Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Fellow Nalgene Carriers?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Any Fellow Nalgene Carriers?
on: March 13, 2015, 03:54:09 AM
Anyone else love Nalgenes? I've always chose them over metal bottles and even tried switching to a camelback chute. But I always come back to nalgenes.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Any Fellow Nalgene Carriers?
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 03:59:23 AM
I currently have 2. I've broken many though, all of them were BPA models though. For those of you who don't know, nalgenes are suppose to be some of the strongest water bottles built.

I a hard time finding a good "drinking spout."

I really love the wide mouth bottles but they are too wide. So I tried the rubber inlay peice and every time you set the bottle down the peice falls........FAIL.

So I switched and bought 2 CapCaps by humangear. I love them, until this morning..... I took off the drinking cap and glanced down for a second as I brought it up. MOLD. all over the spout. :(
Still indecisive as to where to go from here.

http://www.humangear.com/capcap/

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 05:29:01 PM
Orange Nalgene Everyday wide mouth - exactly what is standing in front of me :)

I have trouble drinking enough if I have to go to the faucet for every glas. So getting this Nalgene last year was a revelation for me.  :tu:
Instead of you I like the wide mouth for drinking, feels like a glas, not like a bottle, imho.
It's my personal 1l drinking glas  :D  :tu:

For Sweety we got a "normal" mouthed Everyday, she likes it better for drinking. So Far we have no complaints about the bottles, still going strong after a year.  :cheers:

For cleaning, we use Kukident (denture cleaner tabletts) and a bottle brush.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:39:13 PM
Sig make some nice metal water bottles.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:33:02 PM

I use a Nalgene once in a blue moon. Only downfall is they don't fit in a cupholder in my car so I have to keep it on the front passenger seat when i'm driving.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 05:28:06 PM
Only downfall is they don't fit in a cupholder in my car so I have to keep it on the front passenger seat when i'm driving.

This one will.  Its what I and my 13 year old Powernoodle Junior use.  It has a nice flip-top cap that does not leak as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-The-Fly-Water-Bottle/dp/B0047GOONM

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 11:28:45 AM
Camelbak bottles (Better Bottle, Eddy) all the way for me.  :tu:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 05:59:25 PM
Klean Kanteen for our hiking/camping/hunting needs.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 07:39:10 PM
I started with a nalgene stainless steel, it had the little rubber inlay, I thought it was great, you could dump large ice since it had the large opening, my only problem was it would sweat and soak what ever it was sitting on, well that and get warm fast.. I got a insulated sleeve/carrier to put it in but still didn't work. So I did my research and ended up moving on to hydroflask. The first ones we got didn't have the large opening, but being double walled/vacuumed, it made a HUGE diff! I'll put it to you this way, we went on a little family trip to the Bronx zoo one year, I and I packed it with all the ice I could and filled it with water, I also stashed a few bottles of water in the trunk. It spiked 101! We spent at least five hours there and that bad boy was COLD! Needless to say it was gone when we got back to the car, so I took the boiling trunk water bottles and dumped them in, let it sit while airing the car out, and then while we were leaving it took that hot water and which melted the ice, but the bottle temp outweighed it and made the water cold to enjoy the a/c ride home!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 08:55:50 PM
Wow, that was wierd. We were just talking about someone we haven't seen in over a year and ten min later they knocked on our door so I had to cut it short.. Anyway, the only downer that I had over the hydroflask is the large opening, those rubber disks don't fit and one night I woke up with a dry mouth and needed a sip, so when I opened it up and tipped it back nothing was coming, so I tipped back further, and low and behold the ice let loose! And well I wasn't to sleepy after that! But that was back when they first came out. Since then they've have a bunch of diff setups. I wish they still made those black and orange caps, the one with the handle, and I knew if it would fit, that would be nice! But hydroflask all the way hands down!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 12:21:06 AM
You know....I have thought about switching to a Hydroflask........and this place always makes me spend money

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 10:26:58 AM
Ah crap. Late night MTO... Ended up buying a 40 oz from Amazon. What's worse is I chose purple to match my farmer :facepalm: :ahhh

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 11:25:37 AM
Why is that bad?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 11:26:36 AM
I spent money lol

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 03:48:10 PM
I spent money lol
That's bad anywhere, not just here! But that was a good investment, my wife's got the same one(purple) I got two 40's a original blue one and a plain metal, the originals had a diff thead and you couldn't change the tops, and I didn't want the same, so I just got silver, but I kick myself, so I carry mine around in a case.. Another good investment! :D
JR

I cut the paracord out and stitched in a new red one to look better
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:50:48 PM by MadPlumbarian »

hr Offline styx

Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 06:13:15 PM
I spent money lol

you didn't waste it on something senseless so no worries   :cheers:
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 08:13:46 PM

I spent money lol
That's bad anywhere, not just here! But that was a good investment, my wife's got the same one(purple) I got two 40's a original blue one and a plain metal, the originals had a diff thead and you couldn't change the tops, and I didn't want the same, so I just got silver, but I kick myself, so I carry mine around in a case.. Another good investment! :D
JR

(Image removed from quote.)
what is this case?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 11:26:41 PM

I spent money lol
JR

what is this case?
It's from blue ridge overland gear, they have some good stuff including the only one I've seen that will fit a 40oz hydroflask..
JR

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 05:28:42 PM
I've got a few Nalgene bottles and I really like them, especially when you pair them with the stainless steel tatonka cup. Be warned though the new cups don't fit the 32oz bottle.

One I'm going to try is pathfinder set. I know Gareth proved you can boil water in a plastic bottle at the last UK meet but I would like to be able to repeat the result with the same bottle

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 09:34:10 AM
Fussy, fussy. ::)

:D

I've got to say I've always been a Sigg (or Sigg style) bottle user.  That said I don't carry water on me as a day-to-day item either, really only when I'm hiking/camping.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 10:40:48 AM
I've got a few Nalgene bottles and I really like them, especially when you pair them with the stainless steel tatonka cup. Be warned though the new cups don't fit the 32oz bottle.

One I'm going to try is pathfinder set. I know Gareth proved you can boil water in a plastic bottle at the last UK meet but I would like to be able to repeat the result with the same bottle

Nice sets. How do you like the Pathfinder set. Is it worth the money. It has been crossing my mind.
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 11:10:01 AM
Nice sets. How do you like the Pathfinder set. Is it worth the money. It has been crossing my mind.

I can't find anything I don't like about the Pathfinder set to be honest (well apart from the logo!).

It's very versatile and I like the fact you can easily cook with it, I did also get the fish mouth spreader which works as a bail for the bottle and the cup. I'm going to give it a good try at the weekend
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 11:21:14 AM

I can't find anything I don't like about the Pathfinder set to be honest (well apart from the logo!).

It's very versatile and I like the fact you can easily cook with it, I did also get the fish mouth spreader which works as a bail for the bottle and the cup. I'm going to give it a good try at the weekend
Sweet. Let me know how you get along with it this weekend. I have a Stanley set that i have been using and i like it. But the Pathfinder set looks like it will be a tad better.
Also thought that it was cool that the bottle nested nicely in the pot and that you can make char cloth or char anything by nesting the bottle in the pot.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:23:43 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 03:02:11 AM
Can someone post some hydro flasks with tools for size comparison

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 03:30:43 AM
Any in specific?
JR

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 04:00:43 AM

Any in specific?
JR
nope not really :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 04:39:33 AM

Any in specific?
JR
Ok, well how's this, obviously the first is a Nalgene, the middle is the 40oz hydro and the last is the 21oz hydro, as for tools a sak farmer, Maglite, and original leatherman wave, hope this helps..
JR

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 06:54:44 AM

Any in specific?
JR
Ok, well how's this, obviously the first is a Nalgene, the middle is the 40oz hydro and the last is the 21oz hydro, as for tools a sak farmer, Maglite, and original leatherman wave, hope this helps..
JR
thanks! That 40 oz is huge! :) hmm I may have to get a smaller one too!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 05:14:30 PM

Any in specific?
JR
JR
thanks! That 40 oz is huge! :) hmm I may have to get a smaller one too!
Yeah it's a little big, but it all depends on how much you drink too? That 21oz was just to small I had to keep refilling it, cause don't forget if you have ice in it, you don't have 21oz of fluid till it melts, maybe only 12-16? So the same goes for the 40oz.. But now that you have a larger bottle your going to have more ice so maybe only 30oz of fluid? My trick is I use my large Rx containers, and fill them with what your going to drink, this way as it melts it doesn't dilute the flavor(unless it's water) I only drink iced tea, so I freeze iced tea, but also the larger the ice cube, the longer it takes to melt! And with a hydroflask that's key, I filled my bottle yesterday at around 4pm, and right now(12pm) I still hear ice bouncing around, so almost 24hrs still ice and nothing dis-flavored! They have that newer size I think it's 30oz, that might be a little better, say with ice only 20-24oz of fluid? All depends on how much you drink? But yeah the 40's a little big, but it works for me, and I got used to it.
JR

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 07:54:18 PM
Got my bottle today! Pretty happy. It is lighter than expected. :) not as big as I thought... :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%