Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

3 layered Explorer - Feasible Mod?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
3 layered Explorer - Feasible Mod?
on: March 19, 2015, 05:36:17 PM
I posted recently in the SAKs that should exist but don't thread that I'd like to see an Explorer in the Syph007 configuration with the phillips opposite the dual openers and no mag glass.

I know the reason it's possible on the 93mm frame is cause the backsprings can be turned either way and still have the middle pin fit. That isn't the case with the 91mm frame.

But ...

What if one would employ a simple trick that has been done with the backlayered tools several times before. The hidden pin trick. So assemble the layers up to the openers the normal way. Then flip the one backspring and pin the middle pin of the backspring to the liners and file them flat. And then add the outside liner the normal way. The liner between the openers would of course have to be cut a bit to provide the space for the phillips to close.

Hope I'm explaining this clearly enough so that our more experienced modders can provide input if this idea could work. I currently only have one Explorer and it's the old mag glass kind so I'm not so eager to tear it up, especially for a mod that I'm not sure would work so I thought to first get some input here before I go hunting for a broken Explorer for parts. ;)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: 3 layered Explorer - Feasible Mod?
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:25:15 PM
Actually you dont need to flip the backsprings for the 91, I'll explain how far I got with it.

Since the can opener will be on the correct spring end, it doesn't need to be modified at all.  You just need to modify the end of the spring that works the bottle opener.  I had both those tools working fine, the catch was if you then use the phillips driver on the existing pivot hole, it hits the openers! 

So then I was going to move the pivot hole a bit and retry, and thats where I lost motivation and concluded it CAN be done, but was more trouble then it was worth, as least how I was doing it.

The other problem, or peculiarity is that you'd have 2 awls on the back since you have 2 opener springs.

I agree though it would be a great setup, but for me the compromise setup of a super tinker is good enough for a 3 layer with mostly what I need.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:38:46 PM
Good to know. :tu:

I know the phillips length would be a bit of a problem but as scibeer showed in his 84mm Explorer project, it's doable too. Much easier with proper bits though. ;)

http://www.swissarmyknights.com/articles/2007/361-scibeers-84mm-madness

Advantage for me would be to have both the inline phillips (hate the backlayered one) and the corkscrew+mini screwdriver combo in a more compact package.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:40:14 PM by enki_ck »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:00:02 PM
Syph, how much does the shorter phillips not fit by?
I was looking at this last week but didn't want to break down my SC to find out.
Thinking I could shorten the openers a little if needed and replace one of the awls with the small screwdriver.
In the end because I have the longer phillips I'm going with the combo tool and small blade this time.
Need to find me some donor SAKs.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 01:30:45 AM
Syph, how much does the shorter phillips not fit by?
I was looking at this last week but didn't want to break down my SC to find out.
Thinking I could shorten the openers a little if needed and replace one of the awls with the small screwdriver.
In the end because I have the longer phillips I'm going with the combo tool and small blade this time.
Need to find me some donor SAKs.

From what I remember it was only a couple mm too long very close, but it definitively hit the openers.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 02:37:54 PM
Wenger philips has 2.5mm hole so it should work in 91 victorinox

i once put a wenger clipblade into 91mm, the nail nick sat to low but judging by the angle wenger philips sick up this may not be an issue
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 02:41:20 PM
also aren't the newer model vic philips for the inline led and plastic magnifiers shorter?
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:57:49 PM
also aren't the newer model vic philips for the inline led and plastic magnifiers shorter?

Yes, that is why I asked about the shorter phillips.  ;)

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 01:10:43 AM

Pffft! You expect me to read every line on every reply?
You must be new to this internet thing  :D
- Terry Pratchett

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 05:21:10 AM

Pffft! You expect me to read every line on every reply?
You must be new to this internet thing  :D

I'm surprised anyone reads any line of any post I make.  :whistle:

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 05:37:36 AM
well i can confirm the wenger inline phillips is about 4 to 5mm shorter than the stubby victorinox philips
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD