Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Combo Tool or Fish Scaler - If you could banish one to oblivion?

firiki · 108 · 11701

Poll

Choose one SAK tool to be eradicated from production

Combo tool
4 (8.9%)
Fish scaler
11 (24.4%)
None
21 (46.7%)
I'd like a SAK with just those two tools
2 (4.4%)
Actually, I'd like to get rid of the parcel carrier hook...
7 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 19, 2015, 05:08:54 PM

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
The most important use of the fish scaler is removing the cellophane (or plastic which feels similar) wrapping from newly bought DVDs and CDs quickly without scratching the actual DVD cover. As all of this is moving over to the network, the fish scaler will have to look for new focus areas. :)

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
The combo tool is great!
The fish scaler works for those that want it.
The hook is worthless...I'd vote to remove it from our lives!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club

ch Offline Aerocap

The hook is very useful. It's always good to have something to pull when you have no grip, bicycle chain, tent pegs, barbwire, stucked zipper, wire through a narrow spot or as hot pot lifter, grill grate and to hold the little pen under it to write :-)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:18:42 PM by Aerocap »
C'est en faisant qu'on apprend

hr Offline Subterranean

1) Combo tool alone is a very good tool, especially when you realize all the functionality you get in a single tool place. If I can choose, I prefer the separate openers, but I still find the combo tool surprisingly capable for a single tool. I've used both versions of combo tool (84mm and 91mm) and IIRC the 91mm version feels a bit bigger and more convincing  :think: . However, I would like to finally lay my greasy paws on a Wenger combo tool - I never had one and according to the pictures on the Net it seems a bit bigger and potentially better than the Vic one...? Okay, you would lose the "wanna-be-Phillips-screwdriver" functionality of the Vic combo tip, but nonetheless...

2) The hook is awesome. Period. Since I bought the Climber, the hook became one of my favorite tools on SAK. I've used it countless times.

3) Fish scaler - I don't do fishing so I could only use it as a basic ruler. So this would be my least used tool.  :shrug:

--

There is a tool I would definitely like to see more often on a SAK - a "technician" fine screwdriver, beacuse of its long reach.  :tu:

hr Offline Subterranean

Oops, we necrobumped this thread  :P

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
My three favorite SAK'S have those tool's on them. So no hands off my combo tool, scaler and hook. These SAK'S would not be what they are without these tool's.
IMG_20160613_104219.jpg
* IMG_20160613_104219.jpg (Filesize: 115.89 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
And the fish scaler works as a range finder.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62121.0.html

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
The hook is very useful. It's always good to have something to pull when you have no grip, bicycle chain, tent pegs, barbwire, stucked zipper, wire through a narrow spot or as hot pot lifter, grill grate and to hold the little pen under it to write :-)

Welcome to the forums  :cheers: I like the hook very much myself, too.

Have you seen this thread yet? http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,66478.msg1276099.html#msg1276099 :)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

My three favorite SAK'S have those tool's on them. So no hands off my combo tool, scaler and hook. These SAK'S would not be what they are without these tool's.

You know, the Hunter is a very interesting model  :tu:

gr Offline firiki

1) Combo tool alone is a very good tool, especially when you realize all the functionality you get in a single tool place. If I can choose, I prefer the separate openers, but I still find the combo tool surprisingly capable for a single tool. I've used both versions of combo tool (84mm and 91mm) and IIRC the 91mm version feels a bit bigger and more convincing  :think: . However, I would like to finally lay my greasy paws on a Wenger combo tool - I never had one and according to the pictures on the Net it seems a bit bigger and potentially better than the Vic one...? Okay, you would lose the "wanna-be-Phillips-screwdriver" functionality of the Vic combo tip, but nonetheless...

(Image removed from quote.)

2) The hook is awesome. Period. Since I bought the Climber, the hook became one of my favorite tools on SAK. I've used it countless times.

3) Fish scaler - I don't do fishing so I could only use it as a basic ruler. So this would be my least used tool.  :shrug:

--

There is a tool I would definitely like to see more often on a SAK - a "technician" fine screwdriver, beacuse of its long reach.  :tu:

I'm sure you'll find some ideas on how to use the fish scaler in this thread  ;)

us Offline cody6268

Combo Tool--works when the tool needs to be a layer thinner, or when another tool's in the place of the can opener or bottle opener, like on the Hunter and Equestrian.    Doesn't need to go. 

