Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Switch Plier 2.0

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: SOG Switch Plier 2.0
Reply #60 on: May 25, 2015, 02:19:13 AM
I know this is a dumb question, but does the SP2 have or not have compound leverage?

It doesn't look like it does, but with all the websites that list it as a feature, and even a lot of user reviews mention it I am curious - what is the verdict?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: May 25, 2015, 02:30:21 AM
I know this is a dumb question, but does the SP2 have or not have compound leverage?

It doesn't look like it does, but with all the websites that list it as a feature, and even a lot of user reviews mention it I am curious - what is the verdict?
It does. Check it out here http://www.sogknives.com/switchplier-2-0.html No dumb questions here  :tu:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: May 25, 2015, 03:21:39 AM

It does. Check it out here http://www.sogknives.com/switchplier-2-0.html No dumb questions here  :tu:

Cool, thanks! Do you know if the OG SwitchPlier had compound leverage?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: May 25, 2015, 03:23:26 AM

Cool, thanks! Do you know if the OG SwitchPlier had compound leverage?
That I do not know. Someone more experienced would have to chime in
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #64 on: May 25, 2015, 03:31:35 AM
SP2 does not have compound levelage. But it is spring loaded.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: May 25, 2015, 03:35:54 AM
Did they lie on their website? It looks like it has the gears as well...and the guy said it in that shot show video  :think:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #66 on: May 25, 2015, 03:39:00 AM
Give me two weeks, I will do a full review on SP2.0, tested the can opener last night it created a huge mess chewing up the can. :facepalm:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: May 25, 2015, 03:50:19 AM
Give me two weeks, I will do a full review on SP2.0, tested the can opener last night it created a huge mess chewing up the can. :facepalm:
Sounds like a plan :salute:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: May 25, 2015, 04:06:15 AM
Did they lie on their website? It looks like it has the gears as well...and the guy said it in that shot show video  :think:

The gears are not what give SOGs compound leverage - dedicated compound leverage tools do not have gears :tu:. I could be wrong, but I believe the gears really only assist with allowing each handle to open at the same rate as the other. The "gears" on the SP2 appear to decorative, as they do not interact with the gears from the opposite handle.

I was asking because I recognize that if the SP2 does have compound leverage, then SOG is employing a new (for them) method of executing it.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: May 25, 2015, 04:07:40 AM

Maybe you just need more practice ;) ? Lol, I rather like the SOG can opener.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: May 25, 2015, 04:07:58 AM

The gears are not what give SOGs compound leverage - dedicated compound leverage tools do not have gears :tu:. I could be wrong, but I believe the gears really only assist with allowing each handle to open at the same rate as the other. The "gears" on the SP2 appear to decorative, as they do not interact with the gears from the opposite handle.

I was asking because I recognize that if the SP2 does have compound leverage, then SOG is employing a new (for them) method of executing it.
Understandable. I'm not an expert on sog technology. I can only go by what is written and said.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #71 on: May 25, 2015, 06:17:59 AM
It started nice, but after a couple bites it really started to go down hill. After half way through it completely deformed the can and stopped all together
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 270.64 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #72 on: May 25, 2015, 10:45:01 AM
If the SP2 uses the same mechanism as the orginal SP it doesn't have gears.  It may or may not have "compound leverage" depending on the relative distances from their respective pivots of the pin on the plier jaws and the slot in the handle that works on  the pin. 

If the pin is closer to its pivot than the slot is to its pivot, then a large movement of the handle will give a smaller movement of the jaw (and therefore a stronger grip on whatever is being gripped), which would fit my definition of "compound leverage".

If you look at the photos (of a dismantled orginal SP) in this post it looks like they are different distances from their respective pivots:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56923.msg1026963.html#msg1026963
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: May 25, 2015, 03:08:07 PM
Does anyone think the sp2 will be the new candidate for a good bladeless mt? Replacing blade and can opener with scissors maybe? Or swapping the blade for a saw?

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #74 on: May 25, 2015, 03:39:44 PM
Does anyone think the sp2 will be the new candidate for a good bladeless mt? Replacing blade and can opener with scissors maybe? Or swapping the blade for a saw?

I think the jury is still out on how strong the pin is that operates the pliers jaw in the SP2 - it was definitely a weakness in the original SwitchPlier.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #75 on: May 25, 2015, 05:03:50 PM
If the SP2 uses the same mechanism as the orginal SP it doesn't have gears.  It may or may not have "compound leverage" depending on the relative distances from their respective pivots of the pin on the plier jaws and the slot in the handle that works on  the pin. 

If the pin is closer to its pivot than the slot is to its pivot, then a large movement of the handle will give a smaller movement of the jaw (and therefore a stronger grip on whatever is being gripped), which would fit my definition of "compound leverage".

If you look at the photos (of a dismantled orginal SP) in this post it looks like they are different distances from their respective pivots:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56923.msg1026963.html#msg1026963

SOG's claims on their website, and put forward in their sales bumph, says this has SOG's patented compound leverage, but it clearly does not. They have made it look like it might with the gear effect at the pivot end, but there is no gearing in play. If you look at the angle of the pliers head when open, and remember that the handles will still be partially open when those pliers close, it's pretty clear to me that the degree of travel of both pliers and handles will be the same. No compound leverage!

