Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Deejo Colors - Opinions?

N_N_R · 62 · 2959

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Deejo Colors - Opinions?
Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 03:50:55 PM
I've always wondered, though, if these little fix-blade knifes are comfortable when you want to do exactly peeling work... imagine you're peeling an apple or potato or sth. ?

I'd say yes, it really becomes an extension of your hand with the handle shaped the way it is.  Compares very well to a small paring knife tho being wider from edge to spine and shorter it's like a small butchers knife.   I've become very fond on this little knife and the sheath is just terrific.

edit

The grip on this little knife is outstanding.  I have big hands with wide fingers and its fit great.  My roommate who is a woman has small hands and it also fits hers perfect.     
IMG_5109.jpg
* IMG_5109.jpg (Filesize: 299.87 KB)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:54:06 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 04:00:18 PM
Ok, thanks, guys :D So my next knife-y purchase will most probably be a neck-knife!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 04:12:47 PM
Ok, thanks, guys :D So my next knife-y purchase will most probably be a neck-knife!

You can "dress" up the knife by using your own colored parachord in your favorite color for the lanyard.  The linen micarta scales are quite attractive in person ( greenish ) and "grippy" with wet hands. 

I've always loved the Brous Silent Soldier but it's quite pricy SOG made one with Jason Brous called the Snarl which is neat.  I've hesitated only because I'm not entirely sure the blade is multipurpose, also a bit pricy IMO.     
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:34:13 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 04:32:50 PM
Nice looking knife. Have you ever thought of Laquiole knifes?

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 05:11:35 PM
@Aloha,

The paracord idea's great, I've just never been good with this kind of stuff... lol

At some point I liked those Izula neck-knives, but....... they don't really look thaaaaaaaaaaaaat awesome for the price.

@Crow,

I hadn't considered that as I know a lot less about "regular knives" than about MTs :D So I don't know any brands or makers or anything at all. Just looked these up.
They look kinda classy and old-school in the same time, nice looks, and they also look pretty sturdy. Maybe, if I could find one with a "softer look"... 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 05:27:15 PM
I've not seen the CRKT Ritter RSK mk5 in person but it looks simple and has good reviews.  Another good knife to "dress up" with paracord wrap.  Looks even smaller than the CRKT Minimalist.

MTECH USA MT-20-30
Boker USA Magnum Lil Friend Micro Fixed Blade
Boker USA Magnum Lil Friend Fixed Blade Clip Point

I've looked at these and still look at from time to time.   
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:36:27 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 06:26:38 PM

NOOOO!!!!

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

If with pocket knives you cut your fingers like mad, don't even THINK about a neck knife!!!!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 06:59:12 PM

NOOOO!!!!

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

If with pocket knives you cut your fingers like mad, don't even THINK about a neck knife!!!!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  :facepalm:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 09:57:42 PM
I see what you mean about looks of the knife. I quite like this one, for instance http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46454.msg766487.html#msg766487

Everyone has their priorities. I tend to favour good handle grip and blade agility and judge the way the knife looks by the 'form follows function' measure.

A neck-knife.... :twak: That's the least convenient way to carry a knife in my opinion. Then again, I like reading people's thoughts on the various things they try out.  :whistle:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 10:06:35 PM
@Aloha,

The paracord idea's great, I've just never been good with this kind of stuff... lol

At some point I liked those Izula neck-knives, but....... they don't really look thaaaaaaaaaaaaat awesome for the price.

@Crow,

I hadn't considered that as I know a lot less about "regular knives" than about MTs :D So I don't know any brands or makers or anything at all. Just looked these up.
They look kinda classy and old-school in the same time, nice looks, and they also look pretty sturdy. Maybe, if I could find one with a "softer look"...

I don't own one nor would I pay retail for one but the Izula is a super comfy blade. A little thick maybe for fruit but still a good knife.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:07:54 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 10:09:47 PM
I see what you mean about looks of the knife. I quite like this one, for instance http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46454.msg766487.html#msg766487

Everyone has their priorities. I tend to favour good handle grip and blade agility and judge the way the knife looks by the 'form follows function' measure.

A neck-knife.... :twak: That's the least convenient way to carry a knife in my opinion. Then again, I like reading people's thoughts on the various things they try out.  :whistle:

Oddly enough I also didn't get carrying a neck knife.  I thought why the heck would I want to carry a sharp pointy object around my neck?
I decided to try one out and the CRKT was chose based on so much great feedback.  I'm not one to push my thoughts onto anyone so suffice to say I was wrong. 

It is a light knife that some might be familiar with in terms of wearing a work lanyard dangling from their necks.  Those that have work lanyards I've seen with pens keys and such.  Not at all uncomfortable and I dont wear work lanyards ever.  It's never about speed for me rather than connivence and having this little knife is so much so that I tend to grab it always first.  I can one handedly reinsert it as well which is a bonus for me. 

I mainly use it for work but have used it while fiddling around the house as well.  I liked it so much that I got the other one pictured in this thread.  Well initially I liked it but it fell out of favor due to the weight and awkwardness of how it felt around my neck.  I've since given it away to a very happy recipient. 