Fish Scaler, don't know if anyone uses it as intended.    I use the disgorger on the end to straighten model car axles--best non-purpose built tool I've found for the job.  I use the ruler frequently.  And did I forget to mention it's an awesome back scratcher?

Hook--I use it a lot for pulling stakes, carrying haybales, tightening shoelaces, you name it.  Of course, my EDC SAKS mostly lack them because it's not offered in 74mm, 93mm, or 111mm, and my Craftsmen are both pre-hook models (mid '70s, and '87 to '91), but it comes in handy when I need it.

I say none of these tools need to be removed from the lineup.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club

You know, the Hunter is a very interesting model  :tu:

Thanks, the camo ones from back in 08 have a back side Phillips  instead of CS. Makes the Hunter just a little more useful.
IMG_20160414_073943.jpg
* IMG_20160414_073943.jpg (Filesize: 144.87 KB)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
I want to change my vote.  Stupid combo tool, needs to be consigned to room 101.  Fish scalers FTW. :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
I want to change my vote.  Stupid combo tool, needs to be consigned to room 101.  Fish scalers FTW. :tu:
Care to explain why H? Having had no experience with the combo tool it's always interesting to hear others opinions.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
It's a weak pry tool, a poor screwdriver, a bad can opener and a terrible knife.  Ok, it's quite a good bottle opener, but everything has got a bottle opener on it these days.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
It's a weak pry tool, a poor screwdriver, a bad can opener and a terrible knife.  Ok, it's quite a good bottle opener, but everything has got a bottle opener on it these days.
My R2D2 figure hasn't got a bottle opener on it. I'm just saying.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
 :o
Not my keks. And that is a picture of a bottle opener.
My Cheese sandwich for lunch doesn't have a bottle opener.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club

The combo tool open cans (not as good as a Vic can opener but better then a rock and a screwdriver) opens bottles turns screws and stips wire. That's a lot for a small piece of metal. For it's size it offers a whole lot of usefulness.
IMG_20160615_083707.jpg
* IMG_20160615_083707.jpg (Filesize: 124.58 KB)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:04:25 PM by gene stoner »

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club

Wow H, can you tell us how you really feel!   :D
But leave my combo tool alone...for the minimalist fuller-sized SAK, it does many jobs just fine..in fact, it's great!   :gimme:

Offline Anbaric

I have the Cybertool 41, which includes almost every worthwhile tool except either of these two, and is as close as you can get to the Swisschamp without a fish scaler. In fact, I haven't yet bought a genuine SAK with this tool, so it seems a little unfair to judge it, though I can't see myself ever actually scaling fish with a multitool. On the other hand, the ruler would be handy, and the SwissChamp seems like an inevitable future purchase (well, I haven't got a knife with the magnifier...). I prefer the separate opener tools to the combi tool, but then it does make possible the Waiter, currently my EDC for peeling fruit and opening things, and all the knife I need for lunch or a picnic in a tiny package. So that brings us to the parcel hook, something I've never missed on my pre-hook Huntsman or ever found a use for on the Cybertool. Out with it!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
I'm sure I posted in this thread when it first came around, but I'm too lazy to look for my reply. ;)  IMO the Combo tool's biggest failure is that it's too thin to use as a prybar like the regular flat SAK driver. It's not a bad can opener, and I think it's a better bottle opener than the standard tool. That being said, I love my Compact for light EDC.  The fish scaler's best use is as a fork to steal french fries from coworkers. >:D It also has a use as a GPPT (General Purpose Pokey Thing).......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
I'm sure I posted in this thread when it first came around, but I'm too lazy to look for my reply. ;)  IMO the Combo tool's biggest failure is that it's too thin to use as a prybar like the regular flat SAK driver. It's not a bad can opener, and I think it's a better bottle opener than the standard tool. That being said, I love my Compact for light EDC.  The fish scaler's best use is as a fork to steal french fries from coworkers. >:D It also has a use as a GPPT (General Purpose Pokey Thing).......

GPPT????....   :rofl:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Hell yes! There are times when nothing but a GPPT will do!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline AmberDragon

The forked end on the fish scaler is also great for guiding a string with a magnet tied on the end so that you can drop it straight down on a set of keys that just got kicked into a storm drain.  :facepalm:

gr Offline firiki

I want to change my vote. Stupid combo tool, needs to be consigned to room 101.  Fish scalers FTW. :tu:

It's never too late to repent, my child. Your will is noted but the voting is closed now so only those reading the scriptures will know the truth about you. To be honest, those are the ones that matter so I think you should feel good about it.

Show content
I'm feeling kinda silly today.  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31