Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Combo Tool or Fish Scaler - If you could banish one to oblivion?

firiki · 108 · 11704

Poll

Choose one SAK tool to be eradicated from production

Combo tool
4 (8.9%)
Fish scaler
11 (24.4%)
None
21 (46.7%)
I'd like a SAK with just those two tools
2 (4.4%)
Actually, I'd like to get rid of the parcel carrier hook...
7 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 19, 2015, 05:08:54 PM

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
The headline says it all, really.

It seems that the combo tool and the fish scaler thingy are not very popular amongst SAK enthusiasts. I thought it would be interesting to find out which one people prefer.

Personally, I would banish none of the two poor things unless I really had to choose one. In this case I'd keep the fish scaler.

How about the rest of you?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:22:56 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
combo tool works just fine as  can opener and bottle opener.  I personally like it.  :)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
I have no experience with the combo tool, and no need for the scaler, but I know people out there who love 'em both, so my vote is for them.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
I don't fish much anymore, but the "Angler" is probably one of the most appropriately assembled sets of SAKs.  Fish scaler and de-hooker.  Cut them up and gut them.  Pliers for those nasty teeth...

At the end of the day, open those bottles of beer, wine and that can of tuna in case you had an off day.  Or perhaps a Deluxe Angler.  It's just too bad it doesn't come with a Combo Tool or it might be perfection.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:36:00 PM by kosmo »
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
I can't see either working all that well in Oblivion....

gr Offline firiki

I've added a fifth option I'm sure some people may prefer.

Now I have some time so I'll rant about the combo tool and why I would opt to exclude it from future SAK making :D if things came to that.  >:(

In brief, because the combo tool is just a good opener tool for cans and bottles. I haven't tested it on a can, I'm sure it will do the job up to a point. It works great on bottle caps, in fact better than its rival, the dedicated bottle opener tool. The downside is that because of how thin it is, only a tad fatter than the standard SAK pen blade, it has very limited ability to serve for prying or as a screwdriver.

Meanwhile, the dedicated tools work well for getting access to food and drink, which is all very good, leaving little to be desired; they may require some dexterity from the user's part but they'll do a good job. What's even better is that they can be used for dozens of other things too, unlike the admittedly admirable combo tool; if that were a sharpened blade I be very wary of it. Lastly, the openers layer is also the awl layer, so there's that.

Which leaves us with the question of the fishscaler. I haven't got one, I've only looked at it briefly at a shop a few times. I think it could be a very useful addition to my EDC Vic Handyman without adding too much bulk as than's one fat SAK already. It can be used for poking or probing, for reaching something, for applying some glue with precision without making a sticky mess of the SAK, for tying or untying knots or as a makeswift fork and also for measuring something rougly. I'm sure there's more. I have no idea how strong the metal on it is.

Having said all that I think the choice of ultimately eliminating the combo tool is purely bureaucratic, all beans counted. The combo tool's ability to shave off a entire layer is astonishing and it makes some very cool, custom SAK toolsets possible. Thankfully I don't have to choose but I thought I'd start a poll nevertheless. 

:worthless:

Thanks to SAKwiki for the pics.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:45:22 PM by firiki »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Banish the combo tool and the fish scaler and never look back.
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline firiki

Banish the combo tool and the fish scaler and never look back.

True, there's this option too. It would make getting a clear image harder, hence the omission.

Then again, I put the 4th option as an alternative to the 3rd one and people have voted for it so it should remain.

:facepalm: :facepalm: Apologies, Captain  :salute: 

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
Which leaves us with the question of the fishscaler. I haven't got one, I've only looked at it briefly at a shop a few times. I think it could be a very useful addition to my EDC Vic Handyman without adding too much bulk as than's one fat SAK already. It can be used for poking or probing, for reaching something, for applying some glue with precision without making a sticky mess of the SAK, for tying or untying knots or as a makeswift fork and also for measuring something rougly. I'm sure there's more. I have no idea how strong the metal on it is.

Someone pointed out on another thread that the Fish Scaler make a good pickle getter, for fishing pickles out of a jar.  That alone makes it a near necessity.  :rofl:

gr Offline firiki

Someone pointed out on another thread that the Fish Scaler make a good pickle getter, for fishing pickles out of a jar.  That alone makes it a near necessity.  :rofl:
The fish scaler can also be used to enjoy some fondue :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fondue
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:12:31 AM by firiki »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
The fish scaler is good for olives and fish balls as well  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Ouch, poor fish

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
None, of course 8)

And with regard to The Hook:

:D

gr Offline firiki

Results so far are clear; out of 30 people:

-3    (10%)     would ditch the combo tool
-8    (26.7%)  would ditch the fish scaler
-12  (40%)     say they would ditch none of the two candidates
-2    (6.7%)    would like to own a SAK with just a combo tool and a fish scaler on it (!)
-5    (16.7%)  would rather purge the SAK from the filth the parcel carrier hook is -for them. I like the hook thing, if nothing else it can be a conversation starter.

Recapitulating, we see that most people don't mind either the combo tool or the fish scaler being around in the solid 40% that say 'None'. Add to those the 6.7% who would like a SAK with just these two tools on it and you almost get a majority, though the remaining 3.3% is not negligible.

As for the tools people would actually ban, the fish scaler seems to be the crowd favourite(?) with a 26.7% against it, followed by the parcel carrier hook with 16.7% (the hook only got listed for statistical reasons since this is another tool that seems to irritate people but I think that's a interesting find nevertheless); finally, the combo tool can sigh with relief for it is safe, for now -only 10% of the voters would have it eradicated from the SAK tool line-up.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Results so far are clear; out of 30 people:

-3    (10%)     would ditch the combo tool
-8    (26.7%)  would ditch the fish scaler
-12  (40%)     say they would ditch none of the two candidates
-2    (6.7%)    would like to own a SAK with just a combo tool and a fish scaler on it (!)
-5    (16.7%)  would rather purge the SAK from the filth the parcel carrier hook is -for them. I like the hook thing, if nothing else it can be a conversation starter.

Recapitulating, we see that most people don't mind either the combo tool or the fish scaler being around in the solid 40% that say 'None'. Add to those the 6.7% who would like a SAK with just these two tools on it and you almost get a majority, though the remaining 3.3% is not negligible.

As for the tools people would actually ban, the fish scaler seems to be the crowd favourite(?) with a 26.7% against it, followed by the parcel carrier hook with 16.7% (the hook only got listed for statistical reasons since this is another tool that seems to irritate people but I think that's a interesting find nevertheless); finally, the combo tool can sigh with relief for it is safe, for now -only 10% of the voters would have it eradicated from the SAK tool line-up.

Nice one firiki  :salute:

When are you sending it off to Victorinox?  :pok:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline firiki

Nice one firiki  :salute:

When are you sending it off to Victorinox?  :pok:
Bah, this is meant to satisfy my own curiosity. You know what they say curiosity did to the cat, I suppose :D

Besides, those cheapskates haven't offered me not one Classic as a reward, so far... We'll see how it goes  >:D

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Awwwww. I think this poll data suggests the haterz are a minority :)

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
Why do we need to banish? :whistle:

With the exception of the Champions/SwissChamps which include just about everything, is there a knive with a fish scaler that is not also available without the fish scaler?

Fisherman (minus fish scaler) --> Super Tinker
Angler --> Climber
Deluxe Angler --> Deluxe Climber

Similar can be said for the Combo tool:

Compact --> Climber
Yeoman --> Explorer
Scientist --> Passenger

But it doesn't work the other way around.  There is not always an option for knives that include fish scaler or CT when wanted.

gr Offline firiki

Awwwww. I think this poll data suggests the haterz are a minority :)

I agree this seems to be the case. I was expecting that, to be honest :)

gr Offline firiki

But it doesn't work the other way around.  There is not always an option for knives that include fish scaler or CT when wanted.

I think that's because these two tools have some peculiarities.

The fish scaler is of limited use and it only gets added on some fishing-related knives or the ones including the kitchen sink :D

The combo tool is trickier, since not only it replaces the much revered pen blade but knives that have a combo tool are devoid of can + bottle opener + awl. That's a lot of your standard SAK to go missing for the sake of one tool!

How much more minimalism can a pocket knife take?  :ahhh  ;)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
With the exception of the Champions/SwissChamps which include just about everything, is there a knive with a fish scaler that is not also available without the fish scaler?

Angler --> Climber

I think you made a mistake about the Angler. The Angler has a pair of pliers, not scissors. There is no factory three layer SAK I know of with pliers and corkscrew. I have an Angler in my pocket right now, and that's partly because I like the fish scaler as a general probing and prodding thingamajig. :)

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club

Angler --> Climber

I think you made a mistake about the Angler. The Angler has a pair of pliers, not scissors. There is no factory three layer SAK I know of with pliers and corkscrew. I have an Angler in my pocket right now, and that's partly because I like the fish scaler as a general probing and prodding thingamajig. :)

You may be right, I was looking at the "original" Angler
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Angler

Is there contemporary Angler with out a fish scaler?  Victorinox may be due that letter after all.

gr Offline firiki

Good catch, Steinar :tu: ;)

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
There is no factory three layer SAK I know of with pliers and corkscrew.

There is actually > http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Oath+of+Rutli , but they are kind of rare, wish I had one or two... :)

gr Offline firiki

There is actually > http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Oath+of+Rutli , but they are kind of rare, wish I had one or two... :)

Great catch there, twiliter. Respect  8)

:drink:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:46:25 PM by firiki »

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
So if we had a compact fisherman, would it have the cs or back sd? Thinking 2 layers, but then if 3 layers, pliers or scissors? Then if scissors, hook, hook with file, long file, or no back tools?

>:D

;)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
The combo tool works just fine for a can opener. Maybe not as well as p38, but I'd rather use that than grind the can against a cinder block or go after it with a knife.

The fishing tool is a special purpose tool. Don't fish? Don't buy a SAK with one. Simple enough.

And I stand by my theory that the hook is an IQ test.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club

Great catch there, twiliter. Respect  8)

:drink:

+1  :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
I was going to build a Ti swiss champ and still cant decide if the fishscaler should stay.  On one hand its technically not a swiss champ without it, BUT, if I drop it and I can also drop a liner and have both saws in one layer which would make the SAK thinner.  But is thinner better or is it better to have everything... i dont know! :D  So I guess I wish they stopped making it so I wouldn't have these issues... :D

Maybe a better question would be... would you really miss the fish scaler if it was removed?   :think:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Maybe a better question would be... would you really miss the fish scaler if it was removed?   :think:
Yes! you would, for ever :o When you know something was in there and now is missing, you can't avoid missing those thing, in mind >:D regardless of actual needs :D Not even to mention when you came across French-fries, olives ... :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%