I'm a believer and convert to small functional neck knives.       
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:11:05 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline firiki

Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 10:21:19 PM
I believe in small neck knives too, small being the key word, for the outdoors. Still, I have a hard time trusting a sheath hanging upside down  :ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 10:48:50 PM
I believe in small neck knives too, small being the key word, for the outdoors. Still, I have a hard time trusting a sheath hanging upside down  :ahhh

Those were my exact concerns too.  I didn't want to be trekking about and need my knife only for it to be dropped somewhere in the woods.  I carry a belt knife always when hiking but wanted a smaller blade as an all purpose useful tool.  The CRKT really snapped into the sheath firmly and yet came out with just a push of my thumb onto the sheaths ramp.  There is absolutely zero movement when the knife is in the sheath. 

My other concern was not wanting something around my neck that could strangle me should some crazy event occur.  I put on a cord thingy that has a push button tensioner but will break free if the lanyard entangles with something.  IIRC it also came with a clip that could be used in a shirt pocket or belt. 

I couldn't really see myself using a larger neck knife evenif it were light weight.  I recall Serge saying he had an actual Folts one while mine is a CRKT collaboration with Folts.  I seriously dig this little blade.   
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline firiki

Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 11:04:18 PM
Yes, the hazard of death by strangulation is another concern but that can be addressed easily by the tensioner you mention or the use of a material that will snap under some load. I think I prefer positive fasteners on my sheath, like a snap button. Never had a neck knife though.

You mean the Minimalist? I dunno about them finger groves, don't they limit the ways you can hold the knife?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 11:16:42 PM
Yes, the hazard of death by strangulation is another concern but that can be addressed easily by the tensioner you mention or the use of a material that will snap under some load. I think I prefer positive fasteners on my sheath, like a snap button. Never had a neck knife though.

You mean the Minimalist? I dunno about them finger groves, don't they limit the ways you can hold the knife?

The finger grooves are the best part but I can pinch the blade with fore finger and thumb very comfortably.  I can also slip my fore finger into the middle groove while my thumb is placed on the spine the little lanyard aids in this grip.  Reverse grip, even holding sideways  ( no fingers in grooves ) in my hand proves doable and comfy.

I'd imagine with the eyelets on the sheath one could fashion a strap to hold the knife into place as extra protection.     
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline firiki

Reply #45 on: March 12, 2015, 11:25:04 PM
Thank you for your insight :cheers:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 12:09:41 AM
Neck knives are the bomb! I carry my Mora around my neck. Also, you don't have to wear them up side down.
Aloha nailed everything else.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 08:06:00 AM
Actually, I never even thought of carrying a neck knife on my neck :D That's why I think I'll have a problem carrying one. I was thinking of asking someone to make me a proper leather sheath for such a knife... and I'd rather carry it in a pocket/bag/purse/something. I just like the fact that it's a SmALL fixed blade.

My Deejo spent the night clipped to the 5th pocket of my jeans.... it woke up in a perfect mood :D

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 10:07:45 AM
I've not seen the CRKT Ritter RSK mk5 in person but it looks simple and has good reviews.  Another good knife to "dress up" with paracord wrap.  Looks even smaller than the CRKT Minimalist.

My middle finger is longer than that knife.....
I paid for it, not sorry I did because it's cheap enough, but being so small I see no advantage of it being a fixed blade. A closed folder that size will give you twice the knife for ALL practical intents.
If I'm ever there when SHTF, I'm not going to pull out the Ritter RSK5 and stand there happy and self-satisfied.
Honestly, "Any knife is better than no knife" is the only thing standing between it and toy-status....

A bit of paracord on the handle helps a lot.

I liked the look of the SPEW as well, but it also seems small.  My hands are XXL  :whistle:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 12:10:10 PM
Here is my minimalist.

The sheath came with a belt loop that can be positioned for vertical, cross draw and scout carry options. I saw somewhere, for the life of me I can not remember where, a pocket clip for the sheath. And it let's the knife ride very low.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 12:38:48 PM
Here is my minimalist.

I wanted the Tanto, but the local supplier only has it with SE.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 12:51:28 PM
I would like to get the tanto too. However, the SE is sweet with leatherwork and precision cuts. Like cutting gaskets or fine carving.

I still want a tanto blade one.
Nate
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:53:53 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #52 on: March 14, 2015, 05:26:54 PM
Wallet knife :D

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: March 14, 2015, 08:40:33 PM
Nice.  :) Do you have any more opinions on how it feels in the hand?

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #54 on: March 15, 2015, 06:27:05 PM
Well, for my needs it's good, but I do light duty work only - otherwise, I think there isn't enough grip on the handle, it's just too tiny for that. You squeeze it and... basically you don't feel anything in your hand. So.. I'd call it rather.. unstable, though that's not the word.

But it's point is to be small and unnoticeable and that it does well :D

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 15, 2015, 06:32:21 PM
Well, sounds like the compromises involved in the design of the knife worked out for you.  :tu:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #56 on: March 15, 2015, 06:45:35 PM
Well, yeah, it's like... if you want to have something really sharp and small hidden somewhere, unnoticeable, but available all the time :D It's not a super knife, but will make an excellent back-up.

I'm now considering.... a Buck SpitFire in orange..... :facepalm:, please, someone, call my bank and block my account.......

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #57 on: March 15, 2015, 07:37:03 PM
I wonder how that knife would serve on/as a key chain ... :think:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #58 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:01 PM
Speaking of neck knives.... :D

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 10:07:08 PM
Well, yeah, it's like... if you want to have something really sharp and small hidden somewhere, unnoticeable, but available all the time :D It's not a super knife, but will make an excellent back-up.

I'm now considering.... a Buck SpitFire in orange..... :facepalm:, please, someone, call my bank and block my account.......

Yesssssss Buck knives rule, do itttttt :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69