Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Switch Plier 2.0

us Offline BASguy

Re: SOG Switch Plier 2.0
Reply #180 on: November 14, 2015, 06:22:32 PM

How is it the signal got an owners club before the Switchplier? Or did I miss it. :think:

Maybe this thread can be it

The Signal also had a Haters Club before its release ::)
There's a reason for that......

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #181 on: November 14, 2015, 08:20:34 PM
Well those clubs have their reasoning and fun, as do we with our Switchplier 2.0s
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #182 on: November 15, 2015, 02:57:39 PM
Carrying the switchplier with the crosscut today.

This is one of the few tools that I have not given away or sold or have any intention to. Being able to swap tools helps but this thing is great
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #183 on: November 15, 2015, 02:58:33 PM
I hearby deem this thread the switchplier owners club  :viking:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #184 on: November 16, 2015, 05:03:41 AM
I hearby deem this thread the switchplier owners club  :viking:

Rename the thread! Lol
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

hr Offline styx

Reply #185 on: November 16, 2015, 06:29:41 AM
yea that might be a good idea

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #186 on: January 27, 2016, 04:43:57 AM
Bumpo :D me and the fish love it so far!

hr Offline styx

Reply #187 on: January 27, 2016, 07:40:19 AM
nice shot

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #188 on: January 28, 2016, 01:18:01 AM
Only downside to actual use is the wire crimpers. They can't cut a hanger and they aren't too keen on cutting zip ties cleanly

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #189 on: January 28, 2016, 04:21:57 AM
Haven't carried the Switchplier due to the Power challenge but I did make it "bladeless" today. In anticipation of getting a mini vulcan soon :mail: I figue this would be a good complimentary tool set. I always guessed the switchplier had a good frame for a bladeless mt. This convinces me even more. :cheers:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #190 on: January 28, 2016, 04:30:29 AM
Haven't carried the Switchplier due to the Power challenge but I did make it "bladeless" today. In anticipation of getting a mini vulcan soon :mail: I figue this would be a good complimentary tool set. I always guessed the switchplier had a good frame for a bladeless mt. This convinces me even more. :cheers: (Image removed from quote.)

Love it! I am thinking of losing the blade in mine and replacing with the V-cut.

Also, congrats on the Mini-Vulcan. Those Vulcans look super-sweep. Tanto? Clip-point? Satin? Black TiNi? Details, man!
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #191 on: January 28, 2016, 04:37:10 AM

Haven't carried the Switchplier due to the Power challenge but I did make it "bladeless" today. In anticipation of getting a mini vulcan soon :mail: I figue this would be a good complimentary tool set. I always guessed the switchplier had a good frame for a bladeless mt. This convinces me even more. :cheers: (Image removed from quote.)

Love it! I am thinking of losing the blade in mine and replacing with the V-cut.

Also, congrats on the Mini-Vulcan. Those Vulcans look super-sweep. Tanto? Clip-point? Satin? Black TiNi? Details, man!

I enjoy the v cutter. It rubs the frame slightly being on the right side, but it doesn't bother the plier head at all. The mini vulcan: It will be the satin clip point. I have another week or so before ordering it but with Amazon two day shipping  it will get to me quickly. I am looking forward to it. I have heard a lot of good about it and Nate carries the original a lot. So I will dive right in. I will post pics as soon as I get it.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #192 on: January 28, 2016, 04:42:12 AM
I hate to admit it, but I will definetly be a copy cat!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #193 on: January 28, 2016, 09:30:10 AM
My Switchplier 2.0 is getting a lot of neglect from me. As a "toy" it's kind of fun for a while, but as a tool, it's just not winning me over.

Issues:
As regards a Phillips, you essentially have two choices. A dedicated #1 which may or may not turn something larger, and which you can't deploy with out deploying the pliers first, or a bit driver with an easily lost spring, which also means you have to carry an assortment of bits somehow.
Pliers action has a bit of a stutter. It doesn't travel smoothly,at least not on mine, but kind of judders between open and closed.
SOG's internal components still don't instill as much confidence as LM, Vic, Gerber..... though this may be personal perception.

Bonus Points:
Novelty
Easily modded
Ergonomics in screwdriver mode are the best in the biz

Nett result - it's not getting carried. :shrug: I was kind of hoping this would be the tool to start rebuilding my confidence in the brand, but it's kind of left me a little underwhelmed. I hope that it and the 2016 releases do well for the company, but I'm going to sit these out and see what the future holds in terms of new designs, as well as customer feedback, quality and so on....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #194 on: January 29, 2016, 01:58:57 AM

My Switchplier 2.0 is getting a lot of neglect from me. As a "toy" it's kind of fun for a while, but as a tool, it's just not winning me over.

Issues:
As regards a Phillips, you essentially have two choices. A dedicated #1 which may or may not turn something larger, and which you can't deploy with out deploying the pliers first, or a bit driver with an easily lost spring, which also means you have to carry an assortment of bits somehow.
Pliers action has a bit of a stutter. It doesn't travel smoothly,at least not on mine, but kind of judders between open and closed.
SOG's internal components still don't instill as much confidence as LM, Vic, Gerber..... though this may be personal perception.

Bonus Points:
Novelty
Easily modded
Ergonomics in screwdriver mode are the best in the biz

Nett result - it's not getting carried. :shrug: I was kind of hoping this would be the tool to start rebuilding my confidence in the brand, but it's kind of left me a little underwhelmed. I hope that it and the 2016 releases do well for the company, but I'm going to sit these out and see what the future holds in terms of new designs, as well as customer feedback, quality and so on....

I understand regarding the internal tools. Although they haven't let me down yet. The phillips needs to be a true #2. The Switchplier strongest point is how compact it is. For light-medium duty plier work it is great. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out great for you. What have you used it on that it let you down?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #195 on: January 29, 2016, 02:37:44 AM
Sorry, i'm not sure I was being clear enough. It's hardly seen any use whatsoever, as the tool can't win carry time over it's competitors.

To start with, it arrived with a defective spring and I had to tweak it to get it to function reliably (more details and piccies in my new vs old switchplier thread). Once I'd done that, it still had the juddery pliers. I disliked that i had to fire the pliers out to get one of thetools out (Phillips) but not the others, so I swapped the toolset between the new and old versions so I would have the older (and better) file, and the bit driver tool. This meant I had to find some way of carrying the adaptor piece and a bit set. I took a Gerber Grappler bit adaptor set which had a defective adaptor casting, discarded the old adaptor and put the SOG one in it's place in the rubber holder. Finally, it was ready to carry. The first day I decided to carry it, I pocketted the tool and the tweaked Gerber bit set, and after a short time, the tool fell out of my pocket, because the clip had poor traction.....

Abort!

I should be trying to improvise cunning solutions WITH the tool, not FOR the tool. After several tweaks and adjustments, the tool still wasn't fit for carry in the way it should already be when it leaves the factory. So to summarise, I repaired a factory flaw, swapped the tools for better ones, assembled a supporting toolset with a competitors components to make up for shortcomings, and it still got thrown aside in favour of other tools.

Fun toy, but as a tool, it was too busy presenting problems instead of being ready to solve them. I may revisit it again at some point later when my initial disappointment has faded

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #196 on: January 29, 2016, 03:18:13 AM
Bummer. Every person has their tool. Hopefully the new reactor or powerplay can pull you back to the dark side.....and cookies. We have cookies

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #197 on: January 29, 2016, 10:49:36 AM
I have to admit mine hasn't come out of the drawer either, since a month or so after I got it.  The pocket power plier is equally compact, and for me it's more usable.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #198 on: January 29, 2016, 03:11:49 PM
For those who care, these are $41.98 on eBay with free shipping in the U.S.  International shipping available at additional cost.  Seller bluecrestsports.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #199 on: January 29, 2016, 03:24:39 PM
Bummer. Every person has their tool. Hopefully the new reactor or powerplay can pull you back to the dark side.....and cookies. We have cookies

:D

Unfortunately, the new releases don't particularly appeal to me either. I am glad that they are making a fresh effort, and I'm sure others will like them, but I'm going to pass on them I think  :salute:

I have to admit mine hasn't come out of the drawer either, since a month or so after I got it.  The pocket power plier is equally compact, and for me it's more usable.

Yup! For me the old Sideclip and modded Octane cover things quite nicely in the compact tool requirements. The Wave, Spirit, MP600 and Diesel have the fully loaded carry needs covered, and the modded Fuse, modded MP426, BG Strata, and KF4 take the middle ground. Each to their own tastes and needs, but SOG isn't ticking the boxes for me right now.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #200 on: January 29, 2016, 04:16:26 PM
For those who care, these are $41.98 on eBay with free shipping in the U.S.  International shipping available at additional cost.  Seller bluecrestsports.

Fair price but shipping is $46!

This got me looking though, checked amazon Canada and they are going for 60 CAD with free shipping.  60 CAD is 42 USD, so pretty much bang on the same price as the ebay auction.. so I slipped and bought one... havent bought a new MT in ages so I cant wait to check it out and compare it to the original.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #201 on: January 29, 2016, 09:27:35 PM

This got me looking though, checked amazon Canada and they are going for 60 CAD with free shipping.  60 CAD is 42 USD, so pretty much bang on the same price as the ebay auction.. so I slipped and bought one... havent bought a new MT in ages so I cant wait to check it out and compare it to the original.
Can't wait for the comparison :D

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #202 on: January 29, 2016, 09:48:53 PM

Buy it, but don't have them ship it to you.  Problem solved.    :salute:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #203 on: January 30, 2016, 12:12:36 AM

Long distance relationships never work! :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #204 on: January 30, 2016, 12:58:16 AM

:rofl:

Which is probably why I prefer them  :P Nothing scarier than the potential of a relationship that might actually work  :ahhh

hr Offline styx

Reply #205 on: January 30, 2016, 10:05:31 AM

Which is probably why I prefer them  :P Nothing scarier than the potential of a relationship that might actually work  :ahhh

and all the headaches of those that don't work  :twak:

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #206 on: February 13, 2016, 07:13:52 PM
Ok, i've got it since 4 months , and i'm quite disappointed.
The sping oppening mechanism is funny, the inner tools are quite ok, but:

The plier is weak, i mean really weak, sometimes i try to cut something and they just got stuck (and impossible to move the plier again) or didn't cut well, i already had to cut a wire with my style PS because my switchplier 2 wasn't wanting to cut it!!

The inner tool are a pain in the --- to deploy, you need to open the plier and the piano spring is useless.

So ok it funny but not really convenient as i never know if in can trust my plier.

a video to explain the problem, maybe i'm the only one to have it.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #207 on: February 18, 2016, 12:50:54 AM
:mail:
The plan is to pair the mini vulcan with a knifeless switchplier configuration.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:12:50 AM by Demel »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #208 on: February 18, 2016, 02:26:28 AM
Nice combo. Scissors and file in the Switchplier?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #209 on: February 18, 2016, 02:34:53 AM
Dor the switchplier: scissors and v cutter. I may also carry it with the powerlock. Saw, file, v cutter, and serrated blade. Either one would work

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%