Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spotting someone else with a knife/tool.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Spotting someone else with a knife/tool.
Reply #60 on: September 08, 2015, 01:01:10 PM

I've a colleague, who is an electrical technician who carries a Gerber MP400. He has a hip problem; one of those guys who walks really bouncy with knees turned inwards.

I thought this must be a killer job for him, on his feet all day.  But then I realized his MT lets him walk back and forth half as much as most techs.

He uses that tool whenever it can save him a trip, so it is pretty beat up.

Once in awhile, I ask him how that old Gerber is doing.  He says: "Oh, fine." And pulls it out, all pitiful looking. Last week, I took it home and sharpened and cleaned it for him, cut a nail nick in the correct side of the blade, and re-ground the small flat head screwdriver he'd buggered up.

I don't think he knows how much work went into that, but it's OK, as long as he thinks of Ol' Smaug when he uses the blade and it just flies through the material he's cutting. :-)

None of the rest of the techs have enough sense to carry, but one guy who carries an old Vic Executive in his pocket.

That's pretty bloody nice of you mate. Good on you.

+1  :tu:

us Offline tommywp

Reply #61 on: September 08, 2015, 01:21:03 PM
My buddy from work bought some land so I went up for the night to help clear some trees. His 12 yr old son was there and had a Sidekick clipped to his belt. I asked about it and he said 'I like leathermans and Swiss army knifes'. So I showed him my MUT, which he thought was awesome, and told him to check out sakmodder.com to see some cool stuff!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: September 10, 2015, 09:07:28 AM
The pest control company we do work with does issues LM Waves or Charges to their employees. One of teh employees told me teh boss checks them out occasionally for misuse and presence...
Nice to equip your workers with capable tools, I think.

Most other people I see carrying knives or MTs do carry something cheap, many started carrying after getting the tool/knife in question as a(n advertising) present. I guess they don´t think about quality or more suitable alternatives as long as the tool they carry gets the job done.

Let´s face it - we are the (nutty) minority - Identifying MTs by the pocket clip showing outside a back pocket or asking people about their SAKs is not a common thing. But i´m fine with this.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: September 10, 2015, 10:25:40 AM
Let´s face it - we are the (nutty) minority - Identifying MTs by the pocket clip showing outside a back pocket or asking people about their SAKs is not a common thing. But i´m fine with this.

I look at it as a sport or a challenge, correctly identifying a SAK with minimal information, be it in a movie or carried by a passerby. It actually started with my wife teasing me when we watched movies, since she noticed I tried identifying knives and SAKs. :)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #64 on: September 10, 2015, 06:58:43 PM
I met a client the other day who has an old Minichamp on his keys. He also has some crappy Chinese SOG ToolClip knock-off in the cab of his truck. He did me proud, and earned more respect from me.

The thing about MT carriers is that we tend to be adaptable and resourceful by nature.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline tommywp

Reply #65 on: October 06, 2015, 12:01:29 AM
I work in Manhattan. On the elevator this morning, some lawyer looking dude was all dolled up but had an old school leatherman sheath on his belt. Couldn't believe how small it was. Spent the next few hours looking at / reading about PSTs and now I really want to swap a SOG file in to a PST II to make a bladeless tool to carry with a folder. But I should be getting a Vic Crafsman in the mail today for a very similar purpose...ha! Crazy how insatiable the MT appetite is.

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #66 on: October 06, 2015, 06:02:38 AM
Down here in my neck of the woods, just about everybody carries a knife of some sort, so knives clipped in pockets are pretty common.  Sheathed MTs are less popular, although you do see one (usually a LM) now and then.  Actually saw a guy at school the other day with a knife clipped to his pocket and a flashlight on his belt.  It looked like a Benchmade, so I asked him 'bout it and sure 'nuff, it was a Griptilian.  We were both headed to our respective classes and he didn't really seem to be a big knife guy or anything, so no long knife discussion or anything like that.
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #67 on: October 23, 2015, 12:58:57 AM
We took a tour at our police station.
Name that knife.
IMG_5321.JPG
* IMG_5321.JPG (Filesize: 253.73 KB)
IMG_5323.JPG
* IMG_5323.JPG (Filesize: 280.77 KB)
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #68 on: October 23, 2015, 01:20:04 AM
Kind of hard to tell from the picture. Looks like a split arrow clip so probably a Benchmade. Considering its a cop he is probably carrying something not legal for civilians. Maybe some sort of Benchmade auto or OTF. Just a guess.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: October 23, 2015, 01:29:54 AM
How about Smelly?

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #70 on: October 23, 2015, 02:35:25 AM
My guess is a 530 or 531. The handle shape, lanyard hole and clip seem to match.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #71 on: October 23, 2015, 02:58:00 AM
My guess is a 530 or 531. The handle shape, lanyard hole and clip seem to match.
:tu:
When you spotted someone is carrying a knife you own, you will know it right away.

It is a 530 or 530S, the handle is black, so not 531.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:59:29 AM by Kampfer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: January 23, 2016, 02:09:36 PM
Picked up my '45 soldier this morning... on the way back I took it out in the train to fiddle a bit...

So the guy sitting across me tells me his Dad has one too but smaller ('51 Soldier) and shows me his Climber. Then the elder lady (probably around 80 years old) pulls out her Soldier knife ('61 model) smiling and telling us that everybody should carry a knife :D :D.
So, the couple in the compartment on the other side of the corridor pull out their knifes too (Another Soldier '61 and a Classic) :D. Finally, girl in the other compartment (probably not 20 yet) pulls out a Soldier '08 (her brothers) :D :D :D

6 out of 6 Swiss carry Victorinox :tu:
Also, I think we are not knife-shy in Switzerland :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #73 on: January 23, 2016, 02:25:39 PM

Picked up my '45 soldier this morning... on the way back I took it out in the train to fiddle a bit...

So the guy sitting across me tells me his Dad has one too but smaller ('51 Soldier) and shows me his Climber. Then the elder lady (probably around 80 years old) pulls out her Soldier knife ('61 model) smiling and telling us that everybody should carry a knife :D :D.
So, the couple in the compartment on the other side of the corridor pull out their knifes too (Another Soldier '61 and a Classic) :D. Finally, girl in the other compartment (probably not 20 yet) pulls out a Soldier '08 (her brothers) :D :D :D

thats awesome! If I make it to 80 I better still be carrying a pocket knife.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #74 on: January 23, 2016, 05:03:50 PM

That story made me smile, BIG!!!  Thank you!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #75 on: January 24, 2016, 12:51:42 AM
Two days ago I was in line at the gas station and the guy in front of me had a Leatherman sheath on his belt. I could tell it was a Rebar, but asked anyways. He confirmed it was a Rebar and mentioned he likes the capability of the removable wire cutters.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #76 on: January 24, 2016, 04:31:48 AM
Hannahs uncle has always been into knives and such. Never really knew until I walked in and saw a workbench of goodies!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: January 24, 2016, 07:11:16 AM

That story made me smile, BIG!!!  Thank you!!!  :cheers:

Great story  :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline hotworms

• Dog Walker
Reply #78 on: January 25, 2016, 09:27:34 PM
When you spotted someone is carrying a knife you own, you will know it right away.

It is a 530 or 530S, the handle is black, so not 531.
My thoughts exactly.
Survival is simple, just don't die.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: February 17, 2016, 01:16:11 PM
PTRSAK!   :)   :D   :P

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #80 on: February 17, 2016, 01:59:39 PM
This was on the ferry a couple weeks ago.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:55:13 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #81 on: February 17, 2016, 06:38:12 PM
Thats pretty cool Zman.

I've been seeing a lot of knives clipped to pockets lately.  The people are everything from middle aged men to young men.  I did see 2 sheaths on a guys belt when I was at a home improvement store.  One was gerber and the other a no name.  I was going to ask but the opportunity wasn't there. 

Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #82 on: February 17, 2016, 06:40:46 PM
Thats pretty cool Zman.

I've been seeing a lot of knives clipped to pockets lately.  The people are everything from middle aged men to young men.  I did see 2 sheaths on a guys belt when I was at a home improvement store.  One was gerber and the other a no name.  I was going to ask but the opportunity wasn't there.

I have also spotted a few pocket clips lately. No multitools though. I guess it was a Kershaw or something.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: February 17, 2016, 09:13:20 PM
Two days ago I was in line at the gas station and the guy in front of me had a Leatherman sheath on his belt. I could tell it was a Rebar, but asked anyways. He confirmed it was a Rebar and mentioned he likes the capability of the removable wire cutters.

Quoting myself here. I saw the same guy again at the same store.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: February 20, 2016, 01:43:56 PM
This is a great thread  :tu: , Being in the boating industry I see a lot of knives. Even our salesmen at work have them. When we go to our boat shows if you stopped to ask everyone which multitool they were carrying you would never get anything done  :rofl:. Mostly I notice Spydies , Kershaws , and Gerbers. Not too many LM or SAK. Our shrink wrap guys also carry some kind of plier based tool for keeping tension when tying truckers knots. All of my fellow Techs carry Leeks , everyone else Spydies. I also live in a rural town and have been noticing a lot more people carrying some thing whether it be in a pocket or belt. My mailman has a PST

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #85 on: March 23, 2016, 06:37:26 PM
So, what do you see this guy is carrying?
IMG_1177.JPG
* IMG_1177.JPG (Filesize: 335.09 KB)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 06:46:18 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: March 24, 2016, 09:57:28 PM
A guy I went to school with had a PST on a belt sheath on him for as many years back as I could remember :D We had our 15 year reunion a few years back and I asked him if he still had it and he said that he did :cheers:

I have always been a knife person and a tool person so even when I was younger I always noticed stuff like that :tu:

Someone said something about an 80 year old lady back in the thread reminded me of my Granny (my mom's mom) bless her heart.  She always carried a small one bladed pocket knife in her purse and always told me that everyone should carry a knife :climber: I got her knife and still have it after she passed away almost 13 years ago :tu: I She also gave me her dads knife that he had on him the day he died a 3 bladed Case XX stockman and I have that knife still as well :cheers:

I always try and get a knife or something from someone close to me when they die as I think that is always a good memory of them that I can always keep :salute: My first LM was my Grandpa's PST  :twak: My grandma (on my dad's side) gave it to me after he passed and of course I still have it as well. Good memories :dd:

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #87 on: March 25, 2016, 08:22:45 PM
Name that knife.

Is it a Mel Pardue Benchmade 530?

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #88 on: March 25, 2016, 09:03:09 PM
Met a cool guy at this studio and he usually carries a Skeletool, we talked about it for a bit. He likes the clip and the blade on it, and the fact that it has pliers. We talked for a good 5 minutes about that. He said the TSA has claimed a good few.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #89 on: March 27, 2016, 07:32:53 AM
Name that knife.

Is it a Mel Pardue Benchmade 530?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30