Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Perfect School Carry. EDC Notebook/Binder

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
The Perfect School Carry. EDC Notebook/Binder
on: March 19, 2015, 11:23:17 PM
Alright this is a dwelling thought. But I am always looking to improve my edc, and what better way to carry everything to college than always binder?

I've had this Blue Cover since 4th grade. I have 2. And I have NEVER seen one like it. Which reminds me, if anyone has ever seen one for sale. (or something similar) Let me know.

It's roughly 1" thick (this is what seperates it from every other zippered binder) and has a handle and d ring on its binding. Zips closed. The inside has a zipper pouch, 3 pen holders, and a velcro pocket. The other side is just a sleeve. Designed to hold the rear cover of a spiral notebook.

Instead of a notebook I velcro-ed a Cocoon pad down.

Cocoon makes these pads called "Grid-It" and all it really is is elastic bands woven over and under eachother. The elastic also has in layed rubber so it holds tight against anything. Great product and it comes in a lot of sizes.

Note that most of my EDC items are not present, this is what I had thrown in my school backpack.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: The Perfect School Carry. EDC Notebook/Binder
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 11:25:28 PM
Very cool set up!

As far as finding another. Looks like you did not look to hard.  :whistle:

http://www.cocooninnovations.com/cat_info.php
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:28:36 PM
Oh and I DO have permission to carry tools and blades on school property.

Welding, EMT, and Police Academy are some of the main graduates and programs at me school....so a knife is practically as common as a pencil.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 11:30:11 PM
Very cool set up!

As far as finding another. Looks like you did not look to hard.  :whistle:

http://www.cocooninnovations.com/cat_info.php
Oh, I didnt even think to look on their website.....

Then again I have a whopping 12 dollars invested in this

Plus i know it won't attract any attention sitting on a desk or something.

Hence the reason I didn't get a "Tactical notebook cover"

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:44:28 PM
Nice setup :tu: I had one just like that back in highschool, around here those won't go, they can't have zippered ones. I currently have one that you would probibly drool over, it's a I think 1-1/2" zipper, no handle, but all leather.. Also got two smaller zipper ones all leather, but there in my business setup..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 12:51:11 AM
Nice setup :tu: I had one just like that back in highschool, around here those won't go, they can't have zippered ones. I currently have one that you would probibly drool over, it's a I think 1-1/2" zipper, no handle, but all leather.. Also got two smaller zipper ones all leather, but there in my business setup..
JR
Some pictures to drool over would be nice

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:13:21 AM
JR
Some pictures to drool over would be nice
Ok, here's a couple pics, as you can see even the cat wants to get his paws on them!

Oh and here's something else that might raise a few hairs on the back of your neck, I made these from a piece of stock 1/8" aluminum diamond plate I picked up from the local scrap yard for a few bucks, I went to staples and bought two cheap clipboards and took off the clips and then riveted them to the plate, yeah there a little heavy, but I'd rather that then those flimsy thin aluminum ones that cost ten times the cost I paid! :D  sometimes you gotta think outside the box to come up with a better outcome! :tu:
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 03:20:53 AM
All so nice!!!! I was thinking a out a black swiss gear portfolio but didn't want to shed the cash! Do you have any brand names? :D

Those clip boards look great too :D how did you keep the edges soft enough to not cut?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 03:49:34 AM
All so nice!!!! I was thinking a out a black swiss gear portfolio but didn't want to shed the cash! Do you have any brand names? :D

Those clip boards look great too :D how did you keep the edges soft enough to not cut?
Sandpaper! On a palm sander and belt sander! Those edges were so sharp after I cut them with I think a reciprocating saw, all I can remember is it was LOUD!!

What do you mean do I have any brand names? Like do I carry a surefire vs a cheap $5 store flashlight?
JR

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 03:54:03 AM

Sandpaper! On a palm sander and belt sander! Those edges were so sharp after I cut them with I think a reciprocating saw, all I can remember is it was LOUD!!

What do you mean do I have any brand names? Like do I carry a surefire vs a cheap $5 store flashlight?
JR
Nah I mean like is there a name on those leather portfolio/binders?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 04:01:49 AM
A Day-Timer Aviator Cowhide Leather Zippered Organizer Starter Set, 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", Dark Tan, their two diff ones
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 04:45:51 PM
What's the matter kid, shocked on the price?
JR

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 05:51:36 PM
JR
Nah, got lost in notifications on tapatalk! And I fell asleep in the hammock last night!

Honestly not has high as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I'll have to wait till summer to afford one, but I definetly want one!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 06:46:05 PM
JR
Nah, got lost in notifications on tapatalk! And I fell asleep in the hammock last night!

Honestly not has high as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I'll have to wait till summer to afford one, but I definetly want one!!
Ah man, to fall asleep on a hammock, how nice! Which ones did you like those 5 x 8's? What are you going to do rip out the rings and just put in a smaller cocoon thingy?
JR

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 03:51:28 AM
JR

Ah man, to fall asleep on a hammock, how nice! Which ones did you like those 5 x 8's? What are you going to do rip out the rings and just put in a smaller cocoon thingy?
JR
I really like a full size. I'd probably leave the rings! I have more "organizers" that fit on rings. It never hurts to have more pockets!!!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 08:16:47 AM
Oh and here's something else that might raise a few hairs on the back of your neck, I made these from a piece of stock 1/8" aluminum diamond plate I picked up from the local scrap yard for a few bucks, I went to staples and bought two cheap clipboards and took off the clips and then riveted them to the plate, yeah there a little heavy, but I'd rather that then those flimsy thin aluminum ones that cost ten times the cost I paid! :D  sometimes you gotta think outside the box to come up with a better outcome! :tu:
JR
(Image removed from quote.)

:drool:

Great idea Mate  :tu:  I've been thinging of making something for my notepads
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 05:48:24 PM
JR
(Image removed from quote.)

:drool:

Great idea Mate  :tu:  I've been thinging of making something for my notepads
Thanks, they weren't to hard to make so long as you got the right stuff to do the job, there just time consuming and aggravating, let alone a headache!!

All I did was
1. find the metal
2. Find a clipboard
3. Aline the clipboard on the metal to match the diamonds and draw a line around the board
4. Cut the line
5. File down the edging to the line and to be smooth
6. Pop the clip off the old board
7. Aline the old and soon to be new board and put a dot where the clip holes are
8. Drill the holes where the dots are
9. Rivet the clip to the now diamond plate clipboard
And
10. Swing it around to see how it would feel to hit someone over the head with if the time came!! :D
JR

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 09:07:17 PM
Cheers JR,

Now I just need to find some metal (I did try to make one out of some PVC pipe but it went wrong  ::))
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 10:09:59 PM
Cheers JR,

Now I just need to find some metal (I did try to make one out of some PVC pipe but it went wrong  ::))
A flat board out of round pipe :think: something tells me that wouldn't work right? I mean yeah if it was for like blueprints where you roll them up, yeah I've done that a number of times.. As for the metal check the local scrap yard, even if you need it like brand new sometimes they have some good stuff tucked away, there's just no sence paying twice the price..
JR

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:01 PM
Binder is holding up great. I love that when I put it in my fishing backpack it gives it a stiff back to the bag instead of a lump of weight at the bottom.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%