Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Unusual SAKs

jazzbass · 182 · 24035

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Unusual SAKs
Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 09:30:53 PM
Like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331387839642

Exactly! I'm watching for this listing several months, maybe more than one year :)
Seems this lot is overpriced  ???

Yup, probably why it didn't sell. Especially with the rip-off Global Shipping Program. $29 for shipping a single SAK???

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 10:10:24 PM
fantastic thread Jazzbass, I'll be watching with great interest. :tu:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:13:01 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 12:04:37 AM

+100
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 12:43:09 AM

Me too
I am also rooting through my meagre collection - As I would love to post something here - But sadly I don't think I will be able to :(

JB - Thanks so much for this.

Hey - When your book comes out, as well as having all the fabulous info about SAKs - I really hope you put in a chapter about yourself - Or at least the building of your collection.
There must be so many stories behind building your collection and acquiring all this knowledge, (eg like some that are already emerging in this thread)  that I am sure would interest a reader.

The chapter could be titled something like "Confessions of an SAK collector" or "A lifetime obsession" or such like!! :)

Offline Barrysoltz

Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 06:50:19 AM
Please help me identify / worth
20150316_014858.jpg
* 20150316_014858.jpg (Filesize: 138.72 KB)

Offline Barrysoltz

Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 06:51:20 AM
Another picture
20150316_014816.jpg
* 20150316_014816.jpg (Filesize: 141.31 KB)
20150316_014803.jpg
* 20150316_014803.jpg (Filesize: 174.08 KB)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 07:48:52 AM

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 09:29:51 AM
:facepalm:

It says so on the box :D

As for what it's worth: I think on average I paid about €50 for each of the 74mm RocKnives.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 07:47:42 PM
The Beretta Pistol Tool was a knife that Victorinox made for Beretta in the early 2000s. It is a standard Cybertool 34 that came with either black or blue custom plus scales with Beretta inlay on the front and “Victorinox for Beretta” printed on the back. It was made for Beretta pistol owners to disassemble their guns for cleaning and maintenance. It came in a special plastic molded case that included the knife, belt sheath, and usage instructions.

Now, you might be thinking "if this is a standard CT34 with different scales, why is it in this thread?" I mean, if you want to start calling common production knives with custom scales "unusual", then this thread could be filled with thousands of Climbers and Huntsmans. For the most part I agree with that - except in extenuating situations, I don't consider scales as a differentiator between two models of knives. So, what then makes the Pistol Tool "unusual"?

Well, all regular Cybertool models come with the same four standard 4mm hex drive bits: Slotted 4x1/Phillips 2, Phillips 0/Phillips 1, Torx 10/Torx 15, Hex 4/Torx 8. The XXLT and XAVT knives come with both the standard four plus an additional "deluxe" set: Hex 2/Hex 2.5, Hex 1.2/Hex 1.5, Slotted 3x1/Slotted 4x1, Torx T6/Torx T8. The Pistol Tool is an interesting mix of standard, deluxe, and unique bits. It comes with the Hex 4/Torx 8 from the standard CT bit set, the Slotted 3x1/Slotted 4x1 from the XXLT/XAVT deluxe  set, and two bits unique to the Pistol Tool: the Hex 1.5/Hex 2 and the Slotted 4.5x0.4/Slotted 4.5x0.7.

So, I think it pushes the boundary of what can be considered "unusual" (it's certainly not as different as a Fischermesser Jr), but I think it's just different enough to qualify.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 07:59:59 PM
Interesting. So how many CT variations are there? I'm guessing the Surf Tool Japanese one is next then?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 08:33:11 PM
This is my favorite kind of thread!  :popcorn:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 10:43:38 PM
This is my favorite kind of thread!  :popcorn:
+1 :D

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 17, 2015, 12:49:29 AM
Interesting. So how many CT variations are there? I'm guessing the Surf Tool Japanese one is next then?

The Beretta and the Surf Tool are the only two that I know of. I'd love to know if there are any more.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 01:42:46 AM
The Beretta Pistol Tool was a knife that Victorinox made for Beretta in the early 2000s. It is a standard Cybertool 34 that came with either black or blue custom plus scales with Beretta inlay on the front and “Victorinox for Beretta” printed on the back. It was made for Beretta pistol owners to disassemble their guns for cleaning and maintenance.

What is nice about this model is that its function is a throwback to the origins of the Swiss Army Knife  ;)
ie Firearms disassembly  :)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 01:49:27 PM
I'm not a SAK guy but after reading the whole thread, not gonna lie, pretty friggin' cool.

I know for sure I have seen a picture of the Beretta SAK. It was lined up in a safe full of Beretta's  (duh), I just wish I could remember where I saw it!!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 02:46:38 PM
I'm not a SAK guy but after reading the whole thread, not gonna lie, pretty friggin' cool.

I know for sure I have seen a picture of the Beretta SAK. It was lined up in a safe full of Beretta's  (duh), I just wish I could remember where I saw it!!

Somebody call my name?  :whistle:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 03:34:40 AM
For today's unusual SAK I picked a knife that is both boring and interesting at the same time. Boring because it's a Hiker. Interesting because it's an 84mm Hiker. Why is this interesting? Well, for whatever reason, Victorinox chose to simply never make this model as a part of their regular production. I have no idea why. Back in the 1950s and 60s, with the exception of the fish scaler every tool available in 91mm was also available in 84mm. As a result, they almost always made an 84mm and 91mm version of the same knife. There are 84mm Huntsmen, Tinkers, Super Tinkers, Fieldmasters, Climbers and Campers. But - officially - no 84mm Hikers.

So the Hiker Small (as I call it to be consistent with naming conventions) does not appear in catalogs. In over 100,000 auctions I've looked at in the past 5 years, this one here is the only one I've ever positively identified. I got this from a seller in Switzerland who refused to believe there was a saw in it, even after I told them that I was 99% sure there was. It's a custom run for the Pilatus Aircraft company of Stans, Switzerland in the canton of Nidwalden - less than 20 miles from Ibach as the crow flies. Based on the saw I estimate that this knife was made in the early- to mid- 1960s.

Out of all the "unusual" 84mm knives I have, this is one of the few that could be ordered today as a custom run or made cheaply as a mod from available knives. This knife is from the 60s, but all tools in this one are still in production today.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:53:06 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 03:45:50 AM
Yeah, that's awesome!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 03:49:12 AM
Another picture

I really really want this sak , hunting one for ages, to offer it to the love of my life... No luck...

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 06:36:48 AM
Another unusual one - the Spartan Pruner. I've seen this knife show up in a couple other member's collections, but this one I have is the only one I've seen sell on eBay in 5 years. I got it off of a seller in Switzerland. It's pretty rare, if not terribly exciting - it's simply a mid-1990s Spartan with a pruning blade instead of pen blade.

The custom scales are inlaid with the word "Zürihegel" and the coat of arms of the canton of Zurich. What "Zürihegel" means exactly, I'm not really sure. A quick internet search shows it to be some sort of school sports competition for kids in the Canton of Zurich. However more Googling found this article here (in German) that implies that the term "Zürihegel" has a broader meaning beyond the sports competition. I only read German courtesy of Google Translate, which unfortunately doesn't do the best job here so I do quite follow the article 100%. Maybe one of our Swiss or German members know more and can explain.

Anyway, here it is in all it's glory - the Zürihegel Spartan Pruner:

(Image removed from quote.)

Great thread!  :tu:

I picked up one of the Zurihegels at a gun shop in Zurich. Was told it was a special order for a Zurich shooting club.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:41 AM
Another unusual one - the Spartan Pruner. I've seen this knife show up in a couple other member's collections, but this one I have is the only one I've seen sell on eBay in 5 years. I got it off of a seller in Switzerland. It's pretty rare, if not terribly exciting - it's simply a mid-1990s Spartan with a pruning blade instead of pen blade.

The custom scales are inlaid with the word "Zürihegel" and the coat of arms of the canton of Zurich. What "Zürihegel" means exactly, I'm not really sure. A quick internet search shows it to be some sort of school sports competition for kids in the Canton of Zurich. However more Googling found this article here (in German) that implies that the term "Zürihegel" has a broader meaning beyond the sports competition. I only read German courtesy of Google Translate, which unfortunately doesn't do the best job here so I do quite follow the article 100%. Maybe one of our Swiss or German members know more and can explain.

I picked up one of the Zurihegels at a gun shop in Zurich. Was told it was a special order for a Zurich shooting club.
Actually, "hegel" means nothing other than "knife/folding knife" in the Zurich dialect. Every other place in Switzerland it means a "folding-knife of poor quality only a city boy would carry" :P

Quote from: idiotikum
De Hegel isch 'nes eifachs, simples, chlis Messerli[...]das erste Messerli, wo-me de Buebe, wenn si aföh Hösli träge, zum Present git.
The "Hegel" is a simple small knife.[...]The first knife, given to young boys when the start to wear pants*.

*Commonly boys wore "skirts" until about the age of 3 or 4 (I have a picture of my grandpa and his twin-sister, and you can't tell them appart :D). Shows you what the appropriate age for the first knife is 8)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #51 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:15 AM

Actually, "hegel" means nothing other than "knife/folding knife" in the Zurich dialect. Every other place in Switzerland it means a "folding-knife of poor quality only a city boy would carry" :P

De Hegel isch 'nes eifachs, simples, chlis Messerli[...]das erste Messerli, wo-me de Buebe, wenn si aföh Hösli träge, zum Present git.
The "Hegel" is a simple small knife.[...]The first knife, given to young boys when the start to wear pants*.

*Commonly boys wore "skirts" until about the age of 3 or 4 (I have a picture of my grandpa and his twin-sister, and you can't tell them appart :D). Shows you what the appropriate age for the first knife is 8)

I picked up this one the other day

I will take a better photo tonight nice clean little knife :)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #52 on: March 24, 2015, 10:59:44 AM
Cheers Jazzbass, this thread is immense!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 11:37:32 AM

Yes I can! They don't even have the same hair colour!

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #54 on: March 24, 2015, 11:40:50 AM
 :rofl:

Nothing gets past you pfrsantos!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: March 24, 2015, 11:54:04 AM

I doubt you can. I didn't mention the dog because it was not relevant to the story... But the picture shows my Grandpa, his twin-sister and their dog... now try again :angel:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:04 PM
:rofl:

Nothing gets past you pfrsantos!

Wait, what?!

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #57 on: March 24, 2015, 01:37:52 PM
Never seen a small Hiker like that one. Very interesting. Keep those posts coming jazzbass :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: March 24, 2015, 03:17:03 PM

I doubt you can. I didn't mention the dog because it was not relevant to the story... But the picture shows my Grandpa, his twin-sister and their dog... now try again :angel:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

il Offline Shalom

Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 04:44:56 PM
Anyone know about this Wenger ?
SKITOUR
Anyone have one for sale ?
ski Tour.JPG
* ski Tour.JPG (Filesize: 58.37 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!