Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ontario RAT Model II

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Ontario RAT Model II
on: March 19, 2015, 01:05:15 AM
Anyone got one ?  Tell me what you think about it ?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Ontario RAT Model II
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 01:58:20 AM
I do not have the 2, but have the 1. I hold the RAT 1 very high on my budget knife list. For the price it is very hard to beat. I did not expect to like the knife as much as I did, but its just a great performer. I'm willing to bet the RAT 2 will be just as great. The only thing I can see being different is how it fits in hand. The RAT 1 fits like a glove. If the 2 is exactly the same , but smaller it might not be as comfortable in hand.

If you get one stay away from the black bladed version.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 02:00:38 AM
Subd. I've always wanted an ESEE and a RAT. Maybe this summer

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:49:57 AM
+1 the ESEE is top of my list - if I ever come into some cash  :rofl:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 01:31:36 PM
That's a pretty good endorsement Capt.  I had been thinking about the Buck vantage but I like the size and looks of the Rat 2 more.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 01:50:55 PM
Steve, I have the Rat 2.  There is really nothing not to like about it.  Its a smallish knife - just a little smaller than a Delica - but plenty big for just about anything you might need to use it for.  Nice full flat grind for superior slicing.  Same materials and construction of the Rat 1 - just smaller.  Even the cheap paint on the black bladed version is sorta cool.  Has a very high knife to dollar ratio on the Powernoodle Knife Value Matrix ("PKVM").   

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 02:02:20 PM
Just to add to what the Captain said, I can get a full 4 finger grip on the Model II, but just barely.  A beefy hand probably could not.  And as for the black blade, it does show wear but I think it looks cool.  I have the Rat 1 in both stainless and black blades, and like them both.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:04:26 PM
Thanks guy's ,
I just ordered one. I went for the black handle, satin blade.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 10:11:05 PM
Thanks guy's ,

Excellent choice. I'm sure you will like it.

When I first recieved mine I was a bit skeptical because they come in a box that resembles those cheap no name Chinese knives. I though "oh great I wasted my money", until I got it out of the box and was very pleasantly surprised. It really is a top pick for knives under $30. Enjoy it!  :tu:

I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 10:12:51 PM
Just to add to what the Captain said, I can get a full 4 finger grip on the Model II, but just barely.  A beefy hand probably could not.  And as for the black blade, it does show wear but I think it looks cool.  I have the Rat 1 in both stainless and black blades, and like them both.

I love wear on black blades, but Ontario just uses black paint instead of black oxide or something similar. Looks very cheap to me personally, but if anyone else likes how it looks then all the better.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 10:30:00 PM
Thanks guy's ,

When I first recieved mine I was a bit skeptical because they come in a box that resembles those cheap no name Chinese knives. I though "oh great I wasted my money", until I got it out of the box and was very pleasantly surprised. It really is a top pick for knives under $30. Enjoy it!  :tu:

Thanks, I watched a few reviews on Youtube and they were all really positive. I give an update when I get it.

This will be my first modern knife.I've had my Buck 112 for years and also had a Kershaw 1050 that I sold earlier this year as it was just to heavy and it sat in a drawer for years. I'm looking forward to having a nice light knife that's easy to carry.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 10:39:59 PM
Thanks guy's ,

Thanks, I watched a few reviews on Youtube and they were all really positive. I give an update when I get it.

This will be my first modern knife.I've had my Buck 112 for years and also had a Kershaw 1050 that I sold earlier this year as it was just to heavy and it sat in a drawer for years. I'm looking forward to having a nice light knife that's easy to carry.

Sounds good. Keep us updated.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69