Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescue multitool (SOG-Leatherman) (Serrated Line Cutter - No knife environments)

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Hello:

I am thinking about if it would be possible a custom work, a RESCUE MULTITOOL BLADE:

A serrated line cutter like the one of SOG, but also a version for Leathermans.
The design is not just this, this is only for inspiration, with a roundend tip and recessed security blade (we would respect copyrights and patented designs)

It is out of stock everywhere, and I think it would be very interesting for many SOG users for no knife environments (a rescue multitool version)
Also a Leatherman version (for example SideKick-Wingman compatible size) would be very welcomed.

I made an inquiry to Tofty, who works with printed steel in Shapewys and told me that printed steel is too soft and
it would be necessary to contact with another blade maker with a laser cut machine (420 steel or better, 2 mm, V edge (no chisel ground) and the grinding and dening the pieces).
Tofty is also very busy to spend time in a project like this but has gently offered his vast knowledge for a possible alternative design (Many thaks Tofty!!!)

I don´t think about special finishes like Damascus, just stainles steel but a black oxide versions would be interesting.
The main problem is that for a few pieces would be very expensive, so it would be necessary to share the cost between interested people.
I have sent a post just a few minutes before this post to this tool crafter to check the possibilities.
It is the only one I know on ebay, no personal interest in this one. Also, if you know others crafters, please share!

TEXAS TOOL CRAFTERS
https://www.google.es/search?q=tool+crafters+ebay&oq=tool+crafters+ebay&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l5.3383j0j9&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

So, would be any of you interested in a custom SERRATED LINE CUTTER component like this???
If so, let me know here.

Many thanks guys
Greetings.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
I have received a reply:

"Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch with us about this.  It sounds like a really awesome project, but unfortunately we're completely filled up on production capacity for custom work for at least the next month.  I'd be glad to get you on the list and begin working out the details in the meantime.

As far as pricing goes, we have a minimum custom order of $200.  Custom functions like this one are going to be in the 200-400 range, but it's not going to be much of a price difference to order 1 or 10 (all of the cost is in the setup and testing).

What did you have in mind for the serrated portion?  I like the wavy soft serration, but I honest have no idea how we're going to be able to duplicate it.  "

So, if you are interested  :whistle:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
What a success of thread...!!!   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
I missed this.

I do love the look of the wave serrations. But why not just use a serrated LM blade?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
What a success of thread...!!!   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
There are just a very few of us here who are SOG fans.
Nate

SEND IT!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
I do like your idea, but I did not post here as I do not have a use for that kind of blade. All uses I would have for it could be covered with a package opener, serrated blade or vic 108/111mm serrated rescue blade.

If it is of any help, I do have a spare SOG V - cutter I could send you?!

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
I missed this.

I do love the look of the wave serrations. But why not just use a serrated LM blade?

I have a saw, but I want a blade useful but at the same time that don´t allow to stab or cut anybody because of his recessed blade.
Something like this:

I do like your idea, but I did not post here as I do not have a use for that kind of blade. All uses I would have for it could be covered with a package opener, serrated blade or vic 108/111mm serrated rescue blade.

If it is of any help, I do have a spare SOG V - cutter I could send you?!

Many thanks for you kind offer, but I have two SOGs with V cutter.
I just wanted something more useful.
Or the old serrated line cutter, but is out of stock year ago  :(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:02:55 PM by alexTOOL »

gb Offline Tofty

One way a tool like this can become a cost effective option, even if the take up is low, is to tack it onto a bigger tool project, for SOGs or for all sorts of other manufacturers as well.

SOG tools are almost all 2mm thick, so from one sheet of 420 stainless (or similar), we could have dozens of different tools laser cut.
The same thing could be done with Leatherman, Gerber, Victorinox, Wenger and other tools, with spacers able to take up any thickness differences.

I did just this when I had the 2014 Challenge Coins made:

Also this would be suitable for all kinds of one-piece tools as well.

If you find this idea of interest please show your support.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%