Quality wise, SOG have been on a decline for anumber of years. Multitools, fixed blade knives, the Powerduo, all of which have hurt their reputation in my eyes. I would like to think this is the first step of them getting their act together, but the clear error/lie about the compound leverage makes me think otherwise.

They have a lot of work to do before they regain my trust in the brand

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: May 25, 2015, 05:05:19 PM
New keychain fake!:  :whistle:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #77 on: May 26, 2015, 03:26:00 AM
New keychain fake!:  :whistle:

(Image removed from quote.)

That looks like a Stanley Auto-Plier to me (and they are actually 3.5" closed, so bigger than what the photo is representing).  As $2.48 each I've just ordered some, so it will be nteresting to see what turns up.  ???

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: May 26, 2015, 09:59:50 PM
I just confirmed with SOG that the SP2 does NOT feature compound leverage. Just a misprint on the website.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #79 on: May 26, 2015, 11:26:31 PM
Good to know. I still really want one. Sadly I am not sure now if I will be able to get one this payday.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: May 29, 2015, 02:13:39 AM
It hasn't been an everyday carry for me, but I've been using my SP2 on occasion over the last couple months. It hasn't failed, nor do I expect it to. The ground steel linkage pin (not cast like the SP1) seems to be plenty robust. And the frame is stamped steel of a proper thickness, not cast pot metal like the SP1. I can squeeze the plier handles with the full force of one hand and there is no give. 

Another plus I've noted is the return-open spring on the plier jaws. Note this is not the spring that "launches" the plier head, this is the spring that returns the jaws to the open position after you let up on the handles. On my SP1, this spring is a bit lazy, and the jaws don't always open fully like they should. On the SP2, a larger "cloths pin" type spring is used, and the jaws open smartly when the handles are released. (You can see a portion of the cloths pin spring's arm in photos of the tool showing the side opposite the pocket clip.) I think the longer arms on the spring allow it to work better.

As regards the leverage, it is indeed 1 to 1, not compound. The gear-like "teeth" around the plier pivot area are evidently there only for appearance sake. 

I have not tried substituting any other blades on mine, but they look to be standard SOG pattern, so mods should be easy.

Bob :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:14:57 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #81 on: May 29, 2015, 02:50:33 AM
Thanks for the info Bob!

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #82 on: June 02, 2015, 07:06:24 PM
Interesting review from Tool Guyd for the Switchplier. - http://toolguyd.com/sog-switchplier-2-multi-tool-week1-review/

"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #83 on: June 02, 2015, 07:23:18 PM
Interesting review from Tool Guyd for the Switchplier. - http://toolguyd.com/sog-switchplier-2-multi-tool-week1-review/

I don't know...

He's said a few things that are wrong (ie the pliers DON'T have to be deployed to open the the handle tools). But he may have a point about clumping, although I've never had much trouble with it.  I would be pissed if I kept stabbing myself with the awl, so I'll be testing that for sure.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #84 on: June 02, 2015, 08:15:51 PM

I don't know...

He's said a few things that are wrong (ie the pliers DON'T have to be deployed to open the the handle tools). But he may have a point about clumping, although I've never had much trouble with it.  I would be pissed if I kept stabbing myself with the awl, so I'll be testing that for sure.

Allow me clarify this:
you can deploy the knife or file WITHOUT deploying the pliers, just lift the sliver handle up, pull out the tool and close handle after.

The other internal tools all clump and started drive me nut after a while.

Closing the pliers is easy for me, push the button, close handle then close pliers, all can done done with one hand within 2 seconds.
IMG_4089.JPG
* IMG_4089.JPG (Filesize: 164.34 KB)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:27:38 PM by Kampfer »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #85 on: June 02, 2015, 09:37:50 PM
Same as the original then  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #86 on: June 02, 2015, 10:26:19 PM
Here is my SP2.0 reconfigured :
From left to right, Knife blade, super thin washer, can opener, awl, spacer, Philips driver, bottler opener.

In this configuration, the blade doesn't clump with other tools, other tools still clump but much less, tool access is much better.
I can pull out the knife, can opener, or bottle opener individuality without deploying the pliers.
The only tools I must fire the pliers to get to are awl and Philips driver.
IMG_4090.JPG
* IMG_4090.JPG (Filesize: 103.27 KB)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:40:41 AM by Kampfer »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #87 on: June 02, 2015, 10:43:32 PM
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:41:13 AM by Kampfer »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: July 06, 2015, 07:24:43 PM
Where can I get one? Niether Amazon nor Sog has it available. Has anyone ordered from this site before? http://m.academy.com/shop/pdp/sog-switchplier-2-0-multi-tool/pid-1504132?deviceType=true

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #89 on: July 06, 2015, 10:45:23 PM
Where can I get one? Niether Amazon nor Sog has it available. Has anyone ordered from this site before? http://m.academy.com/shop/pdp/sog-switchplier-2-0-multi-tool/pid-1504132?deviceType=true

That's where I bought mine.  Very smooth transaction.

Still extremely happy with my SP 2.0, btw.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD