removed from quote.)

... yes you did pay a "premium" price, but as dks said, there are lights that cost many times the "normal" price of these that have far less performance. I have 4 of these  (about $7 AUS off eBay) and they are stashed in the glove compartments of the cars and the tankbag on my motorcycle.

at the end of the day, even if we ignore price, they are a pretty decent light. A good level of output on a single AA and tons on a 14500 cell (AA LiION)

Yes! Just like those two in the middle. Thanks. This post makes me feel a lot better about paying such a premium. What's the run time on an alkaline v nimh v li-ion on this guy? And does anyone have a link to the review on these little guys? I'd love to see what MTO has to say.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 12:06:47 AM
dks did a summary on them a while back so he should be able to link you. Not so easy on the phone.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 02:01:17 AM
OK so here's how I look at it:

You paid $20 dollars  to learn about these little lights.  And you paid $5 for a great little light.  That is a cheap online course.  I would say overall, the experience and knowledge gained was well worth $20 :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 06:50:11 AM
The runtime is OK for the output. These come in single or multiple output versions. A multiple mode model on low will last for a long time.
To find the overview you can search in the review section for "cheap torches" . There is also a link through my signature if you are on a computer.
On li ions you get more output rather than purely more run time.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:52:39 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline baggist

• New User
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 07:39:54 AM
Sounds like you paid 20$ for a trip back in time by two decades. I remember going to coin, gun, and computer shows with nothing but my (or my friends) knowledge of appropriate pricing. Funny how we have the internet in our pocket every day now.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 08:26:24 AM
Now you know.

Next time you'll spend you money wiser.

it's a decent light and a great place to start .

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:34:43 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

Offline zimchaz

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:43:24 AM
I always look at it like this...we're you happy with the price when you paid? If yes then dont worry, as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing .
Now where do I get me one?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 03:47:18 PM
I always look at it like this...we're you happy with the price when you paid? If yes then dont worry, as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing .

Outstanding way to look at things.

Someone will always have gotten it cheaper.  I swear every time I buy something at what I know is a great price, someone will have bought it cheaper. 

Enjoy the light.   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline zimchaz

Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 03:56:05 PM

Someone will always have gotten it cheaper.  I swear every time I buy something at what I know is a great price, someone will have bought it cheaper. 

Enjoy the light.
The value of anything is relative, but worth is what counts. What is an item "worth" to you. Another sere type saying is "your knife is your life" and that holds true.I would willingly trade my car for a buck 110 if that 110 would save my life.
Try to spend without regrets and don't chase the numbers...your wallet will never be full enough. Money is a necessary evil, I hate getting bogged down in it. If I want something and I can afford it, I get it. If not then I dont but when the transaction is over, I forget the price...sorry to derail the thread.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 04:11:23 PM

Enjoy the light.
The value of anything is relative, but worth is what counts. What is an item "worth" to you. Another sere type saying is "your knife is your life" and that holds true.I would willingly trade my car for a buck 110 if that 110 would save my life.
Try to spend without regrets and don't chase the numbers...your wallet will never be full enough. Money is a necessary evil, I hate getting bogged down in it. If I want something and I can afford it, I get it. If not then I dont but when the transaction is over, I forget the price...sorry to derail the thread.

We love a good derail!

Another great post  :salute:.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline English333

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 06:28:07 PM
You guys are the absolute best. Everyone of you has made me feel exponentially better about paying a little too much. This is why I love MTO so much - the members. But yes. Now I know. And next time I buy a light (which will be a while) I'll buy a brand I know and trust. Like that Nebo. But for now I'm going to enjoy the brightest light I've ever owned!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%