Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spotting someone else with a knife/tool.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Spotting someone else with a knife/tool.
on: March 17, 2015, 02:20:42 AM
Its always fun to see someone else with a Leatherman sheath or a knife clip on a pocket. Lets hear those stories of either you spotting someone else with a knife/tool you are familiar with or someone else spotting you with the same.

I do not have any great stories, but on multiple occasions I have spotted people with a Leatherman sheath on their belt and approached them to ask about it. Most people I have come across in the past carry something from the Kick, Fuse, Blast line. We just chat a bit and go on our way. I am still waiting to spot someone with a Benchmade or Spyderco clipped on their pocket. Almost all of the knife clips I see are some crappy $10 Big-5 knives.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:21:48 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: Spotting someone else with a knife/tool.
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:37:22 AM
I went on a cruise with Mrs. TJ and her family a couple years ago and our waiter in the dining room for the week had a Leatherman sheath on him. I asked him about it and ended up talking to him for a good amount of time about Leathermans in general. He always carried a Freestyle and something else on him.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:38:32 AM
People with knives and multitools are very common around here. But I live in a rual area where we tind to be more self reliant.    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 04:02:10 AM
I love story threads :D do we have a "reaction to your knife/leatherman" thread yet??

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 04:10:38 AM
I love story threads :D do we have a "reaction to your knife/leatherman" thread yet??

Don't get me started. I hate hearing about people having a negative reaction to a knife/MT being used in its intended fashion.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:16:16 AM

Don't get me started. I hate hearing about people having a negative reaction to a knife/MT being used in its intended fashion.
No way man, I love hearing about it. ESPECIALLY the responses that knife, MT, ligh, and edcarriers have.

The one that sticks in the back of my mind;

Someone asked a carrier why he carried a flashlight. His simple answer;  Hundreds people died because they tried to crawl out darkness In the rubble when the towers fell on 9/11. I will never struggle in a situation where a tool could save a life.

Probably one of the best ways to get to people to realize some tools are needed outside a garage. You NEVER know when you might need it. But you will be prepared if you do.

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 06:47:08 AM
In my line of work (film) the general rule of thumb is.... ALWAYS HAVE A MT!! On multiple interviews I have asked "do I need to bring my tools?" And the response was..."do you have a leatherman?" True story!! So far I have met maybe 3 ppl that didn't have one... I converted 2 of them tho. Still working on the third. I think next time I see her I'm going to slip a mt in her bag  :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:25:08 AM
There's a female nurse in my morning job, she's also a veterinarian. A couple of months ago she fetched me a CRKT with metal scales that was dull, because she knew I carry all those tools and sharpeners. It was a surprise to see she carried that thing since she is so female and beautiful.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:32:39 AM
Someone asked a carrier why he carried a flashlight. His simple answer;  Hundreds people died because they tried to crawl out darkness In the rubble when the towers fell on 9/11. I will never struggle in a situation where a tool could save a life.

Once at badminton all the lights went out at once. Immediately about four torches were switched on - a result of the power cuts that resulted from 13,000 earthquakes in the last four years.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 07:35:43 AM
There's a female nurse in my morning job, she's also a veterinarian. A couple of months ago she fetched me a CRKT with metal scales that was dull, because she knew I carry all those tools and sharpeners. It was a surprise to see she carried that thing since she is so female and beautiful.

So you're saying women who carry multitools generally aren't beautiful?  :pok:
I would run for cover mate...

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 07:40:51 AM
No, I think all of them are beautiful. I find the symbolism, a woman that bites, fascinating.

Offline zimchaz

Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 08:26:05 AM
Last month I was in my local Sainsburys when a police car turned up, and a male copper got out, followed by the littlest blonde policewoman I have ever seen, beautiful as well.Anyway they had come to take a vulnerable homeless bloke away from sleeping in the toilets, and as they walked past I noticed a multi tool riding on her vest.She came quite close and I realised 'wave!' , no too big, different pivots......surge???? I now edc my surge because if that little lady can do it I have no excuse!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 08:33:52 AM
No, I think all of them are beautiful. I find the symbolism, a woman that bites, fascinating.

Ahh, good save.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 08:35:35 AM
Last month I was in my local Sainsburys when a police car turned up, and a male copper got out, followed by the littlest blonde policewoman I have ever seen, beautiful as well.Anyway they had come to take a vulnerable homeless bloke away from sleeping in the toilets, and as they walked past I noticed a multi tool riding on her vest.She came quite close and I realised 'wave!' , no too big, different pivots......surge???? I now edc my surge because if that little lady can do it I have no excuse!

Sure you were looking at the Surge...  :pok:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 09:32:59 AM

Me too.
My story would be easy.......
I used my SOG Vulcan at a restaurant today and did not give one single smurf if it bothered someone.
LOL!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 09:47:27 AM
I fixed up an old Victorinox Grand Prix for a colleague a few months ago - gave it a good clean, reshaped a broken blade, sharpened it and fitted new scales - and now he keeps it in his briefcase.  He gets it out occasionally at work and it's nice to see he's using it more often.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 09:56:26 AM
On training the other week I was walking past the handyman fixing the boiler and he was carrying a Skeletool. I tried to engage him in conversation about it but he didn't seem that enthusiastic. I forget that most people aren't that interested in MT's so I never got to show him my EDC.

On the other hand, I got talking to the son of a resident here at work and he ended up bringing in his LM Surge and ST (can't remember which) and his brand new Juice once it arrived.

It's great meeting like minded people and one of the any reasons I love this site (not in the Harley way)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 11:57:37 AM
Erm in the port where I work, I see quite alot of LM sheaths and |Gerber sheaths also. One guy carries a vic rescue tool

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 01:12:00 PM
Nice thread topic folks

So I was wandering through Sydney airport a few months ago and a couple of cops wandereed by - Looking incredibly tough with all their webbing and belts and cuffs and pistols and the like.
They had loads of pouches on their belts.
But on the back of one of their belts was a Leatherman leather pouch - Yay. I did not see what model it was.
Only one of them had one, so I assumed it was worn by choice rather than standard issue.
I was dying to ask, but they had wandered by, and had their backs to me when I noticed - and I was in a rush
But I've been looking out for him since then!!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 01:58:37 PM
Still thinking of it. Usually women don't need knives and multitools

But some of them do

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 02:35:59 PM
Last week our furnace went out. When the guy that came out to fix it I noticed a Leatherman pocket clip sticking out of his pocket. I said " I see you are carrying a leatherman, what model is it ? " He said,  unenthusiastically " I don't know which ever one they gave me. "   He wasn't a real friendly guy but he did get our furnace fixed  :-\

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 04:54:46 PM
The manager of my local west marine been carrying his PST since mid 80s.
When I asked him about that he said all the new leathermans are POS, he is holding on his PST for good.  :shrug:

I am getting better at spot people carrying MT/Knives, if it is a leatherman or Benchmade I usually can tell.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:58:30 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 05:16:46 PM

But some of them do

(Image removed from quote.)

"

"Dear TSA: This Swiss Army knife wasn't detected through security and I unknowingly carried it on board. Scary!" Seyfried, 28, tweeted along with a photo of the open switchblade. "

WTF?! Me?! I mean... Sir Yously?! Since when do SAKs have auto-opening?!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 05:25:37 PM

But some of them do

(Image removed from quote.)

"

"Dear TSA: This Swiss Army knife wasn't detected through security and I unknowingly carried it on board. Scary!" Seyfried, 28, tweeted along with a photo of the open switchblade. "

When the tweeter has a room temperature IQ?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:27:00 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 05:29:28 PM
Sounds like it wasn't the tweeter, but some journalist being very much a journalist from the wording.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 07:35:47 PM

But some of them do

"

When the tweeter has a room temperature IQ?

I use that expression a lot!!!! And we measure it in Celsius, not Fahrenheit!

:cheers: :salute: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:36:59 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 07:50:50 PM
Last year I had honeybees in the attic.  I hired a man that removes them without killing them to get them out and repair the eave.  His equipment was covered in mud from his job the day before.  He asked if he could rinse his tools off so I said "Sure".  He poured his bucket of tools on the driveway and sprayed them down.  In the pile was a Leatherman Wave.  After spraying them he put them back the bucket and then filled it up with water to soak.  According to him he has always cleaned his tools this way and his leatherman has never rusted.  ???
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 07:52:24 PM
My school teacher that learned me welding, i saw a leatherman leather sheath on his belt, he had a sidekick or a wingman.

My boss, when i was on the first day at my new job we had to make a makeshift pipe to drain the tank of a helicopter. He immediatly noticed that it was a leatherman, he said he also had one but he had to give it up at the airport. Sadly he never bought one again? i carried a swisstool for half a year and everybody keeps calling it a leatherman.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 08:52:42 PM
What I wouldn't do to work TSA.

If I could get away with it I would offer to mail it forward or back for a nominal fee :D

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 10:06:20 PM
Good thread topic Cap'n. Coincidental too, as just last week an IT guy came to my office at work to take away my old laptop and issue a new one to me. When I logged it on to check it was working alright, one of the keys was completely stuck, like the plastic hadn't been cut out. The guy said, oh that's easily fixed and pulls out a Surge to free up the stuck key. We had a good chat about it, he said it gets used all the time and replaced loads of his other tools.

A mighty Surge though to free a stuck key, sledgehammer to crack a nut sprang to mind.